C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio/power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM
JoeManuele
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default radio/power antenna

I am looking for instructions on how to remove the power antenna on my 1978 corvette. I want to replace it with a manual one as it seems to be draining my battery.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeManuele
I am looking for instructions on how to remove the power antenna on my 1978 corvette. I want to replace it with a manual one as it seems to be draining my battery.
Disconnect the power supply to it and see if thats the cause for sure. The connector is buried under the carpet on the driver side towards the rear up near the glass. Pull the carpet back in the driver side rear corner to see it. You will have to do this anyway.

Getting it out is easy. Comes out from the bottom. Exhaust hopefully will not be in the way.

Jim
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

ORIGINAL antenna?
No connector buried under the carpet(or behind the rear speaker/blockoff) on a 78 unless someone added one in the past.
Need to unplug it from the relay under the center console towards the rear.
Connector was added late 79 when GM went with the "slimline" plastic bodied antenna.
Does the antenna seem to work as it should? Then no reason it should cause a power drain. If it overheats because it want's to keep running when already down it will burn out the armature and blow the antenna/power lock fuse. See if you can reach up under the fender and put your hand on the cylinder on the motor to see if it's getting hot.
If you decide to remove it most people clip the wires(green/gray/white). Much easier than removing the entire harness under the carpet. Leave things long enough to resplice.
Keep in mine if you go fixed antenna you'll need to replace the co-ax all the way to the radio

Keep in mind, this is for a factory antenna.
Aftermarket......who knows!

Last edited by KapsSA; 01-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
McVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to remove it as kapsSA stated ..I removed mine on a 79 vette to repair the nylon cable that moves it up and down and it is not that big of a deal to do as long as exhaust is not in the way....keep us posted on what u decide and Good Luck
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM
JoeManuele
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks...I will try that.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I eliminated 98% of my antenna, other then the very tip, left it there for cosmetic purposes. went with one that sticks on back of window on the inside. a little clear silicone keeps the rubber piece and tip of antenna secure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Hi...5faa16&vxp=mtr

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Doug1; 01-13-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug1
I eliminated 98% of my antenna, other then the very tip, left it there for cosmetic purposes. went with one that sticks on back of window on the inside. a little clear silicone keeps the rubber piece and tip of antenna secure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Hi...5faa16&vxp=mtr

[IMG][/IMG]
Doug, how is the FM reception now and where did you stick the antenna?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeManuele
...I am looking for instructions on how to remove the power antenna on my 1978 corvette...
The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows how it was installed. Taking it out would be the reverse. No sense removing it unless you are certain the antenna is the source of your battery drain.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
Doug, how is the FM reception now and where did you stick the antenna?
reception is great, but I do live in a very urban area with plenty of close, strong stations. if you look in pic it can be viewed(about 11 oclock in pic), its on back window on the inside

Get notified of new replies

To radio/power antenna

Quick Reply: radio/power antenna