C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Rear Tail Lamps & Backup Lights Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Miccar
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1972 Rear Tail Lamps & Backup Lights Help

One of my rear backup lights was not working and had been like that for a long time. Last week, I got under the car and reseated the plug in the socket by fiddling with the rear light connection. Then both backup lights worked for a few days. Then the other backup light went out. After determining it wasn't the bulb, I fiddled with rear plug but nothing happened. I removed the light and crimped the fitting to hold it in place and reassembled everything. Now both backup lights, tail lamps and rear side markers won't illuminate. The brake lights and rear directionals do work however. I noticed a black ground wire hanging on the driver side, but don't know where it gets connected. There is a metal ring terminal on the back of each light. Is this where it might get connected? I also noticed a striped brown wire that was cut, but there was no copper showing and it looked like it might have been that way for awhile. Should I splice these wires together as they are the same color? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi m,
The wire you see is a ground for the rear lighting harness.
It's fastened to the inner side of the driver's side frame rail with a small bolt.
You should be able to see the small hole in the frame for the connection.
Regards,
Alan

You can see the direction the wire takes on it's way to it's bolt in the frame rail.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-06-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Miccar
Instructor

Hello Alan,

Thank you for the picture. That is definitely the wire. It's still connected to the frame, but I don't know where the other end goes. There are two green/black wires that were taped together perhaps it goes there, or maybe the metal ring terminal on the light fixture? Do you know where the other end goes?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Miccar
Instructor

Hello,

Does anyone know where the other end of the ground wire gets connected to? Thank you.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM
Miccar
Instructor

There is a green wire with a black stripe connected to a black wire. Should this wire be connected to the black wire that is grounded to the frame?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
On my 71 the ground wire runs from the frame rail connection to left-side, inboard (back-up) light mounting stud.
A wire thens runs to the mounting studs on the other 3 lights.
You can see the stud and the wire in this picture.
Regards
Alan
This is the left/outboard light.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Miccar
Instructor

Thank you so much. For some reason on my 72, I have a black wire with a green wire with a black stripe mounted to the driver rear backup lamp bolt. That's why I was a little confused. I thought the green wire with a black stripe wasn't a ground. Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM
GarthVader
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alan, thanks so much, this solves my issue as well. I posted a question similar to this about a week ago but I couldn't find the exact location for the ground. Your picture just saved me a lot of grief.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Rear Tail Lamps & Backup Lights Help

Quick Reply: 1972 Rear Tail Lamps & Backup Lights Help