C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly going to trade for a 76 l-48

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi ib,
Does this car excite you? Even a bit? It's pretty tough to put time and $$ into a car you don't care about.
From what you've posted I get the impression you'll accept this car because it's available, (a trade), not because it's what you want.
Be careful.... your Mustang, (which is still an asset, but not easy to turn into cash), will be gone, and you'll have a car you don't really want.
Wait for a 4-speed car that gives you the '*******' when you think about it.
Regards,
Alan
yup, this what I was thinking as well.

If only he could drive a 1969 L46 one time. ....that's feel most people expect when they buy a SBC vette. They all had manual. Zora knew it would be crime to sell one with a auto.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

you asked what to look for - the rust question has been answered... no one seems to be answering the rest of the questions.

interior, the parts are not cheap (except the carpet, and it's a pain to change and make look right).

I noticed the picture of the interior has the car either: idling at 3500 rpm, or the car off and the tach not working..... that's a $100 fix from Willcox
As one bit isn't working, do make sure it all works (fan, lights, dome lights, etc)

Engine wise - you're right, you're vortec heads, cam, headers and an intake from acceptable power. With that said, in 1976, a car with 100k miles was about at the end of its service life - so rings, cam and seals could be at the end of their life

Transmission - When you don't have cupholders for your coffee; automatics are nice... with that said, the turbo 350 needs to shift firmly and without excessive overrun between the gears. Ask if he's done any work to it - at 94k miles, that's about the end of a typical turbo 350's service life

Rear end - no clunks allowed

Suspension.... it frightens me to hear "all original" because the rubber bushings are now nearly 40 years old, they have a 10 year service life.
Shocks are probably done as well

.... so you're trading a DD for a weekend/project car. Honestly, I'd trade for something newer if this is your sole transportation. The car has good bones, and could be a neat weekend cruiser or start of a cool build. But it's not a DD.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 832 Likes on 664 Posts

On the buffalo craigslist you can get a mint medium red 74 L82 munci 4speed car with almost perfect paint and interior and everything working but the clock for $8,000.... 74 has no cats to mess with so you can legally put duals or side pipes on it.. and 250 stock hp to boot
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
ibeeskeef
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
you asked what to look for - the rust question has been answered... no one seems to be answering the rest of the questions.

interior, the parts are not cheap (except the carpet, and it's a pain to change and make look right).

I noticed the picture of the interior has the car either: idling at 3500 rpm, or the car off and the tach not working..... that's a $100 fix from Willcox
As one bit isn't working, do make sure it all works (fan, lights, dome lights, etc)

Engine wise - you're right, you're vortec heads, cam, headers and an intake from acceptable power. With that said, in 1976, a car with 100k miles was about at the end of its service life - so rings, cam and seals could be at the end of their life

Transmission - When you don't have cupholders for your coffee; automatics are nice... with that said, the turbo 350 needs to shift firmly and without excessive overrun between the gears. Ask if he's done any work to it - at 94k miles, that's about the end of a typical turbo 350's service life

Rear end - no clunks allowed

Suspension.... it frightens me to hear "all original" because the rubber bushings are now nearly 40 years old, they have a 10 year service life.
Shocks are probably done as well

.... so you're trading a DD for a weekend/project car. Honestly, I'd trade for something newer if this is your sole transportation. The car has good bones, and could be a neat weekend cruiser or start of a cool build. But it's not a DD.
The car I am trading is anything but a DD. It is a 2003 that I have had since 2005 and it currently has 50k miles on the orignal motor. That tells you how little I have driven it. I have done a good bit of work on the mustang but basically got to the point where I didn't want to drop any more money into it because I won't get it back out and I was getting tired of the car for some reason. It runs great and I will miss it but I know I am ready for a new toy. I have had it listed on CL, this forum, and a mustang forum for sale or trade. I currently have the price down to $10k which I honestly think would be a steal but the old saying goes, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and the only "real offer" i have had that interested me was this one.

I may just have to be more patient and see if I can get the cash out of the car before pursuing a C3.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ibeeskeef
The car I am trading is anything but a DD. It is a 2003 that I have had since 2005 and it currently has 50k miles on the orignal motor. That tells you how little I have driven it. I have done a good bit of work on the mustang but basically got to the point where I didn't want to drop any more money into it because I won't get it back out and I was getting tired of the car for some reason. It runs great and I will miss it but I know I am ready for a new toy. I have had it listed on CL, this forum, and a mustang forum for sale or trade. I currently have the price down to $10k which I honestly think would be a steal but the old saying goes, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and the only "real offer" i have had that interested me was this one.

I may just have to be more patient and see if I can get the cash out of the car before pursuing a C3.
If you have a daily driver, sell the Stang, believe me , their are lots of C's out there with anxious sellers.

CASH is KING......buyers market...you can get way more car ...one that will hold its value or at least be easier to unload with CASH in hand.

Recently a beautiful two owner estate sale 68 , original paint. 327 /350 coupe passed hands for 14K......needed nothing.

you can dump a bunch of money in that 76 and really when you go to,sell the market is so limited , given all the options out their., just won't ever get much interest as an auto.

your we're smart to come hang out and gather info.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 05-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

I agree with Allen, if car doesn't get your blood moving why bother.

This is my DD and it's a fun car for an 84 stock with Holley.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Kiesler sells a complete auto to manual conversion kit including pedals and clutch linkage if you want to go that route. I think with an RS400 or RS500 you'd be looking at around $3500 not including your labour to install. If you're like me, and you hold out for a four speed you may find that even the four speed doesn't cut it and you want a five speed anyway in which case it doesn't make much of a difference if the car you're converting to five speed originally came with an auto or 4 speed.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Also another tidbit to consider, ...... most of those L-48 car s were strapped with a light duty 3.08 rear end and associated components . I think the carrier is different for 3.70 posi set. That item isn't cheap.....you build the engine you'll need a better rear gear.

Also that 76 car auto L-48 , most likely doesn't have the optional performance suspension .
Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
ibeeskeef
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with all of the replies here it seems like the consensus is to pass. I appreciate all of the advice. With that said I will continue to search for a buyer for the mustang and try to take the cash and find a C3 that is in better condition.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by ibeeskeef
with all of the replies here it seems like the consensus is to pass. I appreciate all of the advice. With that said I will continue to search for a buyer for the mustang and try to take the cash and find a C3 that is in better condition.
...and has a stick shift!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Bought this '76 L48 after a tip form a forum member for $2,500. Put another $2,500 into it and it's about 80% done. It's an auto and I would not have bought it if I didn't get it so cheap. It's a nice car, don't get me wrong, it has AC and I did some mods - but a stick would have been more fun.

The '69 L46 4-speed is much more fun.

It's not worth giving up your Mustang - make sure it's an equal trade.

Quick Reply: possibly going to trade for a 76 l-48