C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 AC condenser

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Ryder12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 AC condenser

I have a 1977 coup and I had the AC system totally rebuilt it works ok but I am told that the reason it does not get as cold as I would like is that the stock condenser does not work well with the R134. I have been looking everywhere for a high flow condenser that will bolt right on and is made for the R 134. Does anyone know where I can find the condenser that I need.
Joe
Old 02-17-2013, 01:05 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

There are other reasons. It could be over or under charged with 134a. Stock fan set up is weak for getting enough air through condensor at idle, electric fans are much better. At cruise speeds air coming in is dependent on air dam on the front being present to direct air through the condenser/radiator. I had to extend mine 1 1/2 inches to get good air flow through the condenser area and that made a big difference.
Insulating the interior under the carpet in the area of the floor pans helps tons for keeping interior temps down.
If your getting 50* at idle out of the vents and 42*-45* while cruising then your air is working like it should. Get a candy thermometer and take some temps.
The stock circulation fan is a weak at delivering enough air to the cab for circulation. I converted to the C4 fan and it is mucho improved over stock. Do a search for this mod. It really helps is cheap but a bit of a pain in the back, literally.
I can turn my stock 77 cab into a freezer @ 100* with these mods and I am running 134a with no changes to the condenser or compressor.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have the same problem. I redid mine 2 years ago to the R-134. It never gets cold enough. I did a simple test, Placed car in park and ran the garden hose over the condenser. The air cooled another 8-12 degrees. I just never had the $$ nor the kick in the a$$ to look for and change the condenser. I went as far as taking out the fan replacing with a C4, Taking the A/C fan shroud off, cutting down the middle and fiberglassing back together. (making it wider to flow more air. I even placed a bigger ground wire on to increase the fan speed. ALL of which helped some, but the condener still needs to be changed for the cold air I'm looking for.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a parallel flow condenser with an electric fan in front. Vintage air carries these items and the fan will keep cooler temps when the car is stopped. You can also upgradethe fan system as daanbc suggested but also make sure no air is leaking where the ducts fit together or around the vent. Duct tape and vent foam will solve those two problems.
Good Luck
Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I did an entire write-up after installing a Vintage Air unit into my 77.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...in-a-77-a.html

Included in this write up is my installation of a parallel flow condenser. The total cost was approx $120 and used the stock mounting points and hardware. Please note that I had to make custom hoses for my install and you will also probably have to do so for ahything other than the stock condenser.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

I also replaced my system using a parrallel flow condenser. I bought mine fron Nostalgic Air. I used my original brackets to mount it to my radiator support.
15x27 Superflow

My install page

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 AC condenser

Quick Reply: 1977 AC condenser