C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyones r4 compressor lasted more than 2 years?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default has anyones r4 compressor lasted more than 2 years?

anyone?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

rebuilt unit, NO, lasted 1 yr., so i purchased a new one, so far still going, 3 yrs later. fyi
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 414 Posts

I've had the same compressor for about 15 years. Great, now I've jinxed it. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Are you running R-12 or R-134a?
R4 compressors were marginal running R-12 and virtually useless when running the higher pressures required for R-134a.
If you are running a reman unit, all bets are off...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Mine's been cooling for as long as I've owned the car.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezobens
Are you running R-12 or R-134a?
R4 compressors were marginal running R-12 and virtually useless when running the higher pressures required for R-134a.
We can't get R-12 anymore in Canada. That R-12a hydrocarbon is advertised as a replacement with lower head pressure. Can we use that with an R4?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich's'78
We can't get R-12 anymore in Canada. That R-12a hydrocarbon is advertised as a replacement with lower head pressure. Can we use that with an R4?
I don't know if I'd mess with anything other than true R-12.
Are you close enough to the border to run to the states and get your R-12?

You may have to bite the bullet and go with R-134a and convert to a Sanden style compressor with new hoses and parallel flow radiator..
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

I cant get R12 here anymore. I have been through 2 compressors and the first one rattled and jammed up( probably bearing ) the second one had more leaks than a russian submarine.

I have bought a sanden and bracket but sadly for me i cant make it fit because of how my headers are built. Also buying a parallel cross flow condenser is out of the question with my location.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
I have bought a sanden and bracket but sadly for me i cant make it fit because of how my headers are built. Also buying a parallel cross flow condenser is out of the question with my location.
A Sanden install should be just fairly straight forward, even with headers?
Pictures may be required-
A parallel flow condenser is smaller (thinner) than the OEM unit so I'm not sure why you couldn't get it to fit either?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

A Sanden install should be just fairly straight forward, even with headers?
Pictures may be required-
A parallel flow condenser is smaller (thinner) than the OEM unit so I'm not sure why you couldn't get it to fit either?
yes pictures will explain it. welcome to my world with a right hand drive vet. see the steering box deep down there, hence why my number 2 cylinders exhaust port has to wrap up and over 4 and 6.

I have dummy fitted my sanden bracket so you can visualize my drama. The back of the sanden is contacting the header keeping in mind it wouldnt matter what bracket i use as the sanden will always be in the same spot for the pulleys to line up. If i swing the bracket out full extension i dont have the clearance from my upper control arm.

headache i tell you.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 02-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Wow.. Missed the RH drive part.. Yikes..
Have you considered converting to LH drive? just kidding...

Seems like you should have a ton of room on the left side then?
Can you install the alternator on the RH side and the A/C compressor on the left?
Other than having to get creative with the hose routing, that may be your best bet.
It's hard to tell in the pictures but is the evaporator case also on the right side?!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Wow.. Missed the RH drive part.. Yikes..
Have you considered converting to LH drive? just kidding...

Seems like you should have a ton of room on the left side then?
Can you install the alternator on the RH side and the A/C compressor on the left?
Other than having to get creative with the hose routing, that may be your best bet.
It's hard to tell in the pictures but is the evaporator case also on the right side?!
No go there mate. Everything in the engine bay apart from the steering is how it was when it was left hand drive. AC airbox is still on the right side. Brake booster is on the left so yes the left side of the engine has miles of space, right said is very tight. there is no point in swapping alt and AC accessories around( way too much effort and ugly). I guess im back to using the R4 compressor (new one) and finding a parallel cross flow condenser but even then i dont feel its the greatest set up.

Oh and now that the car is 30 years old i can go back to left hand drive haha but thats not going to happen either .

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 02-06-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
No go there mate. Everything in the engine bay apart from the steering is how it was when it was left hand drive. AC airbox is still on the right side. Brake booster is on the left so yes the left side of the engine has miles of space, right said is very tight. there is no point in swapping alt and AC accessories around( way too much effort and ugly). I guess im back to using the R4 compressor (new one) and finding a parallel cross flow condenser but even then i dont feel its the greatest set up.

Oh and now that the car is 30 years old i can go back to left hand drive haha but thats not going to happen either .
I'd love to see how they route the brake and clutch linkage (if it's a stick) for RHD- The throttle cable must be a mile long too?

Sounds like you're kinda stuck-
Have you searched around to see if anyone sells a NEW vs rebuilt R-4 compressor?
Rebuilt units are a crap-shoot at best.
Elm
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
BHRIG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a web site for new or rebuilt compressors......

discountacparts.com.

I purchased a NEW compressor for my 77 from them, great service and

FREE shipping.

Contact them, I'm positive you will find what you need!!!

Good Luck
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Gingerbread..

Are you replacing the drier, orifice and flushing when you replace the compressor? Usually when you have repeated compressor failures it is due to contaminants or debris in the system. IMHO,

Willcox
Old 02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Gingerbread..

Are you replacing the drier, orifice and flushing when you replace the compressor? Usually when you have repeated compressor failures it is due to contaminants or debris in the system. IMHO,

Willcox

also I've messed around with the Hydrocarbon refrigerants and they work very well. With the R12a refrigerant I was able to achieve the coldest vent temps and faster cool down than with R134A. This was with a 96 K1500 chevy with R134A factory fill. I'll say that the system worked very well before filling with R12a.

If the system is in good shape and working correctly the R4 comp should last. I agree with Mr Willcox that the system needs to be very clean as in remove all the AC components and flush them with the correct AC flush and than re-install with the correct amount of oil added to each component.

R134a will produce low 40 to high 30 degree temps if all of the components of the system are working correctly.

If you use your original condenser you need to make sure to maximize the air flow through the condenser. If you have electric fans make sure they run when the AC is turned on (100% of the time). Make sure the radiator seals are in tact and their is no air bypassing the condenser.

The two issues that will kill the compressor will be excessive head pressure and contaminate in the system. If the system was not cleaned correctly (remove all components and flush) after the first failure than this is more than likely the cause of the continued failures.

Hope this helps

Neal
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Gingerbread..

Willcox
Sure do and even got another drier ready to go for next time. From what im reading plenty are having repeat failures doing the same . An engine spinning to 6000 might not be helping my problem either.

Get notified of new replies

To has anyones r4 compressor lasted more than 2 years?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

How much oil and what kind, do you have in the system ? I've seen lots of compressor boxes state "has oil", but when you remove the shipping plugs and turn it upside down, only enough oil for assembly comes out. Next compressor, pour out and measure the oil, add the correct amount in the compressor, turn the compressor by hand, clutch side down, about ten times. Flush the system with an ac flush and shop air (all lines to evap, accumulator etc open), reassemble, put 2 oz oil in accum, 2-3 oz in condensor, all new o rings, correct amount of oil in compressor,suck in down with a vacuum pump for one hour, recharge and enjoy. I did this last summer on my "new to me"F150, took most of the day. Spend the time,effort and money, and do it once...

Last edited by centralcalvette; 02-07-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by centralcalvette
How much oil and what kind, do you have in the system ? I've seen lots of compressor boxes state "has oil", but when you remove the shipping plugs and turn it upside down, only enough oil for assembly comes out. Next compressor, pour out and measure the oil, add the correct amount in the compressor, turn the compressor by hand, clutch side down, about ten times. Flush the system with an ac flush and shop air (all lines to evap, accumulator etc open), reassemble, put 2 oz oil in accum, 2-3 oz in condensor, all new o rings, correct amount of oil in compressor,suck in down with a vacuum pump for one hour, recharge and enjoy. I did this last summer on my "new to me"F150, took most of the day. Spend the time,effort and money, and do it once...
Will do buddy. 3rd time lucky hopefully. Do you know how much oil should be in the compressor?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The only way to properly oil the system is to flush every component and then fill to total system specs.
Other methods are just guesswork

BTW, your failures are classic debris related.

Quick Reply: has anyones r4 compressor lasted more than 2 years?