C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350 Timing Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
bdchase73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Timing Question

Just fired up my 69 vette after its rebuild. It started right up! However... Confused as to the timing. I plugged off the manifold vac line but left on the vac advance to the distro. When I put a timing light on it the mark on the harmonic bal was WAY off. it was about 2" below even where the timing indicator was on the retarded side. The motor ran fine. What did I do wrong?!

Any help would be appreciated as I hope I really did not screw it up.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 PM
myk7
Pro

my guess would be that you aren't on the #1 plug wire ( driver side front) or your balancer has slipped

Last edited by myk7; 04-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 PM
bdchase73
Instructor

For sure on #1. Bal is new. BUT I marked the first line I saw on it with white paint. But then just noticed that further around is has additional marks from 0 - 50 I think... Will remark this tomorrow and see how it looks.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to remove and plug the vacuum line to the distributor advance.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
bdchase73
Instructor

I will be sure to do that. I thought that is what i was supposed to do. But then talked to a guy today before I did it and he told me to keep that on and plug the vac from the manifold. ugh.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
bdchase73
Instructor

I have been building this car since 09. And the motor was the 1st thing I finished and has been sitting since then. With my memory turning to mush over the years I can honestly remember the whole build as the time. Am I correct to say that if it is running very smooth and has good response to rpm that it is most likely assembled correctly? My fear is that I would have messed up the install of the timing chain or distro. But other then the timing marks being off it seems to run great. Started up only have turning over 3 or 4 times.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:52 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Timing has to be close since it started so easy- that's a good thing. Double check your "0" on the balancer and the tab. When you get those both confirmed you're off and running.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default What direction is below?

The timing marks on the dampner should show the advance is increasing clockwise as u face the engine. 2" below would normally mean down and that would be in the clockwise/advance direction. When i look at my dampner markes with the t-light from the front of the engine it shows TDC with increasing advance to the right or clockwise or lower direction or "below" TDC.
Your post reads like u have the retarded direction mistaken for the advance direction.

Do u know where your TDC mark is?
cardo0
Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I know it is early , but when you say what you did in post one , are you saying you left the vac adv hooked up to a vac source ? Or are you saying you plugged it off at the manifold ?

I wonder if you set the timing with the vac adv hooked up and now with it disconnected the timing dropped off dramatically .
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bdchase73
I have been building this car since 09. And the motor was the 1st thing I finished and has been sitting since then. With my memory turning to mush over the years I can honestly remember the whole build as the time. Am I correct to say that if it is running very smooth and has good response to rpm that it is most likely assembled correctly? My fear is that I would have messed up the install of the timing chain or distro. But other then the timing marks being off it seems to run great. Started up only have turning over 3 or 4 times.
The timing chain and distributor are PROBABLY installed correctly. However, this is a situation where two wrongs CAN make a right. If the spark plug wires are installed on the wrong distributor terminals but in the correct sequence the engine CAN run well. For now, I would assume that everything there is installed correctly.

The engine running very smooth with good response does NOT mean that the timing is correct. An engine with the timing retarded (to a certain degree) will run smoother than one with the correct timing. That is not good because it will run hotter than it should, use more gas and it could burn your valves. You need to get the timing set correctly.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM
myk7
Pro

It also could be that you have the wrong balancer... Do you have the part number for your balancer?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Iron_dog
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
The timing chain and distributor are PROBABLY installed correctly. However, this is a situation where two wrongs CAN make a right. If the spark plug wires are installed on the wrong distributor terminals but in the correct sequence the engine CAN run well. For now, I would assume that everything there is installed correctly.

The engine running very smooth with good response does NOT mean that the timing is correct. An engine with the timing retarded (to a certain degree) will run smoother than one with the correct timing. That is not good because it will run hotter than it should, use more gas and it could burn your valves. You need to get the timing set correctly.

This was my situation, then I understood how to put it right...

Get notified of new replies

To 350 Timing Question

Quick Reply: 350 Timing Question