C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header confused

going to rebuild engine, base model, not looking to hot rod but would like to add headers and maybe aluminum intake, so many header options, looking for exact fit, dont want to modify car or header, best looks that last, no sidepipes, any suggestions appreciated
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I used. I had no problems with fit, but I do have rack and pinion steering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bi...ette/year/1973
Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Hooker comp fits well. You can get the ceramic coated from summit.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Hooker Super Comp. Perfect fit. Might need minor grinding to clear spark plug wrench if you have angle plugs.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
renovator
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just recently replaced the 30 year old Hedman headers in my 70 base w/ac, of which fit perfect with my 400 TH trannie. Long story short the old headers did not clean up as well as hoped for ceramic coating so I purchased the new Hedman 68300' s that should have fit well but the new design swept much closer to the block and would not clear my trannie. Returned them and then I ponied up for the Doug's from the advice of the guys at Summit and these fit perfect!! Appear to be well made.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I know you dont want to hot rod the motor, but if you are going through the effort and expense to rebuild the motor and add headers and an aftermarket intake, then I would bet you a beer that there is an aftermarket cam choice out there that will add performance or mpg or something. There is 40 something years of technology in cams since then.

Are you looking for a block hugger header that will bolt up to the existing exhaust pipe or a long tube header that does not require any dimples or other mods? Adapting any long tube headers is going to require some cutting and welding to mate with your existing pipes.

I would not rule out a well thought out cam upgrade.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
73silververt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, theres something to smoke over, all of exhaust is going to be replaced so a long tube header would probably be my choice. the cam upgrade is probably a good idea too, nothing wrong with a little more power, better mpg would be bonus
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the hedman headers. I dont know if you have ever had headers before or perhaps its been long enough to forget about some of the issues they can bring. Here are some things to think about.

1. Heat- It can be hard on your starter. There are several ways to combat this but if you have never had a heat soaked starter, headers will help that...
2. Loose bolts- They come loose all the time. Again, several ways to combat this.
3. Fitment- Its why you posted. Just cause they fit in there doesnt mean its easy to do.
4. Leaky collectors- That 3 bolt collector flange can leak if it gets bent or as they get old.

They sound good and add noticable power. Here is a pic of how I fixed the leaky collector issue. Some header makers have other connection options. I had to use a sawsall and V-band clamps

Clamps installed just after crossmember for easy tranny removal.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

without calling it hot rodding make your engine more effecient get your compression up and get rid of the silly .390/410 lift factory cam. compression and lift are both your friends for extra torque.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 02-26-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73silververt
going to rebuild engine, base model, not looking to hot rod but would like to add headers and maybe aluminum intake, so many header options, looking for exact fit, dont want to modify car or header, best looks that last, no sidepipes, any suggestions appreciated
Hello 73silververt, I put a set of 68300 Hedmans on my 77 with Dart Pro 1 straight plug heads. They fit with no clearance issues. However, I believe I might have the old design of this header as I bought the headers used and had them ceramic coated. Don
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 AM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"hedman direct fit" and they fit my '81 perfectly. No mods needed and reasonable.

Get notified of new replies

To header confused

Quick Reply: header confused