C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
My1968Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment!!!

I did a valve adjustment to all valves. after about 20 minutes they seemed to be loose again. is this normal? i figured i will do another one when engine has run for a little bit. do i need to go back and do this again before i run it. thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

how did you do it? I'm not good enough to go by "feel", I need a feeler gauge myself. how does it run, good power? no spitting up through carb? smooth idle? quiet when engine is running?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM
My1968Vette
Intermediate

not sure yet. haven't started it yet. will let ya know when i do.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by My1968Vette
not sure yet. haven't started it yet. will let ya know when i do.
when you adjusted the first time, how? feeler gauge? did you do intake just as the exhaust began to open and the exhaust and the intake just closed?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

like most ...older folks , I had my version of valve adjustment that I used for years...and years, swore by it, never failed to work, told others how to do it, argued about it being the best way, Got member "lars" paper on adjusting valves, tried it, I'll never do it any other way. right on the money, put the valve covers on and forget about them. no mess, no worry. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy. Thats one job that I knew had to be done right, my way worked great, but "lars' was light years better.
ask for his papers
v8fastcars@msn.com

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 01-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM
My1968Vette
Intermediate

i followed the manual. seemed to be ok. just wanted to make sure i don't have to do this again. i read the paper on lars. only problem i have is the four corners. this is a huge pain in the *** due to the front of the motor all on and really no place for me do do all this without a lift. the paper is great and recommend everyone to read. i guess i'll just start it this weekend and hope for the best.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I still have the marks on my balancer from using that method but if the motor is together, I agree it would be hard to do.

As a last resort, you could go old school and adjust them with the car running. If you have an old valve cover laying around you can cut a slot in it to help keep oil from splashing everywhere. I have been know to bend up some cardboard as a shield. You gotta be fast if you do it this way or you will have a mess.

Loosen each valve till you hear it clatter, tighten it till it gets quiet, then give it an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Loosen each valve till you hear it clatter, tighten it till it gets quiet, then give it an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn.[/QUOTE]

If you are running stamped steel rockers/ factory rockers, there are snap on plugs that your parts store should have that stops the oil stream from the rockers during a running adjustment.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If its a hydraulic cam they may not seem "right" til its running and you have oil pressure. If you put your preload on when there was no up/down slack in the pushrod they should be fine.
"spinning them" sometimes works sometimes doesnt. They can still spin as the plunger gets pushed down in the lifter it can throw you off.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

is it a solid or hydraulic cam ?hydraulic lifters bleed down quickly.I use a drill and prime the oil system for each valve setting.what kind of nuts do you have for the rocker arms ?do they have set screws ?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
Is it a solid or hydraulic cam?
FINALLY, somebody asked question number 1.....
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by My1968Vette
I did a valve adjustment to all valves. after about 20 minutes they seemed to be loose again. is this normal? i figured i will do another one when engine has run for a little bit. do i need to go back and do this again before i run it. thanks
Same thing happened with my LS5. I ran the engine, then adjusted the values...by the time I was done the first lifters were loose. I assumed that some of the pressure bled off the lifters. I didn't go back and re-adjust because I figured I'd be chasing my tail adjusting and re-adjusting. I runs fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Two things come up in this discussion
1. If you adjust when warm you set preload at a specific point with oil in the lifter. As they cool the oil bleeds off and they start to loosen up. I prefer to do them cold when all bleed down has finished.

2. On rockers without the trunion or allen set screw the rocker nuts have about 1-2 adjustments in them and the nylon "locknut" material starts to compress. After heating and cooling they will loosen up causing misadjustment. Your solution to this is adjust and use at least 3/4's after zero and it should be ok for a long time, or replace.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM
racegofast
Intermediate

no kidding
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bigvette1
1. If you adjust when warm you set preload at a specific point with oil in the lifter. As they cool the oil bleeds off and they start to loosen up. I prefer to do them cold when all bleed down has finished.

2. On rockers without the trunion or allen set screw the rocker nuts have about 1-2 adjustments in them and the nylon "locknut" material starts to compress. After heating and cooling they will loosen up causing misadjustment. Your solution to this is adjust and use at least 3/4's after zero and it should be ok for a long time, or replace.
After cold adjustment some will be still be loose depending on where they are sitting on the cam.

2) You can get rocker nuts where the top threads were originally purposely deformed in order to make them "not round" and grip the stud threads to make it a self-locking nut.

This make them hard to turn and hard to back off on there own. This type seems to last longer.

And once again a cold engine no matter what type of lifter hydraulic, solid roller, whathaveyou will have some loose after they are adjusted.

And cut a slot in an old valve cover to adjust them running
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bigvette1

"Nylock" nuts are NOT the proper adjusting nut for use in an engine. As "Motorhead" mentioned in his post, there are special nuts used, that have the top 3-4 threads purposely deformed to cause them to "lock" on the rocker arm studs, and hold their adjustment.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Do we know yet. Solid of Hydraulic?

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Adjustment!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dino_'72
Do we know yet. Solid of Hydraulic?
NO!

......yet the "instructions" on how to do it, keep flowing!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

my father in law loaned me a cool tool, by snap on. connect it to starter, lets you bump the starter with a switch you hold in your hand as you observe the valves and adjust accordingly. made it very simple
Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

This thread is getting pretty funny.

Going into the third day, and the OP is gone, he never stated whether he had a solid lifter cam or a hydraulic lifter cam, but we got all sorts of ways to adjust it....

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment!!!