C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bbc Hydraulic Roller Cam on the way

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
roger3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
The exhaust gas temps in the first sheet are way out of bounds. also look at the high 14:1 A/F ratio That run should have been for carb jetting comparisons only.

One big notible I see is the left side - right side A/F ratio. Your motor really requires staggered jetting. The dyno people were never on top of the tune and run 3 didn't have the A/F ratio sensors running is why it was at 8.99.

the old solid roller tune really sucked. a two point A/F difference between sides.

Staggered jetting is just having bigger jetting on different corners of the carb. What don't these dyno guys understand?
I saw the different AF ratio numbers. They were off on two different motors with different carbs. I suspect their sensors might be off and need to be calibrated. I bought an a/f ratio meter to install with dual sensors. I'll be able to make adjustments as I need to.

I don't know why they didn't make any jetting adjustments.

I run the dyno at the shop. One thing that changed many years ago was no more numbers chasing. running something with no air filter and some shop dyno headers does the customer no good.

You want real world numbers with how it is on the car and the dyno session is more of a dyno tune. So they can sort out your combination and it is ready do go when you leave the shop.
I wasn't chasing numbers with the dyno. I had two purposes.

1. Using same dyno, same correction factor, similar temps, same headers, I wanted to compare hp/Tq between my solid roller and hydraulic roller switch.

2. I wanted to see the hp/Tq difference wit/without air cleaner and difference between regular headers and side pipe headers.

Not looking for exact numbers but an approximate percentage change. I read so many posts/comments claiming how big a difference these things make. I wanted to see for myself on my motor.

Wish I was near you I would love for you to dyno it and help me get it properly tuned. I'll be learning it myself over the next few months. Thanks for your input.

Roger

Last edited by roger3; 02-11-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
roger3
Pro

Originally Posted by rponfick
Roger, '69 427 tri power, Brodix Racerite rectangular port heads, stock GM intake and stock exhaust manifolds. Straub cam with 220/235 duration at .05, .571/.529 lift, 108 lobe sep..

Ralph
Ralph,

Have you been running those heads, or are they new? Down the road I will probably change the heads. There are so many choices and opinions (rectangular, ovals, aluminum, ovals ported). Mine are bone stock 990's. I now they certainly are not the best but I was runnin 11.60's in the 1/4 mile. Below 11.50 sec requires roll cage so I didn't see any big reason to switch, other than making a little more power so during the heat of the summer I can still be down near 11.50.

I like the idea of changing heads but staying with rectangular ports so I don't have to buy a new intake.

Roger
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Roger, the heads are brand new, not run yet. I bought them because I want to keep my tri power intake which are rec. ports. Also, didn't want to hassle with raised port exhaust (be it with headers or stock exhaust manifolds). Brodix is one of the few with stock exhaust port location. That is why Chris upped the duration on the exh side. of the cam.

Max. performance purists will question my decisions, but to each his own.

Ralph

Last edited by rponfick; 02-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
roger3
Pro

Ralph,

Please let me know how your engine performs when you get it together.

Is your car a street cruiser only, or do you take it to the track?

Are you going to dyno your engine?

I think you have a pretty good combo. Its a basic combination that has been run for 30 years, with a hydraulic roller, hard to go wrong with that.

Roger
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Roger, street cruiser only. No current plans to dyno. What it is, it is. Not looking for bragging rights, only best street manners.

Will tune carbs with LM-1, and whatever simple stuff I have available.

Ralph
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Heck...you've got Lars just down the street. Buy some beer and he'll help out with the tuning!

JIM
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Lars won't talk to me since I suggested using an Edelbrock carb on the engine.
Ralph.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Cstraub69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cstraub69
I have had several worried about my tight lobe seps. Compared to old school stuff how did you like it?
Bump

The sound and throttle response? How low did you guys idle it?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
roger3
Pro

Chris,

We had it idling about 1000rpm. It was nice and smooth. Unfortuantely I had two meetings at work, so I was in and out of the dyno shop. I didn't get to work with them very much. I didn't ask them to adjust their throttle to idle any lower but at 1000 it was much smoother then the solid roller I used to have. It sounded really smooth. I haven't heard it yet through my side pipes/inserts.

Throttle response was really crisp. There was no lag time between hitting the throttle and hearing the motor rev up.

Could have been that the dyno operator was just being nice, but he commented over and over how easy the motor starts up, idles, and revs. He also commented several times how smooth the Hp and TQ curves were.

When I dynoed it last year with the solid roller he wasn't as complimentary. Was doubting the HP I was expecting and said not to be disappointed if I didn't get above 500hp.

The dyno didn't have a strong enough return spring, when the dyno operator would let off the gas it would only come back down to about 1400 to 1600 rpms.

I got water pump on last night, engine bay touched up, should be putting motor back in the car this weekend and will let you know how it really sounds and feels.

I'll post a video. Should be able to take it the track next weekend for some 1/4 mile passes.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Cstraub69
Racer

Originally Posted by roger3
Chris,

We had it idling about 1000rpm. It was nice and smooth. Unfortuantely I had two meetings at work, so I was in and out of the dyno shop. I didn't get to work with them very much. I didn't ask them to adjust their throttle to idle any lower but at 1000 it was much smoother then the solid roller I used to have. It sounded really smooth. I haven't heard it yet through my side pipes/inserts.

Throttle response was really crisp. There was no lag time between hitting the throttle and hearing the motor rev up.

Could have been that the dyno operator was just being nice, but he commented over and over how easy the motor starts up, idles, and revs. He also commented several times how smooth the Hp and TQ curves were.

When I dynoed it last year with the solid roller he wasn't as complimentary. Was doubting the HP I was expecting and said not to be disappointed if I didn't get above 500hp.

The dyno didn't have a strong enough return spring, when the dyno operator would let off the gas it would only come back down to about 1400 to 1600 rpms.

I got water pump on last night, engine bay touched up, should be putting motor back in the car this weekend and will let you know how it really sounds and feels.

I'll post a video. Should be able to take it the track next weekend for some 1/4 mile passes.
On all my stuff, if it starts easy and revs quick then that tells you the timing events are correct. Therefore the engine will run. It should hit at the touch of the button. It should REV quick.

I think she should idle at 800 with the cam. Let me know. I have had quite a few tell customer they won't and always they do.

Looking forward to video...
Old 04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
roger3
Pro

Finally got my car back on the road. Took it for 1st drive last night. Couldn't be happier with the performance on the street.

Throttle response is much better than with previous cam.

Idle is much smoother, which it should be with a hydraulic roller.

It idles about 850rpm nice and smooth.

Cranks easily.

Taking it to the track Friday night to see how it looks in the 1/4 mile.

Thanks to Chris Straub for directing me through the process of selecting parts, cam design, answering 101 questions, etc.

Roger
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Roger, I am just a few weeks behind you. Should have tri-power on an tuned in next few weeks, so I hope to post as positive as your's.

Ralph
Old 04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Cstraub69
Racer

Originally Posted by roger3
Finally got my car back on the road. Took it for 1st drive last night. Couldn't be happier with the performance on the street.

Throttle response is much better than with previous cam.

Idle is much smoother, which it should be with a hydraulic roller.

It idles about 850rpm nice and smooth.

Cranks easily.

Taking it to the track Friday night to see how it looks in the 1/4 mile.

Thanks to Chris Straub for directing me through the process of selecting parts, cam design, answering 101 questions, etc.

Roger
Glad you like it Roger. What rpm are you running down the road in while in high gear?

Quick Reply: Bbc Hydraulic Roller Cam on the way