C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Birdcage repainting around windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Birdcage repainting around windshield

I've got my windshield out (old one cracked) and I want to refinish and repaint the birdcage. There's no rust. But it was painted body color during the last restoration. I want to paint it black.

What's the best way to remove the rest of the windshield urethane and repaint? Do I need a special paint or primer around the windshield? I'm concerned about getting the surface right so the new windshield adheres good and solid. Don't want it pulling the paint off and flying out.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

All birdcages were primed and painted before the glass was installed. I'm not sure you have to worry about adhesion. Talk to the windshield installer and see what they say.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

wire wheel on your drill is the best way to get that stuff off (wear a face mask unless you want to rock a speckled, black face)

it is better to use automotive (not rattle can) paint because (in general) it adheres better, and it seals the metal better. That said, I've only had one windshield pop out - and it did so because the metal underneath the windshield had rusted completely away
Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just did mine last year when I pulled the old cracked windshield out before new paint went onto the new car. I wire wheeled the entire windshield frame to bare metal then I used an self etching primer from NAPA. It is very similar to what the factory used. Then after two coats of that I used POR 15 on the entire metal surface. There was no adhesion problems and when the glass installers came they were very impressed at how everything was all set and ready to go for the new windshield.

best of luck,

Sully
Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sully1882
i just did mine last year when I pulled the old cracked windshield out before new paint went onto the new car. I wire wheeled the entire windshield frame to bare metal then I used an self etching primer from NAPA. It is very similar to what the factory used. Then after two coats of that I used POR 15 on the entire metal surface. There was no adhesion problems and when the glass installers came they were very impressed at how everything was all set and ready to go for the new windshield.

best of luck,

Sully
Cool! Thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the factory actually used a zinc chromate primer to prevent rust.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I agree; the factory used the zinc chromate primer on the whole birdcage, and then some semi-flat black on the glass side of the windshield frame.
Regards,
Alan

Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

So if you were to look at the pillar from the window side, between the molding and interior trim, would you see black or zinc chromate? How far around the edge did the blackout go?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C6,
You'd see black semi-flat on the pillar.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Birdcage repainting around windshield

Quick Reply: Birdcage repainting around windshield