C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk on right side rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM
TightFit
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk on right side rear

I have a metal-on-metal sound on my passenger side in the rear. I hear it whenever I go over bumps. I can reproduce the sound when I (gently) bounce the rear p-side by hand. It doesn't happen when I repeat this on the d-side.

It's not the exhaust. That was the first thing I thought of, but I got under the car and had my son (gently) bounce the rear p-side and the sound is definitely not the exhaust hitting anything, but I can't identify where the sound is coming from...other than it seems to be coming from near the p-side rear wheel.

(It's also not the spare tire or the holder. I removed that completely and it still does it.)

Any ideas?
thanks,
-Tim
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could it be a worn sway bar bushing?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Jack the car up remove the wheel, look at the strut rod bushings, the shock absorber, and the trailing arm bushing and shims.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
TightFit
Advanced

Two good suggestions. Thanks.
-Tim
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM
68sbShark
Racer

I had the exact same issue. It drove me nuts for two years.

Check the upper shock mount. Make sure the bolt is tightly securing the bushing on the top of the shock. My upper shock bolt (for some reason) did not have enough threads on it to clamp down on the sleeve in the bushing and caused the same noise. Bought a fully threaded grade 8 bolt and tightened it up and all was quiet in the back end.

My only guess on this is that the sleeve in the bushing was slightly smaller/narrower than what was in the car before I replaced the shocks.....hence the bolt not being able to clamp down on it.

~Rich
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
TightFit
Advanced

Thanks, Rich. Another good suggestion. The previous owner did replace the shocks recently so maybe ...
-Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Clunk on right side rear

Quick Reply: Clunk on right side rear