C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy! New to forum, questions already

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM
MultipleFractures
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy! New to forum, questions already

Howdy everyone

I have loved Corvettes since I was a kid back at the start of C3's. Now my son has earned himself a project car with his outstanding academic performance over this last year!

His choice of car was a C3, which I fully support . We have found a 74 convertible (we love our LeMans convertible) that is going to a MAJOR project. I will post pictures of it as soon as I can take some of my own. I am currently working in the oil sands of Alberta and go home every couple of weeks, which will leave plenty of time to help my son with his project.

I am sure I will have a ton of questions to ask. I have been reading non-stop since becoming a member at the beginning of this month. I am very experienced in mechanical repairs (30 years in the business) and have already learned many things about the C3.

My first question:

The car we bought needs a complete body on the front end; inner fenders, fenders, headlights and activators, bumper, etc. We plan on buying a donor car to supply the parts. What are the C3's that will work for this application?

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MultipleFractures
Howdy everyone

I have loved Corvettes since I was a kid back at the start of C3's. Now my son has earned himself a project car with his outstanding academic performance over this last year!

His choice of car was a C3, which I fully support . We have found a 74 convertible (we love our LeMans convertible) that is going to a MAJOR project. I will post pictures of it as soon as I can take some of my own. I am currently working in the oil sands of Alberta and go home every couple of weeks, which will leave plenty of time to help my son with his project.

I am sure I will have a ton of questions to ask. I have been reading non-stop since becoming a member at the beginning of this month. I am very experienced in mechanical repairs (30 years in the business) and have already learned many things about the C3.

My first question:

The car we bought needs a complete body on the front end; inner fenders, fenders, headlights and activators, bumper, etc. We plan on buying a donor car to supply the parts. What are the C3's that will work for this application?

Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
If I understand your proposal, you need a complete front end from the firewall forward? If so, I don't know that I would recommend buying a donor car for this. The nose is glued on, not bolted on as they are for steel body cars. Not knowing many details of your car, you may be better off going the other way? Buy another, use yours for parts? I'm a bit skeptical of removing a complete front end, debonding it from a donor, without risk of damage. Maybe some others who may have done this will chime in? You may consider a complete one piece nose from one of the vendors, or an original style pieced together in a jig....

What shape is the rest of the car in? How is the frame? Rust? Any other repairs needed? Photos are always helpful.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 12-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM
MultipleFractures
Cruising

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
If I understand your proposal, you need a complete front end from the firewall forward? If so, I don't know that I would recommend buying a donor car for this. The nose is glued on, not bolted on as they are for steel body cars. Not knowing many details of your car, you may be better off going the other way? Buy another, use yours for parts? I'm a bit skeptical of removing a complete front end, debonding it from a donor, without risk of damage. Maybe some others who may have done this will chime in? You may consider a complete one piece nose from one of the vendors, or an original style pieced together in a jig....

What shape is the rest of the car in? How is the frame? Rust? Any other repairs needed? Photos are always helpful.
No rust in the frame or bird cage is the big plus of this car, besides it is a convertible. Interior is decent and all the parts are there, but will need freshing up. The motor will be getting a signicant (DART) upgrade and we will be installing a 200R4 trans. The whole point of this car is to develop practical experience for my son who is headed for a mechanical engineering degree. It isn't a question of saving money, it is like another university course, but you get to drive it when it is complete.

I will post pics as soon as I get back home next week. BTW, it is alot colder here than in Texas
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

if you can get the old front end off cleanly , id go for a new front end. a lot of guys who sell used parts get the front clips off clean and almost ready to install. if being original doesn't matter any 73-79 front will be close but 68 - 82 will all go on with work. good luck, this will be a good engineering project
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
MultipleFractures
Cruising

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
if you can get the old front end off cleanly , id go for a new front end. a lot of guys who sell used parts get the front clips off clean and almost ready to install. if being original doesn't matter any 73-79 front will be close but 68 - 82 will all go on with work. good luck, this will be a good engineering project
Would you recommend doing the same thing for the headlights, actuators and associated hardware?

Post a WTB on this site?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

1973-74 will be a lot easier than any other years.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM
MultipleFractures
Cruising

Originally Posted by 63mako
I absolutely love your car
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yes use the headlights and all.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Peeling the front end isn't all that difficult. Its a lot of work, but not bad. Use a good heat gun, heat the seams and use a thin sharp putty knife, go slow and you can do it with little or no dammage. I would do the entire front end if you can get a whole one. The fenders, hood surround and skirts and all of that are already aligned.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Yes. The only exact replacement for a '74 nose is a '73 or '74. The newer cars have a different soft bumper cover. The bumper structure underneath is different as well in the newer cars.

Last edited by gcusmano74; 12-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi mf,
It sounds like you and the future engineer are in for some big fun!
I'll suggest that you buy the 1974 ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL, (it was used on the production line in St.Louis), and the 1974 GM CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL, (It was used at the dealerships).
They both are available from many of the larger Corvette parts venders.
These 2 books have an incredible amount of information in them, and will be well worth their cost. They won't have all the answers, but are the 2 best sources of information for your car.
Good Luck as you get going!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi mf,
It sounds like you and the future engineer are in for some big fun!
I'll suggest that you buy the 1974 ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTION MANUAL, (it was used on the production line in St.Louis), and the 1974 GM CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL, (It was used at the dealerships).
They both are available from many of the larger Corvette parts venders.
These 2 books have an incredible amount of information in them, and will be well worth their cost. They won't have all the answers, but are the 2 best sources of information for your car.
Good Luck as you get going!
Regards,
Alan

What he said.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Lil" Red Corvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A message from your 74 Convertible:

"Thank You for saving me"

Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

You may want to check out this fellow's web site. He has been through removing the front clip, replacing with a new one. It's an earlier model, 71, but should give you a good idea of what to expect. He posts a lot of pictures with explanations, good resource.

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/

Best of luck with your project...
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,254 Likes on 972 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The paper AIM doesn't come with an index so this might help.
http://www.birkes.com/corvette/sprea...Alpha_Sort.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Howdy! New to forum, questions already

Quick Reply: Howdy! New to forum, questions already