C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you meet your goals...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you meet your goals...

I usually post about this time of year to reflect a number of things that either got done or postponed. This year was not bad for progress on the 1976 Corvette but I wished for 'more time' as I am sure all of us can agree.

I just had my own performance review at my place of employment and it went well. The reason that I had great results was that I put more into my job than on the Corvette. H'mm, what to do? I am sure you all have this same balancing act with your jobs, family, grandchildren, aging parents and other commitments.

A year ago gave me time to reflect back to 2011. At that time I was feeling bad that I made no progress and reached out on this board seeking advice of what to do with this project as it had stalled and I was way past the point of no return. What got me 'fired up' again was sharing my progress and realizing I am in the same boat with many. I thank you all for your words of encouragement.

To summarize the year, I got a differential 3/4's of the way rebuilt with much help from many on this site. I have a complete library of captured documentation on procedures of tolerances and torque. This was definately 'uncharted waters' for a retired bodyman who could live with 1/8 of an inch on the very far side of things . I know that some days I seemed to be non productive in the shop physically working on the Corvette but even a hour spent researching a 'process' is still work.

To throw it out to the group, were you able to finish off what you had planned to do when you wrote down your goals for 2012?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Congrats to you, in your place of employment and with your Pride & Joy from 1976.

With that being said, as to your question of meeting goals? Not even close. Being military living abroad has its advantages and yet, its disadvantages. Always here or there and sometimes, not close enough to enjoy the fruits of hard labor.

Some things I wanted to do was complete my overall C5-R look, (with a personal spin) but work seems to interfere with my personal life a little too much. Hahahaha

Oh well..... Life goes on.....So I say.....2013 here we come....'Ring in the New Year with a new ride!!

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 12-18-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swapped out my interior carpet, new seat covers and foam, put in new auto meter phantom gauges, and put in my new actuators for my headlights. That was my list plus one additional item, the actuators. Pretty good year for myself and the 74. It is quite enjoyable to drive around now. Was always fun but the last two years of projects made it reliable and a pleasure to drive.

I am in a job where I travel quite a bit. I pinch pennys while I'm gone. Eat a lot of PB&J and buy a 12 pack to put in the hotel mini fridge while everyone else goes out to eat and drink. But when I get home, I have extra money to buy parts!!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 AM
racegofast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I spent way more money on my vett than I will ever get out of it, Its well worth the fun. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sadly way behind on getting my interior back together....

I miss driving her!!!!!

It WILLget done...and then it will be peaches and cream!!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like I,m ahead of the game. I got mine repainted and installed a Vintage Air system. Merry Christmas and a safe holiday to all.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I got my transmission swap done in the spring. That was the only goal for the car this year. It's already pulled apart getting the next projects done.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes did everything I wanted to do, new carpet, rewired a few things. put in another anti theft device, wired a Autolite Pencile lite to go on for high temps, wired another one to tell me the fan is on.

Put a lite in so I don't forget to turn the A/F meter off. Put in a wireless switch for my antenna so it doesn't go up if I am listening to cd's.

Put another wireless switch in to turn my A/F on or off, and completely blue LED dash gauges. This picture doesn't do it any justice, it looks plain cool at night

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

As far as the car goes pretty much minus one or two things

still havent made it to the track yet due to lack of time.
Well that and 1/8 mi just doesnt sound like its worth the trip for it.
I mean sheesh its over in a few seconds.
Keep thinking dyno but just dont feel like beating it up on the rollers where I cant enjoy it.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Not yet. I still want to build a big cube SBC for it as well as convert to a 5 speed manual. Current goal is to have that done by this time next year. But I did make some progress, I finally got the cooling issues resolved, and some bling under the hood, sidepipes, it sounds awesome. Still slow though, but fun to drive. Drivability issues resolved too. That Barry Grant carb performs as well or better than I would expect any EFI system to perform. I am happy about that.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
As far as the car goes pretty much minus one or two things

still havent made it to the track yet due to lack of time.
Well that and 1/8 mi just doesnt sound like its worth the trip for it.
I mean sheesh its over in a few seconds.
Keep thinking dyno but just dont feel like beating it up on the rollers where I cant enjoy it.
...regarding the 1/8 mile. My biggest goal this year was to run the 1/4 mile and run in the 11s. I did that, although temps were in the 80s and DA was not favorable. Hopefully I'll get back early next year in cool/cold temps and race again. First I need to install my new mandrel bend exhaust system next month in hopes of picking up a bit more power. Is there a track near you where you can run the full 1/4 mile?

Last edited by Les; 12-18-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

January 2012...

December 2012...

...I'm not there YET, but I'm moving in the right direction!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, I had all these plans and they were great - got around to change the oil though but this upcoming year ...
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Is there a track near you where you can run the full 1/4 mile
hi Les

Famoso and Fontana are both over an hour and a half away from me thats if youre moving pretty good on the fwy.

Last 2 times (first 2 actually lol) I went to fontana I bought tickets waited in line for almost 45 min only to have them turn me away. Guys up front apparently were "holding places" for other cars which you cant do but they did. So long drive for nothing I will never go back there.

I swore Id never put this car on a trailer.....but knowing I have enoughpower to break anything in the car I just may do that and try Famoso this winter in case I break something. Hmm. I only have 200 mi on the car seems trustworthy but man thats a long push home lol

Til then trying to keep my license

I do want to put an AEM 02 sensor system in just havent had time
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
hi Les

Famoso and Fontana are both over an hour and a half away from me thats if youre moving pretty good on the fwy.

Last 2 times (first 2 actually lol) I went to fontana I bought tickets waited in line for almost 45 min only to have them turn me away. Guys up front apparently were "holding places" for other cars which you cant do but they did. So long drive for nothing I will never go back there.

I swore Id never put this car on a trailer.....but knowing I have enoughpower to break anything in the car I just may do that and try Famoso this winter in case I break something. Hmm. I only have 200 mi on the car seems trustworthy but man thats a long push home lol

Til then trying to keep my license

I do want to put an AEM 02 sensor system in just havent had time
Making the trip twice and being turned away sucks! I've only raced at 2 different tracks but I've never seen that happen. I would definitely trailer it if you can so you can just enjoy racing without worrying about not making it home because of a broken part. I go through and check the torque on the suspension and driveline components before I hit the track. Over time the rear spring mount anchor plate bolts can back out a bit in my experience and I feel better after checking everything anyway.

Life is short- get out there and have some fun! Oh yea, keeping your license is a good thing.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a C3 Corvette this year (and a house with a heated/cooled garage to store it in). Anything else that got accomplished was just "gravy"!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Very happy with my progress this year. Found a 77 to put my motor and 5 speed into. Started with this mess, and then yanked out every wire, hose, and part that I didnt need:

Get notified of new replies

To Did you meet your goals...

Quick Reply: Did you meet your goals...