C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try HHO, Water plus Baking Soda=Hydrogen Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Try HHO, Water plus Baking Soda=Hydrogen Gas

I've installed an HHO system on my 1969 427/435 4 speed. Essentially it's a "Brown's Gas" setup that makes hydrogen gas which either goes into the carbs at idle or the intake manifold at cruising. The hydrogen is made by mixing baking soda with distilled water and putting an electrical charge on it. I've been running this setup for over four years and average 16-17 mpg general driving. The car used to get 10 mpg or worse. I'm also able to run very nicely on regular unleaded gas. I heard about this one night while listening to talk radio. Some guys from "Water4Gas" were and it sounded too good to be true. I bought a kit on ebay for under $100 and hooked it up. It took less than an hour and as soon as I fired up the engine, it ran smoother and you could feel the additional power. My particular car takes 3/4 teaspoon baking soda to one mason's jar of distilled water. I've got a two jar kit. Every three to six months, I have to clean the jars and replace the water and baking soda. I'm on my second set of "coils". I wish the car would get 30 mpg but frankly 16-17 mpg is better than it was before. The car will ping a bit under a load in fourth gear going up a hill and even if I use super, it still does. It did ping before the HHO using only super and it pinged more then than it does now. Do a search on youtube for "HHO" or "water4gas" or "Brown's gas" and see what these guys have done. It really does work. You can go to my account and look at my recent post by "fontking1a". It's called ...."I'm Back". There are pictures of the car with the HHO installed.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a miracle! Somebody call the Pope, quick.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Lookie there we have ourselves a "Green" big block .. But do you really think your making enough hydrogen from that mix to affect anything ? I doubt it 100% ,, you can never ever ever ever get more energy out then you put into making it unless you invent fusion drive making all you posted pure hype.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Uhh no

If you believe in this system, you are an idiot. Sorry, I cannot euphemize this one for you. You are an idiot. You are a monkey that's learned how to use a keyboard. You occasionally forget to breath. You wear a bib to catch the drool.

You're a moron.

The electrical energy you're using to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas is MORE THAN the energy released when you put them back together. This is how the world works. Everytime energy changes forms, you lose some of it. Nothing is free. The effective efficiency of Bubba's mason jar electrolysis will probably be 50-60% at best.

Physics courses are not required to receive a high school diploma in most American schools. I take issue with that.

Last edited by wcsinx; 02-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Young lady, on this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga
Young lady, on this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
Nah, silly book-learnins egghedz dunt know nuthin'. Me'n Zeek n Bubba bilt this here mason jar systim that gits you round'n'bout TWO HUNNERD miles to a gallon 'o shine.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I came across this test. Let us know how you make out.

If you're someone who's certain that you're getting improved mileage from your HHO system, here's an experiment for you to try...

First, make sure you can turn your electrolysis cell off and on while driving.

Now with the cell turned off, drive at a constant 60mph for a minute or two, so that the engine reaches a steady temperature. Don't use cruise-control, just use your foot to position the gas-pedal so your speed remains constant.

Without moving your foot (the one on the gas pedal), turn on your electrolysis cell.

Now if all the claims for HHO are true, your engine will be developing 20%-30% *more* power than it did with the electrolysis cell turned off -- so you should notice your speed increase to around 70-75mph as the HHO gas starts flowing.

If you don't get this increase, then it's *not* working.

Or you could do this the other way...

Ensure your electrolysis cell is energized and drive along at a steady 60mph.

Now turn off the cell without moving the gas pedal up or down.

Your engine's power should drop noticeably -- since the combustion efficiency will now be much lower than before. This means your car should slow down quite noticeably -- perhaps to as little as 45mph.

Here's a question -- does your engine's idle increase by 40% as the HHO gas starts being generated after you start it? If not -- why not?

If the fuel is burnt 40% more efficiently then the amount of fuel that produces an idle of (say) 1,000 RPMs should produce an idle of 1,400 RPMs when the gas kicks in. If it doesn't then there's your proof that this system doesn't work.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

To prove or disprove your system, run it out of fuel, try running it solely on hydrogen, disconect the fue pump. I do know that you can make hydrogen this way, but dont beleave enough to have any effect on mpg. For better mpg you should off set your fuel economy wyith a scooter.t
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
70GreenonGreen
Navigator

Not to play devils advocate here.....BUT,

We have installed a system on large OTR trucks and done MANY MANY miles of documented testing. Same trucks, same drivers.....on existing trucks.

City mileage increase was negligible but average OTR mileage did INCREASE 8-10% consistently.

It is all about proper sizing ans use.

FLAME ON!

LOL
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 70GreenonGreen
Not to play devils advocate here.....BUT,

We have installed a system on large OTR trucks and done MANY MANY miles of documented testing. Same trucks, same drivers.....on existing trucks.

City mileage increase was negligible but average OTR mileage did INCREASE 8-10% consistently.

It is all about proper sizing ans use.

FLAME ON!

LOL
Suggest to your boss that nitrogen be used in the tires instead of air. That'll get you another 8-10% at least.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Uhh no

If you believe in this system, you are an idiot. Sorry, I cannot euphemize this one for you. You are an idiot. You are a monkey that's learned how to use a keyboard. You occasionally forget to learn to breath. You wear a bib to catch the drool.

You're a moron.

The electrical energy you're using to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas is MORE THAN the energy released when you put them back together. This is how the world works. Everytime energy changes forms, you lose some of it. Nothing is free. The effective efficiency of Bubba's mason jar electrolysis will probably be 50-60% at best.

Physics courses are not required to receive a high school diploma in most American schools. I take issue with that.
This response is nasty enough for OT... yet completely appropriate.

It is possibly to release more energy from this sort of concept than just that which is input from the electrical power based on energy released from a chemical reaction, but that doesn't apply in this case. The baking soda essentially is the salt of an electrolyte solution.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by fontking1a
I've installed an HHO system on my 1969 427/435 4 speed. Essentially it's a "Brown's Gas" setup that makes hydrogen gas which either goes into the carbs at idle or the intake manifold at cruising. The hydrogen is made by mixing baking soda with distilled water and putting an electrical charge on it. I've been running this setup for over four years and average 16-17 mpg general driving. The car used to get 10 mpg or worse. I'm also able to run very nicely on regular unleaded gas. I heard about this one night while listening to talk radio. Some guys from "Water4Gas" were and it sounded too good to be true. I bought a kit on ebay for under $100 and hooked it up. It took less than an hour and as soon as I fired up the engine, it ran smoother and you could feel the additional power. My particular car takes 3/4 teaspoon baking soda to one mason's jar of distilled water. I've got a two jar kit. Every three to six months, I have to clean the jars and replace the water and baking soda. I'm on my second set of "coils". I wish the car would get 30 mpg but frankly 16-17 mpg is better than it was before. The car will ping a bit under a load in fourth gear going up a hill and even if I use super, it still does. It did ping before the HHO using only super and it pinged more then than it does now. Do a search on youtube for "HHO" or "water4gas" or "Brown's gas" and see what these guys have done. It really does work. You can go to my account and look at my recent post by "fontking1a". It's called ...."I'm Back". There are pictures of the car with the HHO installed.
This scheme to separate you from your cash has been around for a few decades now.

If it works so good how come California hasn't voted this hocus pocus into state law for all emission producing motors?

Water4gas is the scientology of engineering/physics....
Sorry if that insults any scientologist.

Doesn't this belong back in "off topic" under politics or something?

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 02-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
1955pirate
Racer

Default squirrels

I tried HHO but it did not perform very well. I changed over to two squirrels in a wire wheel. I do not run them all the time...only when I need a little extra power. They kick in when I hit the switch that charges the wheel with a light electrical impulse. They do require high octane peanuts and you do have to clean the wire cage wheel a couple times a week. Patent pending.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 81 gets 18 mpg, and I dont have to stop at the baking soda store...................................
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Wikepedia has an article on Oxyhydrogen("Brown's Gas") that may help explain "the something for nothing" aspect of this theory, which has been around since the 1800's....
Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I produce my own brown gas, the quantity depending on how much beer I drink and beans I eat. Some of them smell like they've been brewing since about 1800.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Its not some thing for nothing, we made hydogen this way in high schooln but used an arc welder for the current, it made hydrogen alright but the rate with a welder was slow enough that it would take a day to build enough to go a mile, then you would still have to compress it and store it for it to work as a fiable source.

Get notified of new replies

To Try HHO, Water plus Baking Soda=Hydrogen Gas

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Wait just a minute now! Are you guys suggesting that someone on "talk radio" was full of BS ?!?! That is just un-American.

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/07/18...er4gas-system/

Last edited by johnt365; 02-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
70GreenonGreen
Navigator

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Suggest to your boss that nitrogen be used in the tires instead of air. That'll get you another 8-10% at least.
I don't know why some people on here choose to be complete douche bags. But apparently, they are insecure about the size of their penises..... anyway. I do not have a boss. Haven't since I was 20....and that was 10's of millions of dollars worth of business and 15 years ago. It was a project for some associates of mine that have over 2000 trucks on the road. Soooooo, before you "try" to act like you are intelligent. Maybe you should think a little bit about what you say.

Andy
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 255 Posts

Just ignore Mike....He's a total A$$

Quick Reply: Try HHO, Water plus Baking Soda=Hydrogen Gas