C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Thinpockets
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Install Problem

I put a new fuel tank in and it went pretty good except the fuel neck is about 3/4" too far towards the rear so the hinge on the cover jams on the rubber tank seal and it won't close entirely.
I'm trying to move the tank farther forward but it won't go. There are high spots on both ends of the removable bracket under the tank that fit into depressions in the tank. I loosened the straps and the bracket and I still wasn't able to move it forward. It seems like it is where it's supposed to be.

Any ideas? Is it possible that the tank seal (Ecklers) is just not big enough?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have the removable cross bar in the right way, it can be installed backwards and will raise the tank.
Did you have the body off, if so is the body at the correct place.
Is the rubber boot on backwards.
Just a few ideas
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Thinpockets
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cross bar is in correct and I haven't had the body off. The rubber boot is on with the drain hole and hose to the rear and the large side of the boot is on the hinge side where it needs to be.
Maybe the reason I can't move it is because the boot itself is hung up on the underside of the filler hole where the cover frame screws in.
Tomorrow morning I'm goig to put a jack under the tank and remove the removable bracket and discover where I went wrong - I hope.

Thanks for your thoughts on it.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tank sits at an angle when properly installed.. Remove the boot and get the tank positioned where it needs to be first. Kind of difficult with a jack and mostly arm strong it in place. Drain the gas and its a little easier to move around.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

What he said! You need to 'roll' the tank to the back to line up the neck...then lock it back down.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank Install Problem

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Install Problem