C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundproofing, heat barrier, and underlayment

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
C3Bob76
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soundproofing, heat barrier, and underlayment

I'm closing in on installing my carpet and wanted feedback on how you guys approached it. I have added a layer of FatMat to the passenger compartment for sound proofing. The new carpet that I have has insulated backing material, mainly on the "flats", none where it bends, likely for fitment purposes.

I have a roll of 1/4" insulation with foil on both sides that I had planned to use. My question is how best/whether or not to use it. Do I remove the insulation on my carpet, and use that to create templates for the double-foil insulation I have? Do I use the foil insulation in addition to that which came on the carpets? Or do I use only the FatMat and lay the carpet in with the insulation it came with?

I have concerns about the overall thickness if I go FatMat/double-foil/carpet w/insulation and figured someone's already gone through it, so I'd like to hear what you did. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

1/4" is likely to be too thick. Most folks use 1/8" stuff. 1/8" Reflectix or similar will not interfere with carpet fit.

Do not take the factory padding off your carpets.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

1/4" is likely to be too thick. Most folks use 1/8" stuff. 1/8" Reflectix or similar will not interfere with carpet fit.

Do not take the factory padding off your carpets.
This is what I did and the fit is fine. I used the fat mat mega mat like you are and the reflectix on top of that, used 3M spray adhesive to stick down the reflectix, left the factory insulation on and it all layed down all right. It is noticebly thicker but does not interfere with fitment. I did not put any reflectix under the carpet behind the gas pedal or brake pedal.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
This is what I did and the fit is fine. I used the fat mat mega mat like you are and the reflectix on top of that, used 3M spray adhesive to stick down the reflectix, left the factory insulation on and it all layed down all right. It is noticebly thicker but does not interfere with fitment. I did not put any reflectix under the carpet behind the gas pedal or brake pedal.
I did the same treatment (sound deadener and then reflectix). I used the 1/4" reflectix you get at Lowes and had no carpet fitment issues.

Get yourself a roll of GOOD quality aluminum tape. That will help you seam it all together. DO NOT use duct tape. Duct tape is absolute crap and will de-laminate in about 3 months. Heck, they even don't recommend you use duct tape to seal ducts anymore The aluminum tape sticks well, conforms to shape pretty good and is very thin.

Good luck and be sure to take pics, these interiors look realy cool covered in reflectix just prior to carpet install.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
C3Bob76
Intermediate

Thanks guys, just picked up some Reflectix at Lowe's while I was out. Have the aluminum tape as well. Did you exclude the top of the trans tunnel or do the entire floor? Again, I'm thinking fitment of the center and parking brake consoles.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I did not do the top of the trans tunnel, just the sides up to the console. As long as the transmission foam between the tranny and the tunnel underneath the car is present there will not be much heat coming from the top of the tunnel.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Skipped the top as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM
C3Bob76
Intermediate

That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Fatmat / dynamat plus reflectix plus the undercarpet pad is fine eveywhere EXCEPT under your pedals. It gets a little tight there.

I did everything I could cover with the mat and the reflectix... Only wanted to do it once. Even with the undercarriage insulator on the tunnel and the reflectix and dyanmat inside across the top of the tunnel, I get a little heat from around the shifter plate... Exhaust gets hot... what can you do (Side pipes?)... Anyway, I hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM
dpw21562
Racer

Default Insulation

I did the insulation then wrapped the entire exhaust with insulation. Big heat drop.

Get notified of new replies

To Soundproofing, heat barrier, and underlayment

Quick Reply: Soundproofing, heat barrier, and underlayment