C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im tired of lurking...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im tired of lurking...

I met my wife in 1978 and she had a 1969 entry level Corvette. One thing led to another and over time I inherited the car.

She put 100k miles on it and I put the other 350k on it. This was all done by 1998.

One day while I was coming home from work and as usual, I had my foot in it, the body began to lift right off of the frame. Yes the headlights popped up and it was almost over for me and the car.

I got home as safely as I could and that evening I lifted the body off of the frame.

I ordered a restored frame, many new parts and finished taking the chassis apart.

Everything on the car was completely worn out. I mean everything. Life began changing direction for me in 1999 and I stopped working on the Vette. The body still sits suspended above the floor and the chassis is still sitting in the same place as it was in 98.

Well, life has slowed down and now Im beginning to restore what parts I can off of the old frame to get ready to reassemble the chassis.

Ya know what? Stock was fun. I had a great time driving it and maintaining it for many years, but when I look at all of the upgraded parts available for it, Im wondering if maybe I wouldnt like MORE.

Little things like A/C and power windows, locks and brakes and maybe a modern engine and transmission might really be a lot more fun for me, not to mention the wonderful looking suspensions available for it too. The thought really intrigues me.

So, I am out of the shadows now and thinking of a nice 69 resto-mod instead of the tried and true stock car I enjoyed for all of those years.

Any ideas?

It feels good to write it down... :-)

Last edited by drgnner; 04-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 571 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i think its a great idea! personally unless you have a rare combination it won't " destroy" the car. you will enjoy it more and use it more and be safer and more comfortable in a updated car
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I say do what you want!!

I have a 70 and my buddy a 69.

I have an upgreaded suspension and other nicities (list below). We have installed in his a 383, fuel injection, 5-speed, tilt steering, A/C, aluminum radiator, electric fans, new carpet, redyed the seats, new gas tank, etc...

• Brand new (not rebuilt) Van Steel loaded trailing arms with new rear brakes and bearings. Stainless shim kit.
• New front brakes (rotors and pads)
• A complete stage 5 Ecklers handling kit including:
o Oversized front and rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings & end links.
o Bilstein shocks on all four corners
o 550 lb gymkhana front springs.
o Polyurethane bushings in the front control arms
o Adjustable Smart Struts in the rear
o VBP 300 # composite mono leaf
• Hurst competition plus shifter with T-shift handle from Ecklers
• Flowmasters
• A rebuilt differential with 3:38's installed recently
• New battery, plugs, tie rods, fuel lines, transmission and rear end mounts.
• New calipers
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i think its a great idea! personally unless you have a rare combination it won't " destroy" the car. you will enjoy it more and use it more and be safer and more comfortable in a updated car
After watching Mecum this past weekend, I know without a doubt there is nothing special about this particular 69. :-D

I really like all of your reasons too... exactly what I think!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Navy01Coupe
I say do what you want!!

I have a 70 and my buddy a 69.

I have an upgreaded suspension and other nicities (list below). We have installed in his a 383, fuel injection, 5-speed, tilt steering, A/C, aluminum radiator, electric fans, new carpet, redyed the seats, new gas tank, etc...

• Brand new (not rebuilt) Van Steel loaded trailing arms with new rear brakes and bearings. Stainless shim kit.
• New front brakes (rotors and pads)
• A complete stage 5 Ecklers handling kit including:
o Oversized front and rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings & end links.
o Bilstein shocks on all four corners
o 550 lb gymkhana front springs.
o Polyurethane bushings in the front control arms
o Adjustable Smart Struts in the rear
o VBP 300 # composite mono leaf
• Hurst competition plus shifter with T-shift handle from Ecklers
• Flowmasters
• A rebuilt differential with 3:38's installed recently
• New battery, plugs, tie rods, fuel lines, transmission and rear end mounts.
• New calipers
Oh ya! This sounds nice! Did you purchase these items because you knew what specs you wanted or is it a kit? There are so many combos out there, the choices can be overwhelming! I know I want a modern engine (small block) and I like the Tremec 5 speed transmissions. Other than that, I am at square one.

I drag raced in the 80's at a drag strip in California. I had a t-10 and the hurst setup. I broke a finger when the "T" handle twisted when going to third gear. When I finaly got home I drilled and tapped the end of the handle and turned it into a pistol grip type. I loved it. Sorry, I just had to mention that. (my finger still aches when it rains)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drgnner
Oh ya! This sounds nice! Did you purchase these items because you knew what specs you wanted or is it a kit? There are so many combos out there, the choices can be overwhelming! I know I want a modern engine (small block) and I like the Tremec 5 speed transmissions. Other than that, I am at square one.

I drag raced in the 80's at a drag strip in California. I had a t-10 and the hurst setup. I broke a finger when the "T" handle twisted when going to third gear. When I finaly got home I drilled and tapped the end of the handle and turned it into a pistol grip type. I loved it. Sorry, I just had to mention that. (my finger still aches when it rains)
Hi there,

Personally I think the engine's are great, a rebuild with ali heads, intake, electric distributor etc is all that's needed.

100% do a trans swap, 4sp auto (TH2004r) or a 5speed manual, Tremec/Richmond etc, transforms the car.

Borgeson steering conversion is nice and a VBP suspension kit and you're there, oh and some decent brake pads
Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
Hi there,

Personally I think the engine's are great, a rebuild with ali heads, intake, electric distributor etc is all that's needed.

100% do a trans swap, 4sp auto (TH2004r) or a 5speed manual, Tremec/Richmond etc, transforms the car.

Borgeson steering conversion is nice and a VBP suspension kit and you're there, oh and some decent brake pads
This 350 has been the greatest small block on the planet. The only problem with it is that it has 450k miles on it. It is bored to .60 over with 10:1 TRW flat top pistons. I think its life was extended due to it being perfectly balanced, blueprinted in the early 80's. The Crank was turned once. When I took it apart I realized I had made a mistake as the cylinder walls looked perfect and so did the pistons. The bearings looked very nice for 85k miles on them.

When I think about it, I could put new bearings and rings in it and put it back together with new heads and intake manifold. It was a stock 300 hp engine. The cam is a 280 degree intake and exhaust with .5 inch lift. I dont remember the manufacturer anymore. It was assembled for me in San Jose CA by a machinist. I merely paid for it and installed it.

Since this is "square one", any suggestions on heads and intake if I stay with this engine?

PS. I love this forum!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

450K, that's amazing!

I'm sure the engine will be fine with new bearing and a rebuild, I personally like Edelbrock heads, good valve and performance, go for the RPM heads and swap in your valve train if you are still going to use it?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet

Or try and find a good second hand pair?

Any 'brand' ali manifold will do, an Air-gap won't fit under a stock hood.

Use your carb

I like Pertronix distributors but again all this stuff comes up used and i've saved lots of money that way.

Headers/sidepipes, a '69 should have side pipes!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette
450K, that's amazing!

I'm sure the engine will be fine with new bearing and a rebuild, I personally like Edelbrock heads, good valve and performance, go for the RPM heads and swap in your valve train if you are still going to use it?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed...make/chevrolet

Or try and find a good second hand pair?

Any 'brand' ali manifold will do, an Air-gap won't fit under a stock hood.

Use your carb

I like Pertronix distributors but again all this stuff comes up used and i've saved lots of money that way.

Headers/sidepipes, a '69 should have side pipes!
Ive always had headers even though it was thunderous loud inside the car, but when I get to the body there will be sound deadening/heat insulation this time.

I love the hooker side pipes.

My 780 cfm Holley is in a box somewhere around here. Not to great at low rpm but it did give it longer legs once the RPM got up there. I was thinking Edelbrock and it is too bad the air gap intake wont fit. Since it will be a driver, a dual plane is the way I am going.

And yes, 450k on the engine. Always balance an engine. Im a believer in that. I should figure out how to post a picture.

I failed to mention there is a Corvette only salvage yard 20 minutes from here and I will be showing up there tomorrow with a list.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

nice story.
wow, 450k is getting your moneys worth.
glad to see the car was used.

good luck on the build.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Navy01Coupe
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh yeah...my buddy's 69 has side pipes too. They look nice!

Most of the work on my 70 was done by previous owner. I've only had her about 3 weeks. He did things one plan at a time, not a kit. It runs really smooth down the road. I"m now starting to work on timing/tuning/etc... a labor of love (and money).

We did everything to my friend's car our selves. One thing at a time. He had an overall plan, but it was a easily adjusted one. Next up on his is the suspension.

You have a blank canvas! Enjoy and build what you want.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Navy01Coupe
Oh yeah...my buddy's 69 has side pipes too. They look nice!

Most of the work on my 70 was done by previous owner. I've only had her about 3 weeks. He did things one plan at a time, not a kit. It runs really smooth down the road. I"m now starting to work on timing/tuning/etc... a labor of love (and money).

We did everything to my friend's car our selves. One thing at a time. He had an overall plan, but it was a easily adjusted one. Next up on his is the suspension.

You have a blank canvas! Enjoy and build what you want.
I do have a blank canvas. I wish I had the blank check too. I have been saving for a long time though and am ready to go ahead on the project.

I can tell this forum is going to be a big help to me. My goal for this car is to have it handle superbly and have the horse power that will make me scream with adrenalin when I floor it.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Wow, neat story! You're probably the first one I've heard of that started their "frame off" restoration on the drive home . Whatever you do, make sure you take a pic of the car in 50,000 more miles at the half-million mark .
Old 04-09-2013, 09:44 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I do have a blank canvas. I wish I had the blank check too. I have been saving for a long time though and am ready to go ahead on the project.

I can tell this forum is going to be a big help to me. My goal for this car is to have it handle superbly and have the horse power that will make me scream with adrenalin when I floor it.
Start to decide what the real budget is. Then it will be easier to decide what parts to buy. This forum will have no trouble helping you spend your money.
Be realistic on your expectations. You will have to throw a rediculous amount of money at a C3 to get it to perform like a C5 and still not be equeal but is that your goal? There are some great C3 suspension kits available from supporting members that range from less than 1K to over 3K. What about an engine and transmission? LSx/T56 is a great combo but so is a hot 383/TKO 5 speed. You can spend $400 for a radiator or $900 for a great radiator and cooling fan set up. Then there is the interior. Restore stock or upgrade? Body work and paint 5K to 10K depending on how much body work and how crazy you get with the paint job. New weatherstrips? How about wheels and tires? If you want the car to handle you will need high performance tires and new wheels. It's not hard to spend way over 2K there. You can rebuild the car and make it better than new or you can re-invent the car and break the bank. You can think you're going to spend 30K to build the Corvette of your dreams and be at 50K in the blink of an eye and still not be done.
In no way am I trying to discourage you from building your dream car I just want you to see dreams can turn into nightmares if you don't plan ahead.
Good luck with your project. Start a build thread, ask questions, post pictures, and most important have fun.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 04-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 AM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Start to decide what the real budget is. Then it will be easier to decide what parts to buy. This forum will have no trouble helping you spend your money.
Be realistic on your expectations. You will have to throw a rediculous amount of money at a C3 to get it to perform like a C5 and still not be equeal but is that your goal? There are some great C3 suspension kits available from supporting members that range from less than 1K to over 3K. What about an engine and transmission? LSx/T56 is a great combo but so is a hot 383/TKO 5 speed. You can spend $400 for a radiator or $900 for a great radiator and cooling fan set up. Then there is the interior. Restore stock or upgrade? Body work and paint 5K to 10K depending on how much body work and how crazy you get with the paint job. New weatherstrips? How about wheels and tires? If you want the car to handle you will need high performance tires and new wheels. It's not hard to spend way over 2K there. You can rebuild the car and make it better than new or you can re-invent the car and break the bank. You can think you're going to spend 30K to build the Corvette of your dreams and be at 50K in the blink of an eye and still not be done.
In no way am I trying to discourage you from building your dream car I just want you to see dreams can turn into nightmares if you don't plan ahead.
Good luck with your project. Start a build thread, ask questions, post pictures, and most important have fun.
Ive been kicking these same thoughts around for what seems like forever. This C3 will always be a C3 and that isnt a bad thing. When I realized one day that what I wanted in it was AC and some creature comforts along with some horse power and handling, I probably got carried away and envisioned a C7 that looked like a C3.

I have since come down off of that mountain. I dont have that knowledge, expertise or money. I saw a C3 frame mock up yesterday with a Richmond transmission and a 350 block. The suspension was improved over the stock setup with a CF spring in the back with the aluminum billet crossmember, offset training arms and rack and pinion steering. I liked that a lot! It seemed "practical" to me.

Im only at the point of planning and pricing right now. The other main factor here is that my youngest son is really excited about doing this with me and truthfully that is really my motivation.... that is really all I want.

Im so happy I joined this forum. Im thankful for the advise and thoughts.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any ideal of what your budget is for this project?

For a resto rod I would say you want at least 400+ HP, fuel injection, overdrive transmission, upgraded brake system, high performace wheel and tires, upgraded suppention and steering, new fuel and brake lines, a complete exhaust system and the list goes on, plus you have the interior and body to add to this.

Even if you are doing most of the work yourself, your starting budget will probably be 25K or more, but if you continue to drive the car as much as you have, it will be well worth the expense, most people spend 25K+ for their newer daily driver, but none as cool as a resto rod C3 daily driver.

I look forward to seeing your project as it comes together.

Riggs
Old 04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
drgnner
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by riggs 74
Any ideal of what your budget is for this project?

For a resto rod I would say you want at least 400+ HP, fuel injection, overdrive transmission, upgraded brake system, high performace wheel and tires, upgraded suppention and steering, new fuel and brake lines, a complete exhaust system and the list goes on, plus you have the interior and body to add to this.

Even if you are doing most of the work yourself, your starting budget will probably be 25K or more, but if you continue to drive the car as much as you have, it will be well worth the expense, most people spend 25K+ for their newer daily driver, but none as cool as a resto rod C3 daily driver. I look forward to seeing your project as it comes together.

Riggs
"most people spend 25K+ for their newer daily driver, but none as cool as a resto rod C3 daily driver"

Great questions.

I am looking at this project in terms of buying another car money wise. My budget is 20k right now. I have to do the work myself. I love doing it. My initial goal is to have a complete rolling chassis in a few months. Things happen and plans change so this is only a short term goal. I want it yesterday and I hate waiting.

I picked out an LS1 yesterday and I like the 5 speed TKO with a steel bellhousing. This is a conversion from the TH400, so I've lined up the pedal setup and need to go get that for later when I start the body. I purchased a rear differential yesterday with a 3:55 gear. I also think the offset trailing arms are the way to go, but I dont know anyone who has used them ... yet.

Im not sure yet how tough it will be to get the LS1 installed, but when I read its specs, I knew I wanted it. The old iron will get rebuilt and sold or stored. I imagined opening the hood and seeing the LS1 sitting there and liked the visual image right away.

The suspension on the front end right now is all stock. I just got it installed last month, but even as I was putting it together I didnt like it. So now I am trying to figure out what suspension to use along with a rack and pinion steering set up. The choices are many. I also know the stock control arms need to go even though I made them look like new and spent money on parts.

The one thing on the body that I can not check right now is the birdcage. I have the body suspended above the floor and secured with Straps to the ceiling truss. The wooden frame I initially built and set the body on has sagged a little bit putting a lot of tension on the straps. Ill need to get the body down and that will be challenging in order to really know what shape it is in. Remember in my initial post that I mentioned that I was going very fast on a local interstate and the body lifted off the frame? Well, the frame had rusted out just behind the front tires on both sides. Yup there were holes. So, just knowing that tells me the birdcage will need work too, at least on the lower part of it. If the damage is too severe, then I will have to develop a new plan I guess.

This car will have AC or it isnt worth it to me. Im in Florida and Im not a kid anymore so AC is mandatory.

I also must have leather interior!! It is just so cool and comfy and with AC it will be perfect.

Looks like Ill have to set up a photobucket (?) account and upload some pictures of this whole thing. Pictures are definately worth a thousand words when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Im tired of lurking...

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

No need for offset trailing arms if you plan on going with bigger wheels. Even if you stick with a 15 and go with a 275/60/15 they will fit with just relocating the e-brake bracket.

As you get into larger wheels (17,18,19) the edge of the wheel moves forward where the stock trailing arms get wider eliminating the need for offset.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you go the LSX route, you won't be disappointed. I recently just finished my 402 stroker LS2 with a 4L70e trans and love it. My ride is a 74 resto rod, I love having a modern drive train in a classic C3 body, you can't go wrong with a resto rod.

Riggs
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a great fan of resto-rods. Don't own one since I can't afford to hire someone to build it and don't have the space or time to do it myself. But, I did a resto on an 88 Silverado including a carbureted GM crate engine...that was a big mistake. The gas mileage was horrible, no, worse than horrible! Get an LS fuel injected engine as a minimum and work on the stock suspension which is great with the right parts. Good luck on your project and come back to report the progress regularly Quit lurking!!!

Quick Reply: Im tired of lurking...