C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey guys, have a couple questions for you

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey guys, have a couple questions for you

I'm getting to the point of finishing up the engine compartment on my '81 rebuild, I have a couple questions for you though.

A/C ---- I've replaced the entire A/C system and will be running R-12 agian, I've read that I need to add 6oz. of oil to the system but can't seem to find out where it needs to go?

Transmission----- I had the transmission (TH-350 non lock-up) rebuilt with a new torque converter, In my haste, I bolted everything together and neglected to put any fluid in the converter before I installed it in the car, does this HAVE to be done or will just filling the tranny via the dipstick tube allow the converter to fill when run?

thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

oil, some in compressor and some in dryer.

tranny, yes filling the trans up will take care of it.
i
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input, I had myself worried about the tranny deal
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would take it apart and put 1 qt in the TC before firing it up. What does the manufacture say about it? Hate to see you have to put in a new TC after everything is together and running just because you forgot one step and didn't go back and fix it.

You don't have to prime an engine to get it started either but every engine manufacture I know says you should.....
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 AM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The pump Will fill the TC within seconds of startup the pump puts out 300-700PSI start it in neutral. The TC also had some in it from the factory I have never seen one shipped dry. Before you start it make sure you(slowly) have 8-10 quarts of fluid in it, the convertor will pull in most of that. Trans fluid is one of the best forms of lube there is so the TC is fine it will just need burped so check your fluid after you take a short spin.

The AC on the other hand make sure the compressor has some oil prior to start up. You can add the rest in the low side with the freon

Get notified of new replies

To hey guys, have a couple questions for you

Quick Reply: hey guys, have a couple questions for you