C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st spring cruise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
71redskin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st spring cruise

took the 71BB out for the first time this year and noticed a serious pull to the right when i apply the brake. is it time for a rebuild or something else i should look for. also when i let go of steering wheel car wants to go left. any suggestions on a good 4 wheel alignment shop that knows old vettes in the dc metro region. thanks guys
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the pull happens when braking? I had the same problem only to the left and it would pull really hard but only when braking. I replaced both front brake hoses and now it stops on a dime straight as an arrow. I guess the hose material finally swelled causing restrictions in the fluid flow. I will do the rear as I bought a kit with all 4 lines made with GoodYear rubber and American made.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the left side caliper isn't releasing the brake pads. So the left side drags when the brakes are not applied and causes a pull to the left. When you apply the brakes the left side isn't as effective as the right side because it is hot from dragging. Therefore the car pulls right because the right side is getting more braking action. You may have a piston in the caliper that is stuck or you may have an internal collapse of the rubber brake hose on the left side that is preventing the brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder. Unscrew the bleeder on the left side. If you get a strong squirt from it, the hose is probably preventing the fluid from returning to the master cylinder. If little to no fluid escapes then a piston is probably stuck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st spring cruise

Quick Reply: 1st spring cruise