C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM report says Zinc level in motor oil DOES NOT matter

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
540 RAT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Default GM report says Zinc level in motor oil DOES NOT matter

See 540 RAT's "Sticky" at the top of the main page titled "Motor Oil Wear Test and Lab Test Data", then go to page 6 of the sticky, and see reply number 103. Enjoy

540 RAT
Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 RAT
Many of you know that I've performed extensive motor oil "Wear Testing" over that past year. And among the most profound results that came out of my testing, was the fact that the zinc levels made no difference on how well a motor oil can provide wear protection.

Of course many people could not accept that, even though they had no hard data to prove otherwise. So, I got pounded a lot for my real world test results, even though real world testing is the Gold Standard for determining how well various oils can protect engines from wear.

Below is a link to a GM report that includes info on zinc in motor oil. And their report says the exact same thing that I found in my testing. So, with my testing and the GM report saying the same thing, maybe now naysayers will believe that my oil test data was in fact valid all along.

Between the two, this proves you cannot put any value in a motor oil list of zinc levels. And you cannot believe cam and lifter Companies who tell you that you need a certain zinc level.

Here's the link:

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/oil_myths.pdf

540 RAT
Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
here.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

So oil co's were never using zinc/phos for an extreme pressure additive, just for their other benefits ?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

i spent over 25 years in automotive R&D and there are a lot of "facts" that get posted all over the internet that are not nessasarily the way it really is. i used to feel like christopher columbus telling people the earth was round and the "experts" knew for a fact it was flat. so now i just keep my mouth shut and let the experts on any particular subject get it wrong.
i'm not saying all the info here or on the net is BS..........just don't believe everything you read
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

The forum hornets are forming up for a swarm. Suit up and buckle up. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

I've never used any of these boutique oils or zinc additives. I am immune to their marketing and, on occasion, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

your doing great work 540 Rat in educating us with open minds. Thank you sir.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM
73C34me
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

[I appreciate all of th O.P. Research and data. I just wish i could afford to practice these concepts and not wipe my large flat tappet cam. so for now i have to take it on faith, not knowlege. Knowledge will come after someone actually test the oils in a running engine with an agressive flat tappet cam. I wiped a cam 10 years ago and don't wish to repeat.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

"Backward compatability was of great importance when the Starburst oil standards were
developed by a group of experts from the OEMs, oil companies, and oil additive companies.
In addition, multiple oil and additive companies ran no-harm tests on older engines with the
new oils; and no problems were uncovered."

Anytime a new oil is developed, it is designed to work in older engines, but STOCK older engines. Doesn't take into account older engines with aftermarket aggresive lift profile cams.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
"Backward compatability was of great importance when the Starburst oil standards were
developed by a group of experts from the OEMs, oil companies, and oil additive companies.
In addition, multiple oil and additive companies ran no-harm tests on older engines with the
new oils; and no problems were uncovered."

Anytime a new oil is developed, it is designed to work in older engines, but STOCK older engines. Doesn't take into account older engines with aftermarket aggresive lift profile cams.
The test actually uses a V6 running 3500 RPM and under with a #205 open pressure spring. The "backward compatability" is a joke.

Originally Posted by 63mako
I have read this numerous times. These are the requirements for backward compatability. It is a joke.

The new Starburst specification contains two valve-train wear tests. All Starburst oil
formulations must pass these two tests.
1 Sequence IVA tests for camshaft scuffing and wear using a single overhead camshaft
engine with slider finger (not roller) followers.

Link is Here:

http://www.swri.org/4org/d08/gastests/ivatest/

The first test is done with a 1994 Nissan KA24E, 2.4-liter, water-cooled, fuel-injected engine, 4-cylinder in-line, overhead camshaft with 2 intake valves, and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder.
It is a 100 hour test. each hour is broken down to 50 Min @ 800 RPM and 10 min @ 1500 RPM. The test sequence never exceeds 1500 RPM.

It has no correlation to a flat tappet cam and lifter set in an american V8 especially a high lift, high RPM, aftermarket or solid lifter flat tappet cam.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Sequence IIIG evaluates cam and lifter wear using a V6 engine with a flat-tappet system,
similar to those used in the 1980s

This test is done with an RPM limit of 3500 and an open spring pressure of #205. I am linking the original testing protocol below. Of signifigant interest should be the chart on page 6. I shows average wear with #180 springs and .03, and .05 phosphorous (The protective element in ZDDP) and again with #205 springs with .03, .05 and .095 Phosphorous. The increase in spring pressure required a higher percentage of ZDDP to protect the cam according to the chart. The difference in average wear with a #205 spring and .05 Phosphorous is 153. with .095 phoshorous average wear is 16. That is a wear reduction of 89%. Your typical BBC solid flat tappet spring might be in the neighborhood of #160 seat pressure and 450 open, over twice the spring pressure in the test. It might also see shift points of 7000 RPM, again twice the top RPM in the test. The difference in pressure measured in PSI seen at the lifter foot/cam lobe interface between a #205 spring @ 3500 RPM and a #450 spring @ 7000 RPM is astronomical. Again this backward compatability test has no real relevence in the real world other that the proof in the chart on page 6 that as spring pressures increase HIGHER LEVELS OF ZDDP ARE NEEDED TO REDUCE WEAR!

You are also breaking down ZDDP as you run the engine. An oil that starts with 800 PPM might have 400 PPM at 3000 miles. If it has heavy springs and run hard it might have 200 PPM. The v6 3800 engine with #205 springs might have 600 PPM left.

Here is the test Evolution and requirements.
ftp://ftp.astmtmc.cmu.edu/docs/gas/s...2002-24-04.pdf

The biggest positive to be taken from reading this paper is that the optional Phosphate coatings being done today by some of the cam manufacturers is the very best protection against premature wear if your using a flat tappet cam.

You are an engineer. Do some real in depth research before you post.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

GM report says Zinc level in motor oil DOES NOT matter

Nowhere in that paper does it say that or anything close to that.
Look at average wear vs Phosphorous level vs spring pressure in the below link. Chart at the top of page 6

ftp://ftp.astmtmc.cmu.edu/docs/gas/s...2002-24-04.pdf

Last edited by 63mako; 03-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Guess they can take the zddp out of assembly lube now, and we have no need to run break-in oil/additive EVER again...

Not me, coach...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

63Mako: great posts.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Hmm, Quickly looking through those reports I'm reading that having ZDP in the 0.08% to 0.1% range is good for getting decent wear protection but knowing if the engine needs it is another issue.

The arguement in the original posted report says that the new Starburst oils have similar ZDP as the older oils because they have 0.08% maximum ZDP in them. Well, what is the minimum levels they might have???? Bet it's way below 0.08%.

I've written many reports like the first one. Often, I'm just pulling info out of my *** to satify a customer. Well, maybe not quite but it can often be educated guesses more than real facts. Just saying.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 03-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Hmm, Quickly looking through those reports I'm reading that having ZDP in the 0.08% to 0.1% range is good for getting decent wear protection but knowing if the engine needs it is another issue.

The arguement in the original posted report says that the new Starburst oils have similar ZDP as the older oils because they have 0.08% maximum ZDP in them. Well, what is the minimum levels they might have???? Bet it's way below 0.08%.

I've written many reports like the first one. Often, I'm just pulling info out of my *** to satify a customer. Well, maybe not quite but it can often be educated guesses more than real facts. Just saying.
According to the VOA's I am seeing <.08 to .06 is typical in modern SM-SN rated oil.
.095% seems like a safe level when operating within the parameters of the test which is a V6 with #205 spring pressure operating under 3500 RPM.
I know of no engine ever installed in a corvette with #205 open spring pressure or a 3500 RPM redline so the backward compatability testing is a joke.
The chart seems to indicate that as spring pressures increase ZDDP levels need to increase as well to provide the same protection. The same can be logically assumed for RPM since the higher RPM the higher loading at the lifter/lobe interface. This is exactly what the cam manufacturers and oil companies are claiming. The oil companies will not recommend a sub .08% ZDDP oil "SM/SN" in writing for a flat tappet engine. There is a reason for that. Liability. All they will say is "they pass the Sequence IIIG tesing for backward compatability". Many are making a High ZDDP oil epecially for flat tappet engines and marketing them as such. This is not an "old wifes tale" but facts. The facts can be found in the ASTM sequence IIIG testing protocol and charts, graphs and text associated with it.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Yes, the test parameters don't apply well to many real-world engines.

Do you have any data that validates how much more could be better? That initial document linked lists in the history description that 0.14% is somewhat of the limit where more wear can occur long term. However, there is no testing data confirming that number.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Just to note, the sticky top 13 oils are all above 0.11% ZDP so it could be more that those oils all have enough ZDP that the composition of everything else in each oil determines how good it is. In other words, I could agree that ZDP isn't the only thing that determines how well an oil resists wear but looking at this data I can't agree that ZDP is not important.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

you mean you don't trust G.M ? i know i don't. i believe they are in it with the E.P.A, the government is after everything else why not destroy old cars.

Get notified of new replies

To GM report says Zinc level in motor oil DOES NOT matter

Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yes, the test parameters don't apply well to many real-world engines.

Do you have any data that validates how much more could be better? That initial document linked lists in the history description that 0.14% is somewhat of the limit where more wear can occur long term. However, there is no testing data confirming that number.
There is other actual testing I have read that shows that ZDDP levels over .16 cause damage. This one says .14. This has been discussed at length in the oil sticky and the general consensus seemed to be .10% is minimum for stock engines. .16 is maximum for all out race engines. I have a roller and use Amsoil AMO10W-40 which has a little less than .14% ZDDP. I don't believe the EPA has our engines best interests in mind and I don't have Cats on my car.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I worked for GM for 40 years. They used to be honorable and trustworthy. But, they threw that out with their retirees many years ago. They don't make any parts anymore...just assemble stuff...and I wouldn't believe ANYTHING they professed.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If it is a myth, then help me understand the following.

Lets agree that Castrol is a company that is in business to make money and that they make money by selling oil to as many people as possible.

To help sell oil they have a little website to find a compatible oil for your car. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/Lubes...ategoryId=4590

Now, if you select Chevrolet >Corvette the oldest you can pick is 1980. Guess what, the company that makes money selling oil has " NO MATCH" for a motor oil for that car. (They did have the wherewithall to know not to include a 1983 Corvette. So perhaps some thought was put into this list of theirs.)

In fact, Castrol has "NO MATCH" for motor oil for a Corvette until 1987. I believe that is when GM changed to a roller cam in the Corvette isnt it?

If there is no harm in using any oil, then why is Castrol leaving money on the table by not suggesting oils to us unless we have a roller cam engine?

seriously i dont understand.

I don't need to get bogged down in all the tests and data. Tell me why Castrol won't recommend an oil for our cars and I will understand.

Last edited by johnt365; 03-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: GM report says Zinc level in motor oil DOES NOT matter