C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidepipes or not to Sidepipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you see first? Not the tarps, not the missing vent panel, not the assorted junk...its the side pipes.

Im running a set of Heddman side exhaust headers and a set of cheap Patriot exhaust. (Summit) Its been a MAJOR PITA to hook it all up. I had to drill a few holes in my frame and seriously modify the hanging brackets, but Im happy with the way they look. My setup is pretty bubba-tastic...but its done cheaply. If you have deeper pockets, you will get even better results.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Oh you've got to get the side pipes!! Highly recommend the STS baffles. Also would suggest getting the Headers from Jet Hot to get them ceramic coated inside and out. A bit more expensive but really reduces under hood temps and still looks good.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
I think sidepipes look good ONLY on cars with chrome bumpers
that's a bold opinion

Personally I love the look

about burning.... with reversion mufflers the pipes get up to 130-145*. Alternatively, you can wrap the muffler with header wrap before you put them inside your pipes.... I'll get you a temp on that once I finish that install (I don't like the hp loss of the reversion mufflers).

Also, it depends on the coating, I have ceramic, rough coat titanium coating and it just doesn't ever get that hot (okay, with no mufflers it was in the 300-400 degree range.... but that's not something you'll be daily driving unless you wish for deafness or you're already deaf)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 AM
JYD
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, all these vette's with sidepipes look cool !So I guess sidepipes it is !
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Side Pipes Rock

Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I would find out who lives fairly close to you that has side pipes on their C3, ask to go over and if possible be taken for a long ride. This way you can judge with both your eyes and ears. Might have to wait until spring though.
Had the '69 style on mine for 2 weeks, loved the look but with my newly built 383 at the time I had this horrible hollow drone btn 50 and 70 mph, right where most cruising takes place. They were also really loud, my neighbours could hear me coming from over 1 mile away
As with so many other decisions we make with our vettes, this is another fun one and not all that expensive.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JYD
Damn, all these vette's with sidepipes look cool !So I guess sidepipes it is !
you won't regret it
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

In all honesty, "loudness" is a matter of tolerance.

My next door neighbor had numerous different cars, all of which were "loud".

His '07 Z06 had Billy Boat exhausts on it which were pretty loud, but had an AWFUL drone at ~2,000 RPM. Simply unbearable inside the car. Inside the car, they were comperable to my sidepipes, but the DRONE...awful.

His '08 GT500 also had Billy Boat's, but that one was almost tame by comparison. Not sure. Fun to drive and didn't wake everyone up.

On his '05 Mustang GT, he decided to run straight pipes which were HORRIBLY loud. I never drove that car, but I know I could hear it, literally, miles away. It didn't help that he seemed to cruise at redline. Thankfully, that engine ate itself in the subdivision and the car burned to the ground.

BECAUSE of the horribly insensitive neighbor, I was in the crosshairs of every person in the neighborhood that didn't understand that I WAS NOT the person doing 70 MPH down our streets. Our driveways are 500+ feet long, you just heard a sound. As soon as I got my 1970 on the road, I started getting stopped by people walking their dogs, telling me that they were going to call the cops, what an ***hole I was, and all these other horrible things. Guilty by association. I almost put a sticker on the back window that read "It Isn't Me".

I am careful in my neighborhood to not rev the engine and to practically idle to my house. Probably overkill, but I get smiles now, not stares. Honestly, you do need to be a little more sensitive to neighbors and others with sidepipes, but there are definitely worse ways to go. I've heard several 'louder' muffler cars, is all I'm saying.

As far as sidepipes creating a drone, I have not yet experienced that. I have no idea what my inserts are, but I'm probably going to install STS inserts into new sidetubes when I'm done with my engine. My stuff is all rusted out from the previous owner.

Be courteous and nobody will give you grief. Unless they're really, really old. Old people seem to give everyone grief.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by keithinspace
In all honesty, "loudness" is a matter of tolerance.

My next door neighbor had numerous different cars, all of which were "loud".

His '07 Z06 had Billy Boat exhausts on it which were pretty loud, but had an AWFUL drone at ~2,000 RPM. Simply unbearable inside the car. Inside the car, they were comperable to my sidepipes, but the DRONE...awful.

His '08 GT500 also had Billy Boat's, but that one was almost tame by comparison. Not sure. Fun to drive and didn't wake everyone up.

On his '05 Mustang GT, he decided to run straight pipes which were HORRIBLY loud. I never drove that car, but I know I could hear it, literally, miles away. It didn't help that he seemed to cruise at redline. Thankfully, that engine ate itself in the subdivision and the car burned to the ground.

BECAUSE of the horribly insensitive neighbor, I was in the crosshairs of every person in the neighborhood that didn't understand that I WAS NOT the person doing 70 MPH down our streets. Our driveways are 500+ feet long, you just heard a sound. As soon as I got my 1970 on the road, I started getting stopped by people walking their dogs, telling me that they were going to call the cops, what an ***hole I was, and all these other horrible things. Guilty by association. I almost put a sticker on the back window that read "It Isn't Me".

I am careful in my neighborhood to not rev the engine and to practically idle to my house. Probably overkill, but I get smiles now, not stares. Honestly, you do need to be a little more sensitive to neighbors and others with sidepipes, but there are definitely worse ways to go. I've heard several 'louder' muffler cars, is all I'm saying.

As far as sidepipes creating a drone, I have not yet experienced that. I have no idea what my inserts are, but I'm probably going to install STS inserts into new sidetubes when I'm done with my engine. My stuff is all rusted out from the previous owner.

Be courteous and nobody will give you grief. Unless they're really, really old. Old people seem to give everyone grief.
lol.... I know this story. In a prior neighborhood I got the same kind of grief... so I completely uncorked the sidepipes, might as well do the crime I'm accused of

it's loud enough if you can't hear them
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Put one in my 77 also. I like the sleeper look, straight out the back. Lets see some pics!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

yes, yes, and yes - add them. You just made it a bad-a$$ car by dropping a 427 into it .... don't stop there. Add the side pipes, some nice chrome rims - and perhaps a new black paint job .... and you will be the envy of all of us that have every wanted to customize a vette ....
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sidepipes 100% dude, they make the car look lower wider and meaner and they just sound tough.....but you've got to have the HP to match or it's all mouth and no trousers.

I'm not a fan of the factory sidepipes, i much prefer Hookers, I have hookers with the less restrictive mufflers, can't remember what they're called but they're less restrictive than the glass mufflers which will lose you hp over a standard system
( I read a dyno test between a stock system and two types of muffles in sidepipes, the results were

1 - loud sidepipes
2 - stock system
3 - quiet sidepipes.

The side pipes also give you more ground clearance on lowered cars.

I don't care if people burn themselves, I just say "watch it they're hot" after they've burnt themselves

[IMG][/IMG]

Ha ha, just realised this shot was prior to me fitting the filler panel on the rear.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
that's a bold opinion
It is an opinion.

I absolutely love your wheels though
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by qwank
It is an opinion.

I absolutely love your wheels though
it's all good
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I answer a add from a corvette forum advertiser Huron speed ,very cautious at first . I received headers,pipes perfectly boxed,warped .Absolutely perfect fit no cutting rocker panel and I have power brakes/AC .why would anybody use chrome when they could get all stainless is mind boggling .when i am down and out from business and hammered by wife I meet the sheriff on the highway at last light before 20 mile run. He flashes lights and I take the 1971 convertible ( top down) o to 120 mph plus ------ wow side pipes like the sound of music .i am 66 years old I come back home like captain America ready to take on the world . Crome bumpers,miglia red and polished stainless side pipes.------ what not to love!

Last edited by Captain bob; 01-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aaroncorvette

[IMG][/IMG]
That is a pretty sweet ride
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had the top up but otherwise a clone!

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipes or not to Sidepipe ?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not a fan of sidepipes. IMO they take from the lines of the vehicle.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 AM
BigBadBorry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just love my side pipes, and they have been introduced to my ankles as well Ouch!!!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 AM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Another vote for Stainless Side pipes.

Stingray = Side pipes. Side pipes = Stingray.

I run the classic chambered Vette packs in mine. 2 1/2" flowpath and just the right amount of volume. Steel Shields so no burns.

Win Win

Quick Reply: Sidepipes or not to Sidepipe ?