C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM
uwish
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

I have an 81 the guy I bought it from told me the power antena was un pluged from the rear of the radio now I see the coaxial wire is broken . My question is , is there a power plug into the back of the radio that operates the up and down or does the coaxial antena operate this . thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

There are wires that go from the radio to a relay and then to the antenna. The relay is in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. There are three wires that go from the relay to the antenna one is white, green and grey. the wires that go to the relay from the radio are orange and yellow. The coaxial cable as you describe it is actually the antenna and its only function is to receive the radio signal. I hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Yellow1980
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by uwish
I have an 81 the guy I bought it from told me the power antena was un pluged from the rear of the radio now I see the coaxial wire is broken . My question is , is there a power plug into the back of the radio that operates the up and down or does the coaxial antena operate this . thanks
The cable is only for reception (no power). Radios normally have a blue wire (switched power) that is connected to the yellow wire that runs back to the relay in the jack compartment box behind the passenger seat. If you are using a after market power antenna, this relay may need to be bypassed for proper power antenna operation.

See my articles for more information:

Installing Metra's European Style Fully Automatic AM/FM Antenna 44-PW530 in a 1980 Corvette

Kenwood KIV-BT900 Digital Media Receiver 1980 Corvette Installation

Get notified of new replies

To Radio

Quick Reply: Radio