C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Ball Joint Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lower Ball Joint Question

Typically the service manager will tell you the bad news that you need new ball joints when the alignment can't be performed or when they won't take grease. I ordered a suspension rebuild kit (not Moog) from on of the Corvette parts vendors and installed everything and had it aligned with no issues. I put about 400 miles on the vehicle and garaged it for the winter. My spring ritual is to obtain an oil change and chassis lube. The tech informed me that the lower ball joints won't take grease with the wheels on the ground. At my garage, I jacked the vehicle to take the weight off the wheels and confirmed that they would not take grease with steering centered, left or right. I unscrewed the Zerk fittings and they passed grease properly. It seems odd that the grease channels in both lower ball joints would be blocked in such a short period of use. I assume that replacement with Moog is necessary.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try moving the wheels back and forth while applying the grease. Have a buddy turn the steering wheel while you apply pressure. Sometimes that helps. It's easier than replacing everything.
Good luck.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I just has my ball joints - upper and lower - replaced after 225K miles. Mechanic had a hard time getting them off as they were riveted in place. Glad I bought Moog from Rock Auto for just about $25 apiece. Can't get much cheaper than that. Made a great difference in drive. Originals just flat worn out.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Default A real old trick! Don't call me crazy!

Fill up one of those little grease gun units and fill it with kerosene. Naturally try not to get it on the rubber boot, but keep shooting it in until the old dried grease is flushed out of the joint. Naturally you will have to allow the kerosene to evaporate before putting good quality grease back in. Also don't try this around anything that will ignite.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 818 Likes on 563 Posts

probably just the fittings. Keep it simple, change out the fittings first, whenever the ball joint ( or U joint) won't take grease.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower Ball Joint Question

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joint Question