C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may (finally) remove the A.I.R. System from my '80 L48

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default I may (finally) remove the A.I.R. System from my '80 L48

I am doing a major top-end project on the L48: Rollerizing the valve train. In the process, I am likely to remove the OEM smog pump, hoses and check valves that currently attach to my Hedmann #68301 Jet-Hot coated headers (they have the pipes welded in place... I sold my OEM manfolds and tubes to 'Paul Borowski' for his yellow '80 years ago when he was prep'ing it for sale.

I know I'll need to put pipe fittings on the pipes on the headers but should I be concerned about any issues beyond that? I kept the pump to keep the engine compartment looking sort of 'retro' with the headers hidden under all of the stuff.

I am leaning toward going to a pair of stainless works headers and they do not offer the A.I.R. tubes. My coated Hedmann's are starting to show rust/age through the coating (installed around the 1999 rebuild). Sitting in the garage through some northern winters, accumulating moisture, has not been so good for them. I'll decide on the header replacement down the road, once I've sorted out the roller project. For now, I think the smog system will go in a box for retention or future sale. One fewer pump and belt on the front of the engine and a couple fewer hoses cluttering the area.

NOTE: The EGR valve has long since gone bye-bye and I have removed all of the thermal sensors, valves and hoses from the intake. Only hoses are EFE, PCV and those that drive the accessories. I've even closed the loop on the thermal valves on the ram air intake. I added metal screws (on outside... nothing to make its way into the intake area) to keep the flapper doors on the dual air snorkels open at ALL times. I had an issue where one flaps would remain partially closed at all times, no matter the engine or outdoor temp).

Looks like I have added an item to add to my 'while-I'm-at-it-list' (remove the smog stuff once and for all).

Cheers!

Last edited by TedH; 01-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

If that equipment is still operational, my first question would be "Why remove it?" That stuff is fairly benign..less than 1 hp lost to run it. If you ever sell the car to someone in another state with smog checks, it would not pass inspection without that stuff. IMO, it would be best to clean it all up and put it back on the car.

But, it's your car. If you still decide to remove it, at least keep it for 'posterity' or the next owner.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If that equipment is still operational, my first question would be "Why remove it?" That stuff is fairly benign..less than 1 hp lost to run it. If you ever sell the car to someone in another state with smog checks, it would not pass inspection without that stuff. IMO, it would be best to clean it all up and put it back on the car.

But, it's your car. If you still decide to remove it, at least keep it for 'posterity' or the next owner.
Good idea. I'll box and seal it for the potential future sale.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 AM
MathC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, is there any way to get a picture of the system and all th hoses/equipments to remove ? I want to get rid of the AIR/EGR system, since in France, with historic tags, we don't pass emission tests.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I don' t know if these will help. But here are some of the parts I removed:

The water inlet has three holes in it for sensors and crap.

If you have an 81 you can also trash all of the CCC stuff. This is on a stand alone harness that is easy to get rid off:

I will tell you that despite what some will tell you, the car runs much better without all the vacuum sucking stuff and that horrible Q Jet.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In this pic, how many electrical connections are ther on the valve? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MathC3
...is there any way to get a picture of the system and all th hoses/equipments to remove ? I want to get rid of the AIR/EGR system...
The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the complete AIR system. Order the AIM, take a look at the diagrams, remove what is illustrated.

Get notified of new replies

To I may (finally) remove the A.I.R. System from my '80 L48

Quick Reply: I may (finally) remove the A.I.R. System from my '80 L48