C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70-73 Brake Proportioning Block Pictures Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'15,'17,'18,'22-'23

Default 70-73 Brake Proportioning Block Pictures Needed

Hey Guys, like the title says I'm converting my 68 non power brake car to a hydroboost system along with a Borgeson steering box and need some pics of the way it's supposed to be layed out for 70-73. The 68 hard lines would not easily clear the Borgeson and I really didn't like the look of the proportioning valve hanging off the polished Hydroboost so I'm converting over to the 70-73 style that mounts the block down on the frame. Before I start bending hand lines to make things fit, if someone could shoot a picture of two of their system it would be huge help. I just need the area where the block mounts, between the PS box and A Arm

Thanks Much!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a pic from my 73, it is an original. Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
renovator
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is the location on my '70
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response guys (Ed T, Renovator, Old Sarge) , I thought that's the way it had to be based on the short hard line that goes to the flex line on the left front. I just couldn't be totally sure and didn't want to drill the frame and form the lines and have it be wrong. I did find a place on line today that sells braided SS lines that go from the master down to the distribution block (www.inlinetube.com). I may go with that option to add a little more bling look to the Hydroboost set up since has braided SS lines going to the power steering pump. Who knows I may even get the body back on next month if all goes well and get to ride in the thing this summer with my SO at the wheel.
Attached Images    
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice and clean and so new looking, great job !!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Holden Master Cylinder???

Steve C,

Living in Australia, I have ready access to Holden parts and I used a master cylinder from a late nineties Holden VY model. It is made from aluminum, has a clear(ish) plastic reservoir and has the distribution block/prop valve built in to it. Trouble is, it has metric female threads.

However, I had made up by a local brake place a new 1/4" line from the MC to the start of the rear brake line, that normally screws into the distribution block. I used the single large rear brake male metric fitting at the top with an imperial male fitting (7/16"??) at the bottom and a junction box (female/female) to join it to the existing rear brake line.

For the front brakes, I was able to bend both factory brake lines so that they came up to the MC and used two metric/SAE couplers to fit the lines to the MC.

I needed a spacer plate between the Hydroboost and the Holden MC to keep the HB pushrod just clear of the MC piston and had one laser cut from 1/4" plate.

The brakes work a treat. If you can find a late model MC like the Holden one, I suggest you go this way. If you can't, I can buy the MC for about AU$40 and mail one to you. Let me know.

By the way, I run a Borgeson box and a Hydroboost and am very happy with the way the car steers and brakes.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Nice and clean and so new looking, great job !!!!!
Thanks, I need to update my build thread, she's coming along nicely. Hopefully I can hand my wife the keys this summer and tell her to enjoy the new ride, she doesn't like my ZO6, says it's too "shifty".
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Steve C,

Living in Australia, I have ready access to Holden parts and I used a master cylinder from a late nineties Holden VY model. It is made from aluminum, has a clear(ish) plastic reservoir and has the distribution block/prop valve built in to it. Trouble is, it has metric female threads.

However, I had made up by a local brake place a new 1/4" line from the MC to the start of the rear brake line, that normally screws into the distribution block. I used the single large rear brake male metric fitting at the top with an imperial male fitting (7/16"??) at the bottom and a junction box (female/female) to join it to the existing rear brake line.

For the front brakes, I was able to bend both factory brake lines so that they came up to the MC and used two metric/SAE couplers to fit the lines to the MC.

I needed a spacer plate between the Hydroboost and the Holden MC to keep the HB pushrod just clear of the MC piston and had one laser cut from 1/4" plate.

The brakes work a treat. If you can find a late model MC like the Holden one, I suggest you go this way. If you can't, I can buy the MC for about AU$40 and mail one to you. Let me know.

By the way, I run a Borgeson box and a Hydroboost and am very happy with the way the car steers and brakes.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Sounds like a nice mod, and thanks for the offer. We call the Holdens Pontiac GTOs and G8s here in the States! Oh and the Caddy Catera was a Holden I believe, came basic shape as the GTO.

I bought the complete Hydroboost with a polished master included so I just need to come up with a nice neat plumbing job from the master down to the distribution block and I'm thinking the flex lines will look and perform well. I use them on my race and street bikes and haven't had any issues at all.

Post up a picture of your set up, it sounds really nice

Here's the Hydroboost, sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 70-73 Brake Proportioning Block Pictures Needed

Quick Reply: 70-73 Brake Proportioning Block Pictures Needed