C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I set camber? Tire sitting outside fender!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Body not aligned correctly would be my best guess. I just lowered the body back onto my frame this week. A little nudge is all it takes to move them with the body bolts loosened. I talked with a long time corvette restorer, it may take multiple attempts at shimming to get the perfect alignment of gaps, and every time squaring the body up is critical.
Alright gents, tomo Im going to get underneath the car and loosen all these bolts. I pray this goes easily. Well I dont actually pray, I just wish I could fix one problem on this car without spending a small fortune. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Alright gents, tomo Im going to get underneath the car and loosen all these bolts. I pray this goes easily. Well I dont actually pray, I just wish I could fix one problem on this car without spending a small fortune. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Good luck. Those can be difficult.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
Good luck. Those can be difficult.
So how exactly do I do this? Do I just find a solid area and give it a nudge? Will I need a few jacks/lifts to relieve pressure? What things should I AVOID doing so I dont CRACK this friggen car?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

So how exactly do I do this? Do I just find a solid area and give it a nudge? Will I need a few jacks/lifts to relieve pressure? What things should I AVOID doing so I dont CRACK this friggen car?
Use a LIBERAL (no pun intended!!) amount of penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts. let it sit for a while, then get everything loosened up. If the car is currently on the dollies, lock the dolly wheels sothe car can't move. Then get next to the driver's side door, and give the car a good shove toward the opposite side. Hopefully, this will do the trick.

If it helps, then you know it's simply a body alignment issue, and nothing more serious. Inspect the body mount cushions, and if they're beat up, it would be a good time to replace them. Since you mentioned that some of the bolts are missing, you'll want to replace them. Look into either grade 8 bolts or stainless bolts.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Scottd
Drifting

The body alignment is off. the easiest way it to compare the relative position of the swing arm bolt to the body in these pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and now the pass side

Now heres my new problem. All 8 bolts are now loose. That was easy. (the ones on the rear in front of the tires are even missing) but I cant get the body to budge. Not a MM. Ive tried gently lifting the body at each corner and shes not lifting at all. What am I missing?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Alright guys....it won't budge. All the bolts are loose. I've pushed, bumped, lifted and sworn. What's the trick here. It almost feels as if its still connected to the frame. I got the firewall bolts, the kick panel bolts, the next set are missing (access panel in real wheels) and the ones behind the wheels. All bolts are finger loose. This is going to drive me insane. Somebody tell me how to move this body over 1/3 of a stinking inch!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

2X4 on the floor of the car lifted by a floor jack........slowly.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by briankeery
2X4 on the floor of the car lifted by a floor jack........slowly.
I used a 4x4, because it's a little more rigid. The piece I used was about 18" long.

Lift slowly and carefully, move all around the car, just to "loosen it up".
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

before you lift the body, check the clearance between the upper rear shock bolts and the battery/jack stowage boxes. i've never worked on an 82, but on the early 70's there is less than 1/2" space. not enough to make a substantial difference in the position of the body on the frame unless you want contact with the shocks.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I installed new control arms last year and assumed I had installed them in the same position as when removed. Last night I noticed that my pass rear tire was sitting a good inch outside the fender ...

I started playing with the camber bolt but I just couldnt get it to set right. When I managed to get the top of the tire under the fender, then the bottom of the tire stuck out WAY to far. Im missing some kind of adjustment here, I know it.
I measured the frame, took several different readings, everything appears straight (I just measured from several reference points on each side)

Anybody have some insight or tips to get this tire vertical enough to get me to an alignment shop come spring?
Were the bushing caps installed on the inboard strut rod bushing? No bushing caps would cause the camber adjustment bolt to turn with no effect.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Last night I tried several variations of lifting the body from several different positions. Every time I lift, the frame appears to move upwards as well. Some here have suggested lifting the body with a 2x4 from underneath. Are you referring to the portions of the body that are accessible from under the car, or from the body rails themselves? (Please dont say the body rails, I dont want to have to remove my side pipes now too....)

Let me ask this silly question....what else could be holding the body to the frame. All the bolts are finger loose and Im getting NO movement AT ALL....
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Last night I tried several variations of lifting the body from several different positions. Every time I lift, the frame appears to move upwards as well. Some here have suggested lifting the body with a 2x4 from underneath. Are you referring to the portions of the body that are accessible from under the car, or from the body rails themselves? (Please dont say the body rails, I dont want to have to remove my side pipes now too....)

Let me ask this silly question....what else could be holding the body to the frame. All the bolts are finger loose and Im getting NO movement AT ALL....
Scott, when I changed out the body cushions on my wife's '79, I had the bolts in place, but the nuts completely removed, so the body could easily rise. I placed the 4x4 against the floor pan(s), with the jack pad beneath, and slowly lifted. I used as long a piece of wood as I had, so the load wasn't concentrated in one place, but distributed over as long a section of the underbody as possible.

If the body isn't rising off the frame, make sure that the prior owner (Bubba) didn't put some bolts where GM didn't intend them to be...
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott,
I don't know how your sidepipes are mounted but they might be preventing the body from moving. If the mounting brackets are bolted to the body rails or rocker covers, rocker covers, the bolt could be interfering or pressing against the frame. In this picture where the body is lifted, you can see light gray primer dots on the frame where a couple of the holes in the body rails are located relative to the frame. This shot is looking back from mount 2 on the passenger side. If you can get a pry bar between the body channel and frame, you should be able to shift the body sideways.

The lack of mounting bolts in the third and fourth body mounts on your car might be a symptom of the misalignment. If bolts from the sidepipe mounting brackets pushed on the frame, it might both cause the misalignment and prevent the body from lifting off the frame.

The mounting bolts could also be missing because they sheared off when someone attempted to remove them. Mount 1 is a bolt and regular nut but the rest are bolts threaded into captured nuts. Mount 2 and 3 bolts install from above but mount 4 installs from below. They are all 2.5" long grade 5 7/16-14 UNC (coarse) bolts on the aluminum '72 mounts but you might need longer ones for the rubber donuts.

If the captured nut is messed up or has a piece of the bolt stuck in it, you've got your work cut out for you. If they are simply missing the bolts, you should be able to shift the body (once you figure out the hangup) and tighten all 8 mounts down. Leaving the four bolts out of the rear of the car probably means the body is going to shift quite often.

Just take it slow and don't get the BFH out yet. You still have time before the ice and salt are off the roads in Syracuse. I try to get stuff done in the winter when I can work without the A/C on -- it's down to 73~F tonight already.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Would this underbody seat belt strap prohibit ALL upward movement of the frame? Its not moving at all. I plan on getting under it tomo with a 4x4 under the floor pans and lifting from there.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Would this underbody seat belt strap prohibit ALL upward movement of the frame? Its not moving at all. I plan on getting under it tomo with a 4x4 under the floor pans and lifting from there.
I don't think so....I don't recall loosening/removing the belts when I replaced the body mount cushions....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Well gents......I give up on trying to move the body. I spent the last 4 days of my vacation lifting, lowering, lifting, pushing, lowering, changing lift positions and swearing a whole bunch. I had the body loose, that much I know. No mater how hard I try, it wouldnt budge, not even 1/4 inch. I dont get it. With the camber adjusted almost perpindicular (using my high tech bubble level zip tied to a board), my fender comes to about 1/4 below where the tread ends and into the sidewall. Going to buy a real stiff spring and hope for the best. Im not dicking with this body anymore. Too much bad mojo with bubbas 72-82 conversion.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Scott, don't give up!! There has to be a solution. One question, if the right side of the body is "flush" with the outside of the tire, is the left side of the body overhanging the tire by an equal amount?

Get notified of new replies

To How do I set camber? Tire sitting outside fender!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Scott,
I know you've made sure someone hasn't left a wheel spacer stuck on the hub or maybe stuck to the back side of the rim... The tire looks pretty vertical. With the tires off measure distances from the center or each side of the pumpkin to the hub flanges and compare. I'm thinkin' I didn't see this suggested but I could have missed it.
Bill
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well gents......I give up on trying to move the body. I spent the last 4 days of my vacation lifting, lowering, lifting, pushing, lowering, changing lift positions and swearing a whole bunch. I had the body loose, that much I know. No mater how hard I try, it wouldnt budge, not even 1/4 inch. I dont get it. With the camber adjusted almost perpindicular (using my high tech bubble level zip tied to a board), my fender comes to about 1/4 below where the tread ends and into the sidewall. Going to buy a real stiff spring and hope for the best. Im not dicking with this body anymore. Too much bad mojo with bubbas 72-82 conversion.
Don't feel bad. As I said previously, most cars were built that way and there's nothing that can be done about it. If you had been successful, you'd be the first I've ever heard of that could fix the offset.

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
OK, turns out that half shafts are a red herring. I looked my notes, turns out the later models are shorter, not longer. Yours should be 13 7/8", '80-'82 are 13 12". Sorry.

The other hardware mentioned in your second paragraph are also red herrings. None of those affect wheel to wheel width.

Being that most C2/C3 bodies are not centred on their frames (no, there's nothing you can do about it), you might have an extreme example. That, coupled with the extra width of the tires might just be too much.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by slofut
Scott,
I know you've made sure someone hasn't left a wheel spacer stuck on the hub or maybe stuck to the back side of the rim... The tire looks pretty vertical. With the tires off measure distances from the center or each side of the pumpkin to the hub flanges and compare. I'm thinkin' I didn't see this suggested but I could have missed it.
Bill
No spacers. The ONLY measurable distance I can see is the gap between the trailing arm bolt and the body and the upper shock bolt and body. the driver side sits just under 1/2 inch more to the left. Im really starting to think this is a tolerance stacking issue. Older frame, newer body, older body mounts (washers, not rubber) and wide tires.

For you guys running wider tires...If you theoretically pushed all the way down on your tail end to full compression, would your fenders rub your sidewall? Im seeing tire rub on the top of both my wells, making me think my spring is worn out ans further complicating things.

The dowel in the picture shows at what point of compression my fender will start touching my tire. you can see the prior scuffing on the tire when the camber was also way out on top. Now that I adjusted the Camber and bubba'd a wedge between the fame rail and frame, the contact point seems to be the same on both sides. Is this a healthy distance, and will a stiffer/new spring allow this much compression? If its not, my ONLY other option is going to thinner tires. Id rather spend 180 on a spring than 600 on rubber.

Quick Reply: How do I set camber? Tire sitting outside fender!