C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header back exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Razzman1963
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header back exhaust systems

I have a 72 (350) that had headers to side pipes that I removed from the car as they were in rough shape. I installed a new set of headman longtube headers. The only header back exhaust system that I can find are sold by Jegs and Summitt. There is a note on both websites that say not for use with TH400 tranny. I have a TH400 tranny in my car... Any advice on where I can find a header back exhaust system that will work with a TH400? I can by the stock exhaust system from any corvette vendor but I will have to cut it up to make it work, really don't want to go down that road.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i just changed a munci to a th400 on a car that has headers of unknown manufacturer. the collectors come straight back from the engine and do not flare outward (normal shape). the collectors end about 5 inches behind the front of the torque converter cover, but are far enough from the centerline that there isn't any interference. i cut through the reducers and the exhaust pipes and welded the pipes into the reducers at an outward angle so that the trans pan can be dropped without touching the exhaust. if you don't have a welder, any muffler shop could do it.
call the tech support and find out excatly why their systems won't fit a th400.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Pypes system
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/py...ette/year/1974
that I got at Summit. It's on a '74 with a TH400. The only issue I had with it is that it was about a foot short of reaching my headers which are Flowtech.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bi...ette/year/1974

Get notified of new replies

To Header back exhaust systems

Quick Reply: Header back exhaust systems