C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which electric fans??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 01:10 AM
Rods77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which electric fans??

I am going with a griffin generic 31" x 19", 2x1" core aluminum radiator in my 77 and want to go with electric fans. I just can't seem to part with over $300.00 for the dual 11" spals and electrics so I'm looking for alternate routes. I've been looking at the perma-cools high performance series, they show a 16" that does 2950 cfm, or maybe dual 12" at 1650 cfm each. Anyone running anything other than the spals and had good luck? I live in the desert so it gets HHHot so I will be running the a/c. My engine is a 350 with the edelbrock performer package on it (heads, cam, intake). Thanks.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:15 AM
PrarieShark
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Which electric fans?? (Rods77)

Try Corvette Faq I think, they used duel electric fans from a late Z28 looks good to.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:45 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Given your location, I would be tempted to stick with the engine driven fan. Let's not forget that all of the auto makers do thier hot weather testing less than 100 miles from your house!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I'm running the Flex-a-lite dual 12" fans with the 1 1/4" generic Griffin. It has no problems cycling the fans (ie temp up, fans on, temp down, fans off) idling in the mid 90's that weve seen so far in Dallas. But, I do not have A/C. I think the complete kit from Summit is about $180.

If you are really worried about the heat, you might want to spend the extra $100 for the bigger core tube radiator.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:32 PM
78MoneyPit
Intermediate

I put dual flex-a-lite fans on my '78, 268 cam,eliminator intake. I live in Redding, CA so it gets over 100 a lot. Fans work fine unless I get on the freeway. The nice thing is the stock fan fits behind the electrics so I put it back on for the summer. Works great, I have A/C and it stays around 210 when I run A/C during the 100+ degree days, and then when I stop the electrics keep running for a few minutes depending on how hot it is and when I get back in the engine is cooled back down and the A/C works right away.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:54 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should go with the dual spals. You wouldn't want to go through the trouble of putting in the radiator, flex-a-lites, etc etc and have to yank it back out, have flex-a-lites that don't work for your application, and then end up buying the dual spals anyway.

Do it right the first time. I wouldn't trust flex-a-lite fans which rate their CFM free flowing, and NOT with any obstructions (ie radiator). For me it would be a no brainer due to the extreme hot climate you live in: Dual spals.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:26 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which electric fans?? (FroDaddy)

I'm running dual fans from a 96 z28 and my car doesn't get over 180 on the hottest days stuck in traffic. The camaro's are high powered vehicles that are often modded for even more power and they are run all over the US without cooling problems. The only advantage I see in the spals is that they are a lower profile fan so it LOOKS cleaner. But they won't help you perform better. Form follows function for me. That, and my fans only cost me $75. Check the camaro forum want ad's. Save your money for other things.

Also, check the corvette FAQ for details about installation.

Chris
Old 06-18-2002, 07:44 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Rod
The Spals are probably the Cadillacs of the electrics and I would have bought them had I known they existed 3 years ago. I'm 180 miles SW in the same climate(top of Cajon, SW of Victorville). With the Flex-A-Lite 210's, and a brass 4 core(opps, sorry Tom, 4 row) on a day like today, no A/C and just a bit more motor, I can come from here, through Baker, over Halloran, over MT. Pass and into LV at 100 MPH and never see 200 deg. It will idle all day at 180. Make sure you seal the radiator and the chin spoiler is in place. If all the parts are there these cars do not run hot.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:49 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Which electric fans?? (7Bob3)

Rod
The Spals are probably the Cadillacs of the electrics and I would have bought them had I known they existed 3 years ago. I'm 180 miles SW in the same climate(top of Cajon, SW of Victorville). With the Flex-A-Lite 210's, and a brass 4 core(opps, sorry Tom, 4 row) on a day like today, no A/C and just a bit more motor, I can come from here, through Baker, over Halloran, over MT. Pass and into LV at 100 MPH and never see 200 deg. It will idle all day at 180. Make sure you seal the radiator and the chin spoiler is in place. If all the parts are there these cars do not run hot.
Not having the AC on is the difference between my vette overheating and my vette hanging at 190 all day long. An AC car will overheat with stock parts in extreme heat climates. Someone will have to chime in before I will change my mind that stock cooling will be sufficient with AC in an extreme heat climate.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:34 PM
spikezz4
Pro

We use 90-96 Corvette dual fans we pick up with the fan shroud at swap meets for anywhere between $80 to $160 dollars. I'd rather have a cheaper assembly with fans that are old and/or don't work, because we replaced them with new GM units anyway. Parts are always readily available. The shop converts a half dozen or more C3' to electric fans this way, and has never had a cooling problem with high output engines with AC.
Spike
Old 06-20-2002, 01:06 AM
Rods77
Instructor

Default Re: Which electric fans?? (spikezz4)

That sounds like a good idea spikezz4...

Anyone know where to buy such a fan setup?...I mean besides the swapmeet or junkyard. Do they fit behind the rad without hitting the suspension pieces, will it fit a 31 x 19 griffin?

Get notified of new replies

To Which electric fans??

Quick Reply: Which electric fans??