C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing out turn signal lever

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM
VetteMayer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out turn signal lever

Okay, so I bought a '79 Vette and the works begins now. The lever for directionals and the high beams doesn't seem to be working since I don't have turn signals or high beams. Initially the high beam worked but then the lever wouldn't click into position. The turn signals also failed at about the same time. Hazards are also not working. Looked over the fuses and they look fine. So that leads me to the what's going on in the steering column. I've seen a couple of posts online for pulling this thing apart and I'm wondering if it's really a job for a novice. Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Does the turn signature lever "click" normally, or does it spin in the pivot hole?

Turn signals not working could be the switch, bulbs out, fuse (did you do a continuity test?), or flasher. I'd check bulbs, fuse, and flasher before tearing the column down to replace the switch.

The high beams are a different switch, and it could be that the switch has failed or was poorly adjusted.

Go to corvettefaq . com and look up Jim Shea's papers for an idea how this all works.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the connectors on the column.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,333 Posts

It sounds like it might be a bad turn signal switch to me.

There were 2 different turn signal switches used in 79. One was used in all 79's with the standard straight column, as well as early 79's, with a tilt/tele column. The other switch was used in later 79's equipped with a T&T column. If you have a tilt column, you can identify which switch you need, by the turn signal stalk. If you have a bent turn signal stalk, you have the early 79 style switch. If your stalk is straight, you need the later, or second design switch.

It's not a terrible job to change the switch, but it is a little easier, if you don't have tilt. The Corvette shop manual gives step by step instructions, on how to replace the switch.

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
The high beams are a different switch, and it could be that the switch has failed or was poorly adjusted.
The dimmer switch is incorporated into the turn signal switch, on the OP's 79. 76 was the last year that Corvettes used a floor mounted dimmer switch.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The dimmer switch is incorporated into the turn signal switch, on the OP's 79. 76 was the last year that Corvettes used a floor mounted dimmer switch.
The dimmer switch is not incorporated in the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch manages... the turn signals. I'm speaking from 14 years of owning a 78 and also... well, info to follow.

The dimmer switch is on the column and actuated by a rod when you pull back(towards the driver) on the turn signal lever.

I just did this job last year. It sucked. Take the column out of the car if you're going to do it. It is NOT fun to do in the car. I think I may have shed a few tears in the process...

If you look at this photo, you'll see the pivot (aluminum, retained with roll pin) and the black plastic part of the pivot. When you pull back on the pivot it pushes the yellow piece in and actuates the dimmer switch. Turn signal switch has already been removed and is covering this mechanism. To get the switch out you either have to cut the wires in the column or disconnect them from the harmonica.

To do this job, you'll need a turn signal switch and a plastic lock plate retainer ring.

I got my parts from Willcox, and Willcox has a good walkthrough on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
VetteMayer
Heel & Toe

Yea, the pivot or at least the sitting of the lever in the pivot is an issue I need to tackle. The turn signal switch is bad and needs replaced but I also will need to deal with the pivot. Obviously it isn't part of the whole turn signal switch so...going to get parts and whatnot today to see what I can do about this.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
VetteMayer
Heel & Toe

The high beams worked initially now it doesn't click backward to tien them on which is obviously the pivot. Turn signals move up and down but no longer turn on the signals. Hazards never worked. Got what I need to work on our now just need to get time.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Let's take things one at a time. First of all, I think that you have a tilt & telescoping steering column. By 1979 I am quite sure that T&T columns were standard by that time.

Your turn signal lever plugs into a part of the T&T column called a dimmer pivot. When you pull the turn signal lever toward you, that mechanism pivots and depresses a rod that reaches down and actuates the dimmer switch on the side of the steering column, (down under the dash.) When you pull on the TS switch lever, you should hear and feel a sharp click as the dimmer switch changes from high to low to high beams. There is a slight amount of adjustment of the dimmer switch available where it attaches to the same stud that holds the ignition switch. Be careful, you don't want to disturb the ignition switch adjustment.

Now that same dimmer pivot connects to a crossover arm that is attached to your turn signal switch by a single screw. It is possible that the screw is loose or missing.
There should not be a difference in the turn signal switch with straight versus bent turn signal levers. There are different pivots that dictate a straight versus bent lever.

This is sort of a busy picture. But at the lower position you should see the turn signal levers. The one on the left is attached to a dimmer pivot with a 21 degree 30 minute angle. The one on the right is at a 46 degree 30 minute angle. The first one would take a bent lever, the second would accept a straight lever.
Jim
Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM
VetteMayer
Heel & Toe

Jim,
I have an early model '79 and it doesn't have the telescopic steering wheel but I don't believe that will make a difference as far as what needs to be done. In fact, I believe the telescopic steering wheel is actually harder to deal with than the tilt only wheels.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteMayer
Jim,
I have an early model '79 and it doesn't have the telescopic steering wheel but I don't believe that will make a difference as far as what needs to be done. In fact, I believe the telescopic steering wheel is actually harder to deal with than the tilt only wheels.
There were 2 columns:
* Tilt & Tele
* Non-tilt, non-tele

When I first had my 78 I used to think it was tilt-only as well. There's a locking ring just behind the horn cap, move it to the left. Telescoping wheel.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry that I jumped to a conclusion on your steering column being a T&T. FYI, Corvettes never had a tilt column only. It was either a telescoping only column or a non-adjustable type from 1965 through 1968. And it was a Tilt & Telescoping type or the non-adjustable type from 1969 through 1979. It has been the T&T type ever since.

The standard non-adjustable steering column in your 1979 Vette also has a crossover arm that reaches from the dimmer pivot to the turn signal switch. It is not the same arm as the T&T type. So you still could have a problem with the connection of the arm to the TS switch.
Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

For what ever it is worth way back when I figured out that the 1981 Turn signal stalk could replace the original in my 1980. This was long before the internet. Anyway, by doing so the Cruse Control gets the resume feture, with no other Mods. It would probably work on at least the late 79 stalk.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
VetteMayer
Heel & Toe

Lol okay so it is telescopic! I love this forum, I'm learning so much ha ha ha! Tomorrow I'm going to start working on the switch. I will keep everyone posted as I'm sure I will have questions.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
masrik
Intermediate

You didnt keep us posted ...
I need to do this now ... Pics would help !
Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Signal lever question

Originally Posted by masrik
You didnt keep us posted ...
I need to do this now ... Pics would help !
I just got a 79 with tilt T&T and the turn signal lever spins around in the column. what do I need to replace to have the lever stay in the correct position, it has a 30 degree bent to clear your legs,. thanks, AL.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 PM
IDOXLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Dimmer Pivot

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
I just got a 79 with tilt T&T and the turn signal lever spins around in the column. what do I need to replace to have the lever stay in the correct position, it has a 30 degree bent to clear your legs,. thanks, AL.
Okay, figured it out anyone needs information I have it.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a 78 with tilt/telescopic wheel. My turn signal arm broke off at the end. So it still works fine, been like this for months. I was under the impression that I had to take the steering wheel apart, so I haven't done all that. I've been doing some reading that maybe I can remove and replace this turn signal arm? If that's true can someone give me a little guidance? Thank you, Merry Christmas guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing out turn signal lever

Old 12-25-2018, 11:10 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug1
Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a 78 with tilt/telescopic wheel. My turn signal arm broke off at the end. So it still works fine, been like this for months. I was under the impression that I had to take the steering wheel apart, so I haven't done all that. I've been doing some reading that maybe I can remove and replace this turn signal arm? If that's true can someone give me a little guidance? Thank you, Merry Christmas guys.
I believe if you can grip the end it just pulls out. It is held in by a spring clip. At least it is that way on my 78 w/ TT & Cruise
The following users liked this post:
Doug1 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LenWoodruff
I believe if you can grip the end it just pulls out. It is held in by a spring clip. At least it is that way on my 78 w/ TT & Cruise
I just went and fiddled with it, everything looks original, afraid I'm gonna break something. Gonna just leave it alone, it works.
Thank you though.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Lisa Lastname
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
Originally Posted by IDOXLR8 View Post

Oh how I wish you would have posted your fix!
My turn signal lever spins in the column too - 1981 T&T corvette. What was the fix?
I am at corvette1981@yahoo.com
Thank you so much!

Quick Reply: Changing out turn signal lever