C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to pay for a '68 rag top???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 12:56 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How much to pay for a '68 rag top???

I found a '68 rag top 427 that has been totally restored mechanically; (frame-on) and looks great! This car has new paint and interior and lots of new parts!!! One problem is that the numbers don't match, but I really am not too concerned about having a numbers matching car; (i want a week-end driver that I don't mind hot-rodding a little). The other problem is the price of $30,000. The seller stated that he has over $35,000 into the car and won't settle for anything less. I realize that any shark year big-block with a rag-top will command $15,000 even if it's a basket case. Is this price too high? it seems that all the similar cars that have had a frame-off restoration command $35,000 as a minimum. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 06-14-2002, 01:00 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: How much to pay for a '68 rag top??? (BlackRocket)

I found a '68 rag top 427 that has been totally restored mechanically; (frame-on) and looks great! This car has new paint and interior and lots of new parts!!! One problem is that the numbers don't match, but I really am not too concerned about having a numbers matching car; (i want a week-end driver that I don't mind hot-rodding a little). The other problem is the price of $30,000. The seller stated that he has over $35,000 into the car and won't settle for anything less. I realize that any shark year big-block with a rag-top will command $15,000 even if it's a basket case. Is this price too high? it seems that all the similar cars that have had a frame-off restoration command $35,000 as a minimum. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...
I personally wouldn't pay more than $20k for a non-matching numbers big block car! Look what kind of car Maurice got for even less!!!!!

:cheers:

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 12:59 AM 6/16/2002]
Old 06-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Hoof Hearted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one is a 69 but looks like a GREAT deal if you are really in the market.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=321150
Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 AM
69toy4me
Advanced

While we all have and will voice our opinions in our own "cute" ways, mine is that it may be on the high side, but how much will it cost you to take a nice car (20grand+) and change it to something that you are happy with. So with that said, if the car is what YOU want and you won't have to spend additional funds to make grand changes, then this may be the car that you are looking for. If #'s don't matter to you, make sure the car everything that YOU want. Good luck in your decision. :cheers: :D
Old 06-14-2002, 01:16 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: How much to pay for a '68 rag top??? (GrandSportC3)

Sounds way too high to me. (and I have one). What engine does he have in it? Is the car anywhere near as nice as this one?
http://www.contes.com/68blu.htm

(Mine is same color, but L-36 engine, and frankly.... mine is nice but from the pics I dont think as nice as this one! )

I think that is a #s matching 435 hp car. The tripower 427s command quite a premium over the L36 427.

Too bad he has so much in it! Where did all the money go?? :) MJ

It is fine that numbers don't matter to you, but the fact is they matter to market value. So you should be able to get more car for your money if numbers dont matter to you. You should also be able to get more car for your money with a 68. (I think this is still true). All else being equal (except age :) ) , a 68 will be a lower market price than a 69-72.

[Modified by MNJack, 12:27 AM 6/14/2002]
Old 06-14-2002, 02:05 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's too much, IMHO, but it's your call. Maybe a documented, original car, but even 3x2 without matching numbers (and that would need support), in REALLY good shape would be right there.

I've said it before - these prices are driven by the willingness of buyers to pay .....

Hans
Old 06-14-2002, 03:59 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too much money for that car......NOM takes away alot. For $30k,
I would expect a low mileage 427/435 matching numbers car. Keep looking good buys are out there. IMHO :chevy
Old 06-14-2002, 03:57 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone else have an opinion on this??? As much input and advice as possible would be appreciated!!! :)
Old 06-14-2002, 04:15 PM
woodenichols
Racer

I'm not sure if it is worth it or not, but I can tell you it is real easy to get a whole lot of money wrapped up in one. I'm getting close to 20K in mine and I'm still not through! Just depends on what all has been done to it and what you want out of it! I'm not selling for any price! :cheers:

Steve
Old 06-14-2002, 04:34 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I just want to come back to one thing you wrote:

The seller stated that he has over $35,000 into the car and won't settle for anything less.
All this tells me is the seller is not motivated. It is very easy to have way more into a car than it is worth. A more typical situation, and you see this in ads all the time, is something like: "Have $40k in restoration receipts, asking $20k or best offer"

Hot Rod magazine had an article this past year about a car with over $160k of documented restoration/improvements that looked not escpecially fantastic. I think the article was titled something like, "Where did all the money go?" MJ
Old 06-14-2002, 04:35 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What he's got into is really his problem. I've got way more invested in my car than I'll ever hope to get out of it. Offer him $23-24 and see what he says. It might take a while for him to get desparate but eventually he'll get discouraged and drop his price down from $30K. It would have to be a matching numbers perfect car to command that kind of money.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Blues Mobile
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much to pay for a '68 rag top??? (midget)

Midget is right- This is way too much for a non-number matching car.

It's sometimes hard to negotiate with folks who think that they can sell it for the same amount of money the put into it - but unless an uninformed buyer gives him his asking price, he will figure it out sooner or later.

-70Shark
Old 06-14-2002, 05:46 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: How much to pay for a '68 rag top??? (70Shark)

Midget is right- This is way too much for a non-number matching car.

It's sometimes hard to negotiate with folks who think that they can sell it for the same amount of money the put into it - but unless an uninformed buyer gives him his asking price, he will figure it out sooner or later.

-70Shark
I'm WIth these guys on this one.. Some people just don;t understand that a car is NOT an investment when it needs alot of work done. Unless it is SUPER RARE He is asking too much for a NOM car. Don;t bother.. keep your eyes on the forum and let people know you're looking.. And guranteed someone will run across your dream car for around your price eventually. :D
Old 06-15-2002, 12:08 AM
hudman
Racer

BlackRocket-

Be patient and keep looking.

What you described as your objective was exactly what I wanted. An original car in appearance, but not necessarily a numbers matching car. I wanted a car that looked original and a car that was in good shape (ie no major mechanical probs). Yet, it had to be a car that I did not have a problem driving often (and driving hard on occasion). It had to be a big block and had to be a roadster. I did not want to pay for a numbers matching car. Also, I was definitely not interested in any aftermarket hoods, rims, etc. An original appearance was key. I

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are getting the worst of both worlds. A perfectly restored car that you will feel guilty about driving or leaving in the rain, and a non matching numbers engine to boot. My research has shown that the car is worth $20K max. (and it would have to be a fine example to command that price).

I patiently looked for some time and just a few weeks ago purchased the perfect car for my needs. The car is a '68 vert, but has a '67 427 in it. The engine compartment is 100% correct accept for high performance plug wires, replacement Edelbrock Qjet, and a replacement radiator. Paint and glass is great (paint is just a few years olds-has 2-3 nicks that need touching up). Interior is new (within a few years)-seat covers, carpet, door panels, etc. Top is great (few years old as well). Car has a hardtop that needs a little work (headliner is warped), but looks fine from the outside. Rims and chrome are perfect. You get the picture. An awesome looking and running car that I paid a fair amount less than $20K for.

I am sure that the car you are looking at is a great car. It is just overpriced for a non original car. The owner that actually does the restoration (unless they do the work themselves) often lose money. Like the post above indicates, $35K in receipts, $20K. You see it all the time.

Dont feel like you need to bail him out of his predicament.

Bottom line-if you want the car buy it. However, my investment criteria included me being able to at least sell the car without too much of a loss if I had to. If you buy that car, the seller will be OK, but you will take a bath in the end.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2002, 05:06 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i'm always curious what these people mean when they say "$30k in it". from what i've seen of some of these cars, the owners are counting five years of gas and insurance against that $30k :rolleyes: geez, that way i could say my car has over $8k in it so i should be able to sell it for, like, 15 grand, right? :lol: just makes me wonder why someone would 'invest' $30k into a car that doesn't have matching numbers :confused: kind of like spending a months salary to frame a copy of the mona lisa :jester
Old 06-16-2002, 01:31 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

As an owner of a '68 BB rag top with matching #'s that's in excellent condition, I wouldn't pay $30K for the one you described. There'd have to be a whole lot of other things going for it to overcome the NOM qualifier. It's your money, though, so spend it on whatever make's you happy.

Get notified of new replies

To How much to pay for a '68 rag top???

Quick Reply: How much to pay for a '68 rag top???