C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lubricating 1971 tach cable on distributor end

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lubricating 1971 tach cable on distributor end

Hello,
I have a ticking noise where the tach cable goes into distributor. Can someone please help me understand how I can lube that end of cable? 1971 Thank you
Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

I'll try.

Remove the cable from the distributor by un-screwing the knurled retainer sleeve" from the distributor casing. This will allow you to withdraw the cable from the distibutor. Once out, you should see a bronze "plug". This plug has a hole for the cable to go in to. You'll also see a slot going completely across the plug, kinda like a screw head. Unscrew the plug (counter-clockwise) and remove it from the casing. There'll be a small, steel, stem-like gear and shaft inside the plug. This is the drive gear that engages the corresponding gear on the distributor's shaft.

I would suggest you remove all this and examine the cable end, the plug, the drive gear and the shaft's gear. You'll need a scope or at least a bright light and mirror to see the shaft gear. If all OK, clean all parts that you can and grease with a high quality lube.

To reassemble, do as I mentioned above in the reverse.

I hope this post is easy enough to follow and accomplish. In my opinion, it's harder to explain than it is to do! Maybe someone else can explain more clearly?

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thank you, is it very difficult project?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thank you, so I just pull the wire out and push it back in simple as that huh? Is it easy to mess up the tach, It works great now.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jbakyy
Thank you, is it very difficult project?
You need to put the square cable tip into the square drive gear hole, but I had no trouble at all doing it.

What you need to keep in mind is that the cable needs to follow a route from the tach to the distributor that contains as few sharp bends as possible. I think my cable broke because I had the dist out and when I re-installed it, I routed the cable in front of the ignition shield/wire loom. This caused a pretty tight bend as it approached the dist. When I replaced my cable, I instead routed it behind the loom. This resulted in a more gradual approach. I'm hoping that was the problem. When I get the car down and start driving it, I'll know for sure.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
jbakyy
Racer

Thank you. I am not going to replace the cable but try to lube the disty end and drive gear. Does the cable easily pull out and the you just push it back in. Any tips on that and the lubrication process are appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My advice is not to pull the square drive cable out of the sheath. That could very easily result in a trip under the dash to reseat the cable in the rear of the tachometer.

It's dark up there and difficult to get to.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 AM
jbakyy
Racer

thanks again, another question or 2, sorry. i am just a little confused about disconnecting or removing cable from distributor, you just pull it out and it disengages and then jhust push it back in and it locks in place how it is supposed to go. it can't be that simple. also, any lunbrication tips are appreciated. thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Lubricating 1971 tach cable on distributor end

Quick Reply: Lubricating 1971 tach cable on distributor end