C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seals needed? What else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Rear seals needed? What else?

Looking to stem the leaks in the rear now that most of my engine leaks are finally under control. Can those with more experience confirm that I need a new pinion seal and half-shaft seals based on these photos?

Anything else I should consider? Are either of these repairs something that can be tackled under jack stands with limited experience but an AIM in hand? If I take it to a shop what else should I consider them doing while in that area?

Thanks for helping me become less of a newbie.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Hard to be sure from the pictures. The U-joints will also sling some grease if they've been lubricated regularly. If you're going to do the seals, you pretty much have to pull the rear end out of the car. While you've got it out, you should probably replace the U-joints, strut rod bushings, and spring cushions. It looks like your pinion mount bushing has been done recently. Check your differential output yokes for wear. They're probably done too. If your rear wheel bearings have never been repacked, you're probably going to want to pull your trailing arms and have them rebuilt...Why don't you just go for a body off restoration?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like you need the pinion seal and the axle seals so you will need to pull the diff from the car. I would check U-joints, bushings etc and replace anything thats worn. In my opinion it's easy to remove half shafts so why replace good U-joints there. There is probably something else that needs to be replaced. The drive shaft U-joints are a lot harder to replace so I did replace those while the rear was out.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Pulling the differential is a major undertaking and you do not want to do it more than once. I found it to be more difficult than pulling the engine and transmission. Therefore, as others have said, you really need to take care of all the "while I'm at its." I delivered my pumpkin to a knowledgeable machine shop for new seals but it actually needed new bearings and a cross shaft. Replaced all the bearings while in there. The stub axles (costly) were still within spec. Good time to replace the wheel bearings, u-joints, parking brakes, trailing arm bushings...they were all over 40 years old and in need of replacement.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 02-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That's what I was afraid of... mission creep likely beyond my capabilities...
Okay, thanks for the insight guys. I'll consider my next steps here. (May have to delay this project until experience and/or funds increase.)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Without a doubt you will need stub axles and a cross shaft. If there is any play in the pinion bearings you are looking at a rebuild. Everyone else made good points and by the looks of it the rear suspension/driveline hasn't be touched for a long time. So plan on the worst case. I doubt, from past experience, you will find anyone in Tyler to do this work correctly. Plan on driving to Garland to get it done right.
Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyler? - you aren't that far away. Drop that sucker off in Garland.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear seals needed? What else?

Quick Reply: Rear seals needed? What else?