C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for daily driver status

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 PM
jsera
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Preparing for daily driver status

Hey guys, I'm working on turning my 78 into a daily driver, its got some mods on the way on a to do list for the next two years including DeWitts electric fan and aluminum radiator, borgesson steering, hydroboost, and remote locks/alarm. Also need to work on the electrical system (lights flicker a little too much with the gas), weatherstripping, newer model a/c fan, reconnecting the windshield washer(no clue yet how much may be broken or missing), vacuum a/c vents(might just seal them shut permanently), weatherstripping and some other little things along the way.

Also though much lower priority on the list and not really a needed feature, I really like the thought of a double din with bluetooth, ipod, hd radio and all that jazz in the dash. Not too fond of the flip up systems. I've done some research on this though no one seems to have done what I'm thinking. My idea is moving the a/c control to the ashtray, top row of center gauges to where the a/c control was, and middle row auges to the radio's original position for a double din above that.

If anyone's got any advice on any of the above (cheapest deals, alternative methods, whatever you do don't do xyz, etc.)

And just curious, how many out there use their(non modern)vettes as daily drivers?

Last edited by jsera; 05-23-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've got a single din with all that. originally had the am/fm/cb radio , so it was like updating the communication it was a great upgrade but with side pipes you have to roll the windows up to use the phone. i did very minor trimming of the stock opening.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM
jsera
Instructor

I have a single din in there now but no bluetooth and the interface especially with the iphone is not my preferred, i really like the pioneer p4400bh i have in my current daily driver
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 AM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Add to your list an OD trans.That makes for a nice DD and better MPG's..
Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
TheDucci
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jsera
And just curious, how many out there use their(non modern)vettes as daily drivers?
Not a vette but my DD is a 71 GMC 3/4ton. Older vehicles do just fine. Go thought the important things and keep up on maintenance and drive them. Out of all the older cars I have driven for daily service I have not had a problem. The oldest being a 56 Volkswagen. It’s when older cars sit and are not driven you start have problems.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iokepakai
Add to your list an OD trans.That makes for a nice DD and better MPG's..
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

i have a 2011 edge sport and my 79 corvette at the house and either one i would drive across country. the newer car has more creature comforts and better mileage , but either will get the job done.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I have the Pioneer 5200BT (?). It's a flip up but was an easy install as I had bought an aftermarket centre dash that was cut for a DIN 1. The flip up can be retracted while driving so the gauges can be viewed which is a nice feature.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:36 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

When you go electric fans, be sure to look at upgrading your alternator and the wiring. Our cars and wiring was not built to handle those kinds of loads. Plenty of information on the forum on this topic if you search.

Good Luck
Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 AM
jsera
Instructor

The tranny is already upgraded, dropped in a 200-4R last year and the alternator is a newer model possibly from a c4 if i recall, when it got switched to a serpentine belt system. As far as the radio, i just don't like the flip ups because I'd like to be able to see everything at the same time, and I'm hard headed

Last edited by jsera; 05-27-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM
jsera
Instructor

Thinking about those electric fans, is there any other solution other than the flex fan when you go serpentine? I've heard some horror stories of flex fans gone wild but the whole dewitts deal is kinda expensive
Old 05-27-2013, 04:42 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jsera
Thinking about those electric fans, is there any other solution other than the flex fan when you go serpentine? I've heard some horror stories of flex fans gone wild but the whole dewitts deal is kinda expensive
The summit dual fans are very similar to the Flex-O-Lite dual puller fans I use. With 2800cfm they work well for @$300.
I use my 82 for a daily driver most of the year. They hold up very well and with the overdrive trans I think makes all the difference!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM
jsera
Instructor

can you install this with the stock radiator?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM
jsera
Instructor

Been looking at the electric fans. Anyone have any pics or experience with the single fan spal three thousand something btu unit? Any advice on wiring?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
jsera
Instructor

Anyone?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most guys go with the double Spahl fans in there. I did. My 78 daily driver had all those issues, and as I went down the list, I realized I wanted more horsepower--and mileage--so the LS3 swap started. It will be my daily driver--when it is done.

You touched on most of the weaknesses of our beauties. Search on hear for headlight upgrade--it is simple--turns out ALL the amps for the headlights run through the dash switch--and that makes them dim...I'm running some heavier gauge wire with a couple relays. Like I said, search on the forum. The AC and vents--search on c4 fan upgrade. That seems the standard; some say just the heavier gauge ground helps. Parallel flow condenser is probably required--and that ties in with your electric fan decision too.

As far as your updated controls, that sounds like quite a project! I've not seen too many reworked dashes that come out looking professional--though some of these guys have built some beautiful custom fiberglass work--LED's etc.

Keep us posted no matter what--want to see your pictures!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 79 that I use as a daily driver. Its got a 475hp engine built around the original block with the DeWitts aluminum radiator and dual SPAL fans to keep up on the hot days with upgraded wiring and alternator to keep up with the fans. Also has headers and true duals. I also have an older kenwood krc-3006 dual **** head unit that will accept a line in through the cd changer input. That's mated to aftermarket speakers in the dash powered by the head unit with an amp powering 2 6x9s and a sub in a speaker box (available on ebay) in the rear. I'd put the sound system up against any modern OEM system. I did have a keyless entry system installed that integrates with the power locks.

Other than that, the car is 100% stock and a joy to drive in almost any weather conditions. The stock ac can keep up if a few things are done. The water from the heater core needs to be shut off on really hot days, either with a properly functioning vacuum shut off (as its designed) or with a manual shut off (my vacuum shut off isn't working). The weatherstripping also needs to seal very well. I have glass tops, so my car is like a greenhouse (and its black) and my stock ac keeps up even in 100 degree weather.

I don't mind the high (by today's standards) cruising rpms. The wide ratio trans gives a nice compromise, in my opinion.

I love having the experience of driving a 30+ year old car every day. I just wanted it go go as fast as the old big blocks, yet keeping the original experience. That's why I opted to keep the original block instead of an ls3, etc. Too many upgrades, and you lose the original experience in my opinion. If I want rack and pinion, an ls3, and built in electronics, I'll get a c6. Nothing against people who do that to their cars; I'm glad that people are making the cars the way they want them so that they'll love driving them, just like how I made my car how I want it, and I love driving it!

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing for daily driver status

Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

its funny that most of the people that go to the time and expense of an ls swap don't drive them daily. ant reference the heat off the t tops , i am having that transparent film put on them that cuts out the heat but lets light thru.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I cared much about mileage, I would not drive a corvette--even an LS3 Vette--but I'm wondering about your pump pain with 475 hp and no OD?

In FL where the air is mostly water about half the year, the AC has to struggle pretty hard. I guess climate control would depend on the climate--most guys struggle pretty hard to keep these things cool. The Dual Spahls probably help some--you still have R12? Once I lost the R12, nothing I did made that system work. Windows down!

Finally was tired of the fight, but wanted to drive it--so I couldn't see an incremental plan...I'm daily driving my newer 1990 F150 4x4! It is incentive to finish the build!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettegineer
If I cared much about mileage, I would not drive a corvette--even an LS3 Vette--but I'm wondering about your pump pain with 475 hp and no OD?

In FL where the air is mostly water about half the year, the AC has to struggle pretty hard. I guess climate control would depend on the climate--most guys struggle pretty hard to keep these things cool. The Dual Spahls probably help some--you still have R12? Once I lost the R12, nothing I did made that system work. Windows down!

Finally was tired of the fight, but wanted to drive it--so I couldn't see an incremental plan...I'm daily driving my newer 1990 F150 4x4! It is incentive to finish the build!
Yeah, my gas mileage is pretty bad by today's standards. I think I'm getting around 12-15MPG. My speedometer isn't really accurate, and I've tried different speedometer gears that had been too high and too low so I've given up and don't know exactly how fast I'm going or how far I'm going lol.

The 79 Vette is my 2nd newest car (my newest is a DeLorean), so I know I'm paying at the pump. The DeLorean of course gets the best gas mileage, but my 61 Vette 230HP isn't all that bad, especially considering I've got a 3.70 (I think) rear. It gets around 17 on the highway. My 72 Buick Skylark currently has a 350, but I'm having a high performance (500+ HP easy) 455 built for it. Even with a 2.73 rear, I'm still a little nervous haha.

As far as I know, I still have R12. If the time ever comes where I have to convert, I'll bite the bullet and do it, but it's working for now. If I'm on the highway, I don't need to turn on the fans specifically for the AC, but if I'm on back roads or in traffic, I need to turn on both SPALs to get it cool. My mechanic installed a manual override on/off(temperature controlled) switch for the fans. I can't emphasize enough how much of a difference properly fitting weatherstripping makes. Same with a properly working water cutoff valve... My AC is marginal with the water flowing, and can't keep up at all when outside temps hit 80. But with the water not flowing to the core, I can make it work even on 100 degree humid Maryland days.

I hope your build goes well! It's always a pleasure to see these cars on the road, but even more so on weekdays

Quick Reply: Preparing for daily driver status