C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!

Well, I really had no choice what-so-ever....I had to use u-joints that were made in China
Went out to visit the 74 today, and Chris ended up helping me change out the driveshaft u-joints on the 82.
The 82 does use 2 different sizes of u-joints for the 1/2 shafts and the driveshaft. The driveshaft joints are smaller by all means. Had to make two runs, one to Sears hardware for a 12 pt 1/4" or 7mm 1/4" drive socket for the bolts, as they are smaller than the 1/2 shaft bolts. And 12 pt sockets seem harder to find as single's these days...
went to use the Spicers I had and once again they were not the correct size. So off to the closest auto atore, which was Autozone. Their part #'s are incorrect, so we had to match up as best we could from what they had. I remember another thread that mentioned that acertain year Ford truck used the same size (I think) either for the driveshaft or halfshaft.
So we found a DURA-LAST Gold, (made in China, just hope they hold up) that was the correct cap diameter, but 1/32" shorter. Having no other alternatives, that is what we went with, and so far it is working just fine. The old joints had 2 cracked caps and some play, especially the front one, in them.
I am now totally clunk and tap-free, evn when turning....And there is a warranty on theses u-joints. The 62 mile home drive went as smooth as can be.....here are some pics, will post the measurements tomorrow, as I need to get some sleep.................Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 05-06-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did they come with any egg rolls or wonton soup?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that my local napa is the place for quality parts, just took him 2 u-joints and said I need half this one and half that, a little measureing then checking a book. and boom he hands me just what I was looking for......no computer need!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Did they come with any egg rolls or wonton soup?
not only did they come with that, which was part of the shrimp lo mein conbination platter, and that included desert.

Originally Posted by 4 speed
I have found that my local napa is the place for quality parts, just took him 2 u-joints and said I need half this one and half that, a little measureing then checking a book. and boom he hands me just what I was looking for......no computer need!
had no choice but to go with what I did, out in the middle of nowhere, you have to do what you have to do.....
will keep Napa in mind for next time
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Flyinace3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I replace the half shaft u joints with the Spicer solids I did find that they are too long to get the snap rings seated. I used a wet grinder to grind .008" off each snap ring to get them seated correctly. This year I am going to do the drive shaft. Which Spicer u joints were you looking at? I believe the cap bolts are torx not 12 point. I have a 1980 4 speed.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It was me with the truck reference. I had some ujoints for the driveshaft of a 2001 4x4 f150 on the shelf. They are the same as the halfshaft joints on the 82. Same Chinese part number. I will admit to using the cheaper joints on my 82 as well. You are not alone in that unpopular decision... :-)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

There isn`t any mystery to Vette U-joints, if supplied with the correct information you would never run into a fit problem....all catalogues or even computers has the correct part numbers to make replacing U-joints a simple easy job....Replacement joints are the same as same as OE...UNLESS some back alley hack got there first, however there are combination joints available to help cover the hacks mistakes...unfortunately not many Parts stores carry them as they are slow movers and a bit more costly..that being said most counter men are not familiar with them....we sold many because of a large customer base was the Hacks or more commonly referred to as 'Back Alley' or 'Shade Tree' mechanics
Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

You must not own an 82....the books are WRONG for the 82.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

napa part number for the 82 drive shaft is
U-Joint - at Rear Axle//Auto-transmission
Part Number: PUJ 354

Product Line: Precision Ujoints

IMPORTANT INFO: Premium,w/ Automatic Transmission,w/ 1 1/16" O.D. Bearings
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by alswagg

I was just looking up the same information with Precision U-joints...The joints are plainly visable for a english speaking person to read the catalogue and its with the computers too....

akeyvette, you can look them up yourself...under 'Auto Parts Nerd....Precision is one of the direct lines we purchased as a Auto Parts warehouse...we sold hundreds...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I would feel safer with chinese u-joints than those chinese jackstands...
I do have the same set of Harbor Freight jack stands as you appear to, but I prefer not to be under the car if I'm using them.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

GO to AutoZone or oreillys and look up the rear halfshaft joints for an 82. Two different styles both claim to fit but only one does. What's up with the nerd names? This thread doesn't have to go there.... Napa is disappearing around here so I don't get to go there as often.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

The driveshafts and half shafts both work at minimal angles. I alway prefer sold cross piece "perma-lube" joints. On several of our 4X4's we use sold cap/cross piece including no needle bearings, only bushings. These are usually 5 times stronger than the best Dana Joint available. To this date we have not broken any of these type joints. Thus saving several custon axle shafts. Oh, I also like full circle clips, they are more likely to stay put under severe conditions. Al
Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

The Napa site also has several differant type joints for the 82. I just knew none were manual, however the Napa data base offer some with manual. Napa is not perfect by any means. The guy behind the counter can be great or absolutly not. It is best to measure and be 100% correct.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 speed
A smart, experienced counterman can be your best friend sometimes...............
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
You must not own an 82.

...the books are WRONG for the 82.
Your correct, I don't...and wouldn't

and nothing wrong with the books ither
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Sick burn dude..... Please go elsewhere to stroke your ego and sling insults at people. This forum is for people trying to help each other.

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
It was me with the truck reference. I had some ujoints for the driveshaft of a 2001 4x4 f150 on the shelf. They are the same as the halfshaft joints on the 82. Same Chinese part number. I will admit to using the cheaper joints on my 82 as well. You are not alone in that unpopular decision... :-)
yesss, now I remember.......

Originally Posted by Ironcross
There isn`t any mystery to Vette U-joints, if supplied with the correct information you would never run into a fit problem....all catalogues or even computers has the correct part numbers to make replacing U-joints a simple easy job....Replacement joints are the same as same as OE...UNLESS some back alley hack got there first, however there are combination joints available to help cover the hacks mistakes...unfortunately not many Parts stores carry them as they are slow movers and a bit more costly..that being said most counter men are not familiar with them....we sold many because of a large customer base was the Hacks or more commonly referred to as 'Back Alley' or 'Shade Tree' mechanics
I disagree, there is a mystery with the 82 and only the 82 to my knowledge....I can testify first hand....
The first person I ordered ujoints from, has the 82 using the same joint for both 1/2 shaft and driveshaft, which is wrong, at least on my 82.
They were way to big for the 1/2 shafts, and not even close with the driveshaft. So now I have 6 joints, which I am hoping to return, or put up for sale here, we shall see.
All other parts stores also seem to have the wrong info for the 82, why you ask???? I don't have a clue.......
Reread post #1, and as you can see, the driveshaft bolts, need a 1/4" 12 pt socket, while the 1/2 shaft bolts, use an E10 reverse torx socket, hence the 2 different sizes.
And I was very lucky to get a match as close as could be.....
So it is what it is, we need to solve the mystery.....

Originally Posted by alswagg

good info....thanks.....

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
I would feel safer with chinese u-joints than those chinese jackstands...
I do have the same set of Harbor Freight jack stands as you appear to, but I prefer not to be under the car if I'm using them.
I hear you there, but the possibility of all 4 failing at the same time.......... I sure hope not......

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
A smart, experienced counterman can be your best friend sometimes...............
In this case it was the countergirl, she was great.......

While I do appreciate everyones comment, there is no need to have people get on each other's case (guess I'm dating myself with that phrase)
We're not trying to see who knows the most, or doesn't know thw most or whatever, just trying to supply info that will be of future help to 82 owners, and to put more info into the "sticky", that's what it is all about..........

the following was posted by me in another thread, this is the correct part# for the 82 1/2 shaft ujoint....
"82 halfshafts u joints are 1 3/16" (cap size) and 3 5/8" (length)
I ended up getting MOOG #231 (made in USA) solids.
Waiting to see what size the driveshaft are after I remove it."

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 05-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Your correct, I don't...and wouldn't

and nothing wrong with the books ither
Your what?

It's 'you're' as in you are incorrect.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by AGVI
Your what?

It's 'you're' as in you are incorrect.
thank you,

you helped refresh my memory.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced driveshaft u-joints on the 82 and did the unthinkable!!!