C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant seem to get brakes right!My

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM
canomjm1a1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant seem to get brakes right!My

My 76 vette is giving me fits with the brakes! I can't figure what I'm doing wrong! I adjusted the booster pushrod to have a firm pedal! Problem is, about 5 miles down the road, brakes lock up and the pedal is rock solid! The instant fix is to back the master cylinder off the booster! Any ideas or procedures?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Back off the push rod....power brakes should not be that firm.....variants in vacuum will cause that.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Trent Mayo
Instructor

I have been chasing this exact same problem for three years now (mainly because I was in school and didn't have time to work on it). Its been by far the most frustrating thing I've dealt with on my 75! My rear brakes are the ones that always lock down after about two miles, only to be temporarily fixed by bleeding the rear line at the master cylinder.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Make sure there is freeplay between the pushrod and the master cylinder piston when pushing on the pedal. If not, the brakes will be on a tiny bit, getting them hot and compounding the problem.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
canomjm1a1
Heel & Toe

I got a feeling I know what the problem is! Now that it's getting warmer, the problem is getting worse! I had this near same thing happen when a front left caliper froze! Come to find out, it wasn't the caliper, but the brake hose! I felt like I had good brakes, but when I went to stop, it pulled HARD to the left! The brake pedal got hard and the car quit moving! I cooled the brakes with water and all was fine until it happened again a few miles down the road! The brake hose swells on the inside and allows the pressure of the master cylinder to go through! But the caliper can't overcome the restriction of the hose and the brake(s) to stay applied! I believe this to be the problem! The warmer the weather, the softer the hose! Anyone??!!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by canomjm1a1
I got a feeling I know what the problem is! Now that it's getting warmer, the problem is getting worse! I had this near same thing happen when a front left caliper froze! Come to find out, it wasn't the caliper, but the brake hose! I felt like I had good brakes, but when I went to stop, it pulled HARD to the left! The brake pedal got hard and the car quit moving! I cooled the brakes with water and all was fine until it happened again a few miles down the road! The brake hose swells on the inside and allows the pressure of the master cylinder to go through! But the caliper can't overcome the restriction of the hose and the brake(s) to stay applied! I believe this to be the problem! The warmer the weather, the softer the hose! Anyone??!!
I've seen the hoses swell and get small but never closed off. I would look at the caliper pistons sticking when they get hot. But let us know if the brake line works out for you
Autozone is selling calipers for $68 each if you want to go that way.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

did this just start or after master cyl replace?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Might as well just get it over with and redo the whole system and be done with it.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
canomjm1a1
Heel & Toe

No, Mick, this a redo in progress! Already done booster and master cylinder! As a tank mechanic with M1A1 and M1A1 SEPS tanks, we are taught that with troubleshooting and and uncertainty, always replace the cheap parts first! Think I'll start with the hoses first and go from there! I'll let ya know!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Originally Posted by canomjm1a1
No, Mick, this a redo in progress! Already done booster and master cylinder! As a tank mechanic with M1A1 and M1A1 SEPS tanks, we are taught that with troubleshooting and and uncertainty, always replace the cheap parts first! Think I'll start with the hoses first and go from there! I'll let ya know!
so when did the issue start, before or after
mc change?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If your rubber hoses are old or unknown. Replace them. Seen many a caliper hang up due to this issue. The opposite problem of one blowing out is even worse. Your symptoms certainly sound like it could be a hose.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
71corvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Please see my post about brake pushrod length in the general discussion forum. Look for 71corvette. If your brake pushrod is a just a little too long, it won't let your master cylinder valve return all the way back. This in turn causes the master cylinder to pump up the brakes and eventually it will lock either the front or rear brakes. If you have power brakes, I have provided the correct pushrod length. I validated the length I provided tonight by measuring a new power brake booster. If your pushrod length is correct, then your idea on brake hoses could be worth checking especially if it is pulling to one side or the other.

Get notified of new replies

To Cant seem to get brakes right!My

Quick Reply: Cant seem to get brakes right!My