C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sbc vs bbc build price

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM
upcominZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc vs bbc build price

Are there advantages to building a sbc 350 over a bbc? Price difference? Parts availability? When I say build, I mean a basic street build.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Everyone has SBC parts and kits for a rebuild, cheap or should I say inexpensive, Then the BB, well it will take a little more $ but not much as its still plentifull and still not a ford
O yea I do own a 550hp classic stang,,, did I just say that
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

To make "big" power, the SBC needs aftermarket heads. Not so with a big block, there are plenty of factory castings that'll make 600hp without too much trouble. Differences in prices for parts is negligible. Buying all the stuff it takes to hang accessories is a good bit more expensive for the big block, though.
You gotta figure the big block "grins" into the equation - those that can't be wiped off your face when you either 1)open the hood to show your power plant, or 2) mash the loud pedal.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The power small blocks are throwing down for a cheap price is hard to beat and the weight savings is huge!
But if a cheap 454 lands in your lap, there's no replacement for displacement!

The machine shop doesn't car if its big or small block, it all about the same for machine work. Stock replacement parts, pistons, cam, bearings, gaskets, ect.... Are about 30% more and that's on the high side of pricing.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The BBC wil cost more but look what you get.

A sbc with the good stuff can make good hp but youll never get the brute torque you will with the cubes of the BBC and thats what makes a street car fun. hp/rpm motor get expensive real quick!!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

If you were just shooting for 500 crank HP or less, costs will be similar, although maybe a bit less for the BBC since you can use stock heads, crank, rods... But you take the 150lb weight penalty...

If you are looking for more HP then that, the SBC build costs will shoot up high real quick...and a BBC becomes more cost effective.. This depending on the quality of parts you use, the rate the machine shop charges for machining and assembly and how much of it you do yourself.

A 600hp SBC will cost more then a 600hp BBC..

Remember you also have to factor in the conversion costs of the BBC stuff.. (Brackets, pullies, headers etc etc).
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Conversion cost is what gets you with a big block, especially if you do not have a complete big block to rebuild. I am working on doing a conversion on my 71, and only had a BBC block and crank to start with. I am looking at around 8-10K to build up a decent BBC engine that I want vs rebuilding a SBC for 2-5k. All the little stuff is adding up like radiator, pulleys, brackets, flywheel, balancer, etc. that are not usable from a 350 to a 454.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Conversion cost is what gets you with a big block, especially if you do not have a complete big block to rebuild. I am working on doing a conversion on my 71, and only had a BBC block and crank to start with. I am looking at around 8-10K to build up a decent BBC engine that I want vs rebuilding a SBC for 2-5k. All the little stuff is adding up like radiator, pulleys, brackets, flywheel, balancer, etc. that are not usable from a 350 to a 454.
You should have just picked up a Vortecpro 496" for $7800 shipped... They make between 650-680 HP and are very low maintenance..

Stick it in your car and run 10s on pump gas.... DONE.

But yes, the BB brackets, pullies ext ext will eat your budget alive.. Not to mention the good water pump, better radiator...ext..

I did the conversion and its quite expensive.. But then again, a well built SBC that makes 600+ HP will cost you $10-12k so.... It's almost a toss up sometimes...

The big block is very streetable and can still run good ETs with highway gears and a tight converter.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
If you were just shooting for 500 crank HP or less, costs will be similar, although maybe a bit less for the BBC since you can use stock heads, crank, rods... But you take the 150lb weight penalty...

If you are looking for more HP then that, the SBC build costs will shoot up high real quick...and a BBC becomes more cost effective.. This depending on the quality of parts you use, the rate the machine shop charges for machining and assembly and how much of it you do yourself.

A 600hp SBC will cost more then a 600hp BBC..

Remember you also have to factor in the conversion costs of the BBC stuff.. (Brackets, pullies, headers etc etc).
The only thing I would add is don't forget everything behind the engine.The torque of a built bbc can take out driveline components
much easier than a small block.

Last edited by 76strokervette; 02-20-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: in post 2 times
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Get a dart based 427 SBC ,,, saves weight , no need to worry if something will bolt back on and it makes 610hp for under 8k .. And only needs 6300 rpm to hit max power .
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
upcominZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reason I asked this is b/c I noticed you can get a rebuilt 454 from summit done by atk for $3300 with a claimed 415hp and 497ft-lbs tq. One of the more popular crate engines is the year one 400+hp/tq vortec based 350. It seems doing a bbc conversion would net better gains. I would rather rebuild a used 454 to a 496 and reuse everything else. It can be done for similar price compared to the crate engine but with better internals.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Machining is the same, just get a price on both rebuild kits and you'll have a goo idea of the difference in your costs.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You should have just picked up a Vortecpro 496" for $7800 shipped... They make between 650-680 HP and are very low maintenance..

Stick it in your car and run 10s on pump gas.... DONE.

But yes, the BB brackets, pullies ext ext will eat your budget alive.. Not to mention the good water pump, better radiator...ext..

I did the conversion and its quite expensive.. But then again, a well built SBC that makes 600+ HP will cost you $10-12k so.... It's almost a toss up sometimes...

The big block is very streetable and can still run good ETs with highway gears and a tight converter.
I have my own engine build I want to do and eventually want to make me a ZL1 block BBC.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Cstraub69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A basic build using an engine kit with press fit forged pistons and recon on the rods and crank on each engine coupled with a good aftermarket carb, intake, and headers will yield you about 1HP per cube. So you are comparing 350HP to 460HP. Add heads and a hyd roller stick you can obtain 1.2HP per cube.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

rebuilding a 350 makes no sense if you can make it a 383 for not a whole lot more, nearly everything from the original engine would be tossed out so its not a very cheap option. Ajrothm mentioned a 496 for $7800 shipped - sounds like a steal to me... as long as you keep stock tires all should be OK, when you start transferring power to pavement everything will give up and it doesn't matter if its a build SBC or BBC
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty

I had the same experience..

I ended paying an easy $10,000 not including the EFI I added. As Alan said, it may be best to buy one already built from a pro engine builder who has his own shop. Shops can usually get all the parts much cheaper than what you or me can get them. On top of that we have to pay for all the machine work labor and what not...

I strongly disagree with the comment that there is hardly a difference in cost between building a BBC or a SBC. Things like the damper, rotating assemblies, lifters, rocker arms, valves, studs, valve covers, intake manifolds, headers, etc, etc, etc... They are cost more.. I would be willing to bet with just the parts mentioned there would be close to if not more than a $1,000. If SBC costs $10,000 to build, thats a difference of 10%.

If my goal was 500 HP with either a traditional SBC (gen1) or BBC, I would turn that 350 into a SBC 396 (4.03 w/ 3.875 stroke). You would have the ups of BBC such a HP, TQ, size, and you wont be burdened with the extra weight. Not only that, you can save money reusing some of the parts you already have.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Allow me to share a slightly different opinion. Be careful WHICH year Big Block you invest in. I just sold my 82 Camaro. I had a moderately worked 350 in it which was pushing about 350hp. (about 150 more HP than a stock setup) I had about 3 grand invested in the engine. (including initial purchase price of a stock, .030 long block) Nothing extreme, but it was a STRONG motor. Small blocks can make HUGE gains fairly cheaply. Heads, cam, exhaust and a carb can done for under 2 grand.

Now lets look at my 454....

270 HP from the factory. Are you kidding me?? (Its a 72 motor) OK, I get it, smog control choked the hell out of them, but 270??? Now what will it take me to get this engine to produce another 150 HP like I did with my small block? Carb, exhaust, cam,...AND....A set of heads...AND pistons.....heads ALONE will run me at least 2 grand.

So, my meager point is that while a 454 is a great starting point to compare to what a mild 350 will perform like...getting a stock 454 to 'perform' costs far more than a small block. Dollar for dollar, HP is cheaper with a small block.

Get notified of new replies

To sbc vs bbc build price

Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have fun with it but it sure brings a smile to you face when you open that hood and you see nothing but motor between the fenders with the BB.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have fun with it but it sure brings a smile to you face when you open that hood and you see nothing but motor between the fenders with the BB.
What he said!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Small blocks can make HUGE gains fairly cheaply. Heads, cam, exhaust and a carb can done for under 2 grand.
Let us know which shop will do that and what new parts will actually be used! seems like a steal - send them a clunker 350 and they'll turn it into a 350hp machine!

Originally Posted by Scottd
Now lets look at my 454....

270 HP from the factory. Are you kidding me?? (Its a 72 motor) OK, I get it, smog control choked the hell out of them, but 270??
we went from bubba braggin hp to "as installed" hp in 71....

Quick Reply: sbc vs bbc build price