C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rotors ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 09:13 AM
British Mark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rotors ????

I have some run out on my font rotors, I think this is causing some brake fade under hard braking. My mechanic dose not think re skimming the rotor will help as he thinks it is more likly to come from a cracked vein causing the rotor to move when hot. Has anyone heard of this? and if I need new rotors should I go for standard or get some drilled rotors.

Thanks Mark.....
Old 06-24-2002, 09:23 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: new rotors ???? (British Mark)

Drilling a stock rotor tends to weaken it apparently, and cause failures and such....
stay away from Oriental made substitute rotors....I would not truse either the material or the machineing....I would only replace them if they are thin, also I do not beleive in grinding/resurfacing a rotor, makes them thin and even more prone to warpage...some small grooves are ok, but if over say .600 some deep, time for new rotor....

GENE
Old 06-24-2002, 10:30 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mark,
Haven't a clue about the cracked vein & heat but I've been told that skimming Vette rotors is often a false economy for the reasons Gene gave. I tried drilled rotors on a vehicle once. There was a big improvement when driving in the wet as the brakes didn't take so long to dry off, but the rotors were weakened. A stone bouncing in the road hit one of the rotors & cracked it between 2 of the holes. This crack then chewed up my expensive pads when I next used the brakes :( Never used drilled rotors since.
Paul
Old 06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
British Mark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new rotors ???? (UKPaul)

Thanks,
I have priced up new ones and after market are alot cheaper £80 compared to £130 for GM all plus tax, are the after market false economy?
I only do 4k miles a year.
Mark...
Old 06-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Mark,
I am the first one to admit that I like to save money when it comes to buying Vette parts, BUT, when it came to re-doing my brakes I didnt skimp. These suckers are gonna save your life!
Make sure you dont buy stuff made in china or some other overseas nation. I have seen these things fail and it wasnt pretty. Either buy original GM or another reputable American company. You will pay more, but it will give you piece of mind.

Stew
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only do 4k miles a year.
Mark...
But how many emergency stops do you do a year? ;)
It all depends on the quality but personally, after reading all the posts on here about peoples woes with C3 brakes, I think I'd go with the GM ones. It'll obviously cost a lot more, but brakes are something you really want to work well (ever seen a Robin Reliant after it's hit something?!!!).
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To new rotors ????

Quick Reply: new rotors ????