C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viking Performance from Speed Direct?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Viking Performance from Speed Direct?

I need some advice--after many hours of research, I picked the Speed Direct Shark Bites for my 78's front suspension. I expected the QA1, but I received Viking Performance shocks. I was frosted.

Speed Direct was a class act though, and told me what I wanted to hear--they will swap the QA1s for the Vikings--but they believe that with the QA1's built off-shore, the Viking Shocks are better--and made in the USA by the same technical guys who have left QA1 to start Viking! (which is supported by the fact that they are pretty close together in MN.)

Eric (at Speed Direct) told me I wasn't the "first" and other guys out there have put them in, and so far no returns or complaints.

So help me out guys--what do you think? Are Viking Performance semi-coil overs as good as the QA-1's, has the quality of QA-1's dropped?

I have a few days to return them.

Choices:
1. Return all the Speed Direct stuff--buy Van Steel or VBP systems
2. Keep the Shark Bite and other components giving Viking a chance,
3. Accept the QA1 replacements from Speed Direct?

Thanks! Les

Last edited by Vettegineer; 04-04-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Vettegineer
I need some advice--after many hours of research, I picked the Speed Direct Shark Bites for my 78's front suspension. I expected the QA1, but I received Viking Performance shocks. I was frosted.

Speed Direct was a class act though, and told me what I wanted to hear--they will swap the QA1s for the Vikings--but they believe that with the QA1's built off-shore, the Viking Shocks are better--and made in the USA by the same technical guys who have left QA1 to start Viking! (which is supported by the fact that they are pretty close together in MN.)

Eric (at Speed Direct) told me I wasn't the "first" and other guys out there have put them in, and so far no returns or complaints.

So help me out guys--what do you think? Are Viking Performance semi-coil overs as good as the QA-1's, has the quality of QA-1's dropped?

I have a few days to return them.

Choices:
1. Return all the Speed Direct stuff--buy Van Steel or VBP systems
2. Keep the Shark Bite and other components giving Viking a chance,
3. Accept the QA1 replacements from Speed Direct?

Thanks! Les
QA-1's are built in the USA according to their website. So, whose distorting the truth? I have the QA-1's and am quite pleased with them.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I would go with what you wanted to begin with , you had to like what was offered as far as brands , you ordered it and got shocks you did not expect . Let them exchange them and you should be set
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Vettegineer
Advanced

I emailed both Viking Performance and QA1--you both make valid points. I asked Viking about their product innovations that make them "better than" QA1. I asked QA1 where their products are made.

Here is the rub--if SD thinks Viking is a better product, why don't they say so on their site? Eric explained their site is behind because they are so slammed with business. I guess this makes some sense--but not lots--I mean the pics are still of the QA1 shocks. Chances are I just swap for the QA1--but a small part of me is saying ship it all back and buy from a different forum partner. Though SD has handled the results of this perfectly, I'm afraid I've lost some respect, and wonder if I want to be quits. I'll consider thru the weekend. I'm leaning toward swapping and build as planned--but not sure. Especially if QA1 confirms that they are not offshore. I checked too--and I couldn't tell for sure--seems like final build of shock is in MN--but not sure where the parts come from. Thanks for your advice--I hope to get other thoughts--I've been wanting to build this for many years--don't need BS now!
Les
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Joey Nieves
Heel & Toe

There is a universal constant "vendors = say anything and sound convincing". It all comes down to what did you order and what did you get. When I was a kid there was a Ritz TV commercial (now there called ad's) that they would say the "it's the same size, same amount of holes, but they don't taste the same. you wanted QA1 you should get QA1. If you have doubts about what they told you call QA1, they should be able to tell you what you need to know about there product and they may be able to send you a comparison chart.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

speed direct is a good company with a good reputation, i doubt they would risk it on reduced quality parts. qa1 probably has a good market share and raised prices, viking is the new guy with a comparable product keeping costs low, or maybe qa1 can't meet demand. i would keep the viking shocks, in a year the will likely be the ones everybody wants
Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I have the QA-1 dual adjust front semi coil overs with speed direct 600# springs.

What did you go with?

I don't know about Viking shocks. do they also have a **** for adjustment?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

I ordered the double adjustment with 450lb springs--I increased the front bar to 1.125, and recently changed to 400 in the back (as I recall?) It is supposed to be an every day driver that I can autoX with if I want when I'm done--doing the LS3 swap now too...

I didn't look to see if they had a **** for adjustment--I boxed them back up as I was a bit sideways. I haven't ever seen any forum member complain about their QA1 shocks. Speed Direct/Van Steel/VBP people have favorites, but no one seems to complain once they have the QA1's on.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the QA1 web site,

Corvette Shocks
High Performance Handling for 1963 – Present Corvettes

QA1 has stock mount non-coil-over and coil-over shocks engineered specifically for your Corvette. Select from a variety of valving options, including double adjustable, single adjustable, “R” series and non-adjustable. Every shock is made in the U.S.A. and 100% dyno tested and serialized before it leaves our Minnesota factory.

Seems Viking are US made as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I ordered the double adjustment with 450lb springs--I increased the front bar to 1.125, .
I had the VB&P 550# for 20 years. I want something with less dive when you got on the brakes. I also have the 1 1/8th with spring end links
Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Vettegineer
Advanced

I have learned a few things--QA1's are DEFINITELY Made only in the USA. Let their be no question--I've heard from their sales manager, and they are very passionate about this (seems like gearheads aren't high on "Chinese" car parts!)

As for me, I initially decided to go with the QA1's, but now have decided to return the entire Speed Direct kit. I still think they are a good company with good designs--I have their Steeroids, and found them to be a good bolt-on design.

I also learned that you cannot powder coat their control arms after assembly. Their assembly involves press fit components that can't be re-used if disassembled. If you want powder coat on their control arms, work with them in advance.

Thanks for your help--this really helped me firm up my opinion and make a decision. In a couple years, we will find out Viking make THE shocks to own--LOL. The new system I order will have QA1's.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have learned a few things--QA1's are DEFINITELY Made only in the USA. Let their be no question--I've heard from their sales manager, and they are very passionate about this (seems like gearheads aren't high on "Chinese" car parts!)

As for me, I initially decided to go with the QA1's, but now have decided to return the entire Speed Direct kit. I still think they are a good company with good designs--I have their Steeroids, and found them to be a good bolt-on design.

I also learned that you cannot powder coat their control arms after assembly. Their assembly involves press fit components that can't be re-used if disassembled. If you want powder coat on their control arms, work with them in advance.

Thanks for your help--this really helped me firm up my opinion and make a decision. In a couple years, we will find out Viking make THE shocks to own--LOL. The new system I order will have QA1's.
so, you took a salesman's word as proof?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I goggled QA1 and found several claims there made in china , Personally I would not care but you did state that was a concern, Assembly is USA but the shock spring and rod are apparently made overseas. So it is a mixed bag which allows both the claim China made and USA made and both would not be a lie. ( Fox body guys are the main source I found stating China parts are used in QA1 shocks)

Anyway , good luck with the mods !~!~!~!~!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm interested in finding out the performance difference in both as the Viking is considerably less expensive, if they perform comparably then the Viking sounds the way to go

Get notified of new replies

To Viking Performance from Speed Direct?

Quick Reply: Viking Performance from Speed Direct?