C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many gallons of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, I can't say for sure that this cured the problem, but having used this pressure relief valve (the brass thing with the black top) on my new motor I have had no problems with air pockets. I got it from Jegs. The first time I warmed up my new motor I depressed the top of the valve with a screw driver tip, it spit out a bunch of air then coolant. Topped off the radiator again, and have had no problems since. Might be worth a try.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Bagmup
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a pretty cool idea.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

I'm F...ing Pissed off!

I start pouring in my anti-freeze and distilled water mix and that day old Stewart stage II water pump is pouring it out of the two weep holes on the snout.

Polishing and letting the gasket dry for a day. I polished the bolts and now I have to take the damn thing back and start over.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagmup
Thats a pretty cool idea.
At least with this, I know if I have coolant or air (steam) in there.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1er
I'm F...ing Pissed off!

I start pouring in my anti-freeze and distilled water mix and that day old Stewart stage II water pump is pouring it out of the two weep holes on the snout.

Polishing and letting the gasket dry for a day. I polished the bolts and now I have to take the damn thing back and start over.
damn that sucks, are they going to exchange it since you did some polishing on it?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Please allow me to disagree.
The radiator/engine is designed to be COMPLETELY full all the time. Any expansion goes into the overflow bottle, which should always contain enough water to cover the connecting hose end. This eliminates all air from the coolant passages, and slows any oxidation.
On an intial fillup, fill the radiator completly, and install the radiator cap. Fill the overflow bottle to "full hot". The next few heatup/cooldown cycles will "burp" out any air from the system. Turn on the heat, as well, to purge any air out of the heater core. Keep an eye on it, and top off as necessary.
Yes, this is sound advice for cars that HAVE a recovery bottle. Many earlier Vettes (and other cars) with the copper/brass radiators did not come from the factory with recovery bottles (like my 69' L-46).
In these situations, you need to leave space in the tank or it will just burp out coolant until it's at the right level.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Stewart Pump # 2

I filled it with water and no leaks

So I'm about 1/2 way through polishing it from the dull gray aluminum. I will install soon and test it later!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I wish you luck with that pump. It does sound like you got a crappy replacement that just wasn't pumping right.

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Installing a high volume water pump where it's not needed moves liquid through the system too fast to adequately cool as it passes through the radiator. Simply put, the coolant isn't in the radiator long enough for proper heat exchange to occur.
As soon as I read the first post I was wondering how long it would take this urban legend to pop-up. The above is 100% completely and totally wrong.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Bagmup
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
As soon as I read the first post I was wondering how long it would take this urban legend to pop-up. The above is 100% completely and totally wrong.
Yep, it's the thermostat that controls water flow volume through the radiator, not the pump.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Lt1er
Drifting

The story has ended, happily

It has been raining for days and just crappy. I went out and the new Stewart pump boiled over. I had my IR heat gun. The radiator was cold like 140 -150.

Even though I tested my old Stant high flow 180 thermostat something was amiss. I bought a new 180 and drilled a couple of small holes in the sides for air release. I went out and rodded my old vette and the gauges hangs out right under 180.

So my original Flow cooler high volume is probably good. The first Stewart I put on is on it's way back to the factory repair shop and my second stewart works like a champ.

Just alot of cussing and one small cut is all it took to be back on the road after a long winter.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Doesn't it make you just love old Vettes? It actually cost you a couple of hundred dollars and over a week to replace the thermistat

Look at the brighter side. You save some other person from getting a defective pump and your aluminum pumps is probably 4 pounds lighter!

Hey I will come over and see it after work today if you are going to be around.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:42 AM
woodcrest
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you repair this link? It goes nowhere, thanks!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:44 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Thread is 6 yrs old.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:05 AM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Roco71
I hate it when I fix something that's not broke and it ends up broke when I am done.
Been there!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Photobucket gave all of us the finger years ago. So any posted pictures from that era are all lost

Last edited by gkull; 03-10-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: How many gallons of coolant?