C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Strut Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Mario Barrios
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustable Strut Rods?

I'm gonna rebuild my rear suspension. Any opinions on the adjustable strut rods? Seems like a good idea but adds a hundred bucks to the budget. I figure it will pay off in saving tire wear.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

They're no more adjustable than stock rods, why bother?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Mario Barrios
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I thought they were better

Yes...when I read the catalog, they say the adjustable ones enable a more accurate camber adjustment...I'm gonna change all my bushings and thought this would be an easy thing at this point. If there is no benefit, I'd rather use the hundred bucks to take the wife out for being really nice about my corvette hobby....or to buy more corvette stuff!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mario Barrios
Any opinions on the adjustable strut rods?
You don't need them. Valentine's Day is coming up. Spend the strut rod money on your wife.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The nice thing about adjustable Heim joint strut rods, The camber bolts never come loose. But; the draw back is the money. Take your wife out on Valentine Day & buy the Heim joint strut rods next Mo. No You don't need them, unless you are racing, in most cases, but; it's just another extra of life. But yes Love that Wife, it cost a lot to mistreat her. Have a great day. Gene
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
bpassmore
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You don't need them. Valentine's Day is coming up. Spend the strut rod money on your wife.

100%, Spend it where your support is.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd recommend them mate, very tough and they make camber adjustment very easy

The inner links are mounted lower for better geometry too.

Depends what you're after? Mine's a pro tourer.

Note - Diff has been raised 3/4" in the pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There's a need to adjust camber maybe once in 10-15-20K miles which represents many years of driving in most cases.

The struts make no difference to geometry, the bracket does. The OP made no mention of buying a new bracket.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
There's a need to adjust camber maybe once in 10-15-20K miles which represents many years of driving in most cases.

The struts make no difference to geometry, the bracket does. The OP made no mention of buying a new bracket.
Oooh ok, I bought smart struts as the kit with the bracket , my bad, I forgot you can buy them separately.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Yes Sir; I took the bracket off both my Vettes, & welded the existing factory bracket down the sides as my instructions told me to do. I guess they do this to keep it from tearing off the main bracket. Have a great one. Gene
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Competition adjustable strut rods with heim joints-no bushings, offer advantages over the OEM strut:

1. They have a solid mounting point that eliminates the OEM camber bolt system that WILL go out of alignment.
2. The competition strut-not a replacement adjustable strut (although they seem beefier) will not flex under load changes like the OEM struts.
3. Eliminating the strut bushings both rubber and poly with heim joints does not allow the strut itself to flex (at the ends where the bushings would be) allowing more consistent camber throughout the rear tire's movement.
4. Competition struts for the various reasons above actually improve the ride and provides much more predictable rear suspension handling.

One of the best changes I made to the rear of my 78's suspension. One of the problems with the C3's suspension both front and rear is that as designed, the rubber bushings allow too much movement in the suspension contributing to sloppy handling and steering response, amongst other issues. Do it AFTER Valentine's Day!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

My Wife bought me a Spreader Bar set-up for my front suspension a couple of years ago, for my birthday, that was the most noticed change that I ever did. Have a great one. Gene Thanks for the info. jb78L-82
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mario Barrios
I'm gonna rebuild my rear suspension. Any opinions on the adjustable strut rods? Seems like a good idea but adds a hundred bucks to the budget. I figure it will pay off in saving tire wear.
I installed the VB&P 'smart struts' with poly bushings. Jam nuts and a wrench on the tube make adjustments easier (IMO) than having to work with the stockers.

And, they look a lot more TRICK than OEM

When I replaced the front suspension with a new rubber set (also VB&P), I went with the same style on my tie rods.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Yes Sir; In an earlier Thread, the poly adjustable strut rods were found to flex so much that they were coming loose at the jam nuts from the twisting of the rear end under a load. I installed these on an earlier project & they did come loose, I bought four Star flat lock washers & installed them at each lock nut. Others said they used Lock tight on the threads. Have not driven far enough to find if either was the fix on the Jam lock nuts from coming loose. Have a great one. Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable Strut Rods?

Quick Reply: Adjustable Strut Rods?