C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearing seized

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM
ScottE
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel bearing seized

I had a RR wheel bearing go out on my 69.

While I have it apart I plan on replacing all the bushings and any related warn parts for both sides.

I found rebuilt trailing arm assemblies at Zip or Ecklers. I priced all the parts plus the tools required and it looks like the assemblies would be cheaper considering the cost of the tools that I would only be using once.

Has anyone used these suppliers or are there some you could recommend.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Have you looked at www.willcoxcorvette.com , a supporting vendor with good prices
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also Van Steel.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GTR1999.

The above mentioned vendors are good, but nobody sets up T-arms better than Gary.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Contact tracdogg2 here on the forum for a quote. Excellent work and all USA made parts.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Be sure to add in the core charge since most likely the spindle and the bearing support won't be re-usable. If you are trying to keep the vette original you will need arms built with 69 bearing supports since every year was a different shape at the strut rod. You may be better off sending your arms to someone that will use the correct parts.
Mike
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how many miles were on these bearings or how long ago were they last serviced?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM
ScottE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
Be sure to add in the core charge since most likely the spindle and the bearing support won't be re-usable. If you are trying to keep the vette original you will need arms built with 69 bearing supports since every year was a different shape at the strut rod. You may be better off sending your arms to someone that will use the correct parts.
Mike
I definitely want to get mine rebuilt instead of just exchanging them. I can get mine done at the two venders I listed, but I asked the question to find out if there is someone in this forum that has had them done by someone that they would recommend.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
ScottE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Just out of curiosity, how many miles were on these bearings or how long ago were they last serviced?
The odometer shows 42k miles. I don’t know if that is accurate as I’m not the first owner and I bought it through a third party and didn’t talk to the owner. The brake rotors have almost no wear and the rivets have not been drilled out yet.
I don't know if they have ever been serviced. I have owned the car for 11 years and I only drive it a few hundred miles a year.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottE
The odometer shows 42k miles. I don’t know if that is accurate as I’m not the first owner and I bought it through a third party and didn’t talk to the owner. The brake rotors have almost no wear and the rivets have not been drilled out yet.
I don't know if they have ever been serviced. I have owned the car for 11 years and I only drive it a few hundred miles a year.
Thanks. The car could possibly have 142,000 miles and still have the orignal rotors. Mine has around 130K and two of the four are the originals.

At one time GM said that the rear bearings were 'sealed for life' with no lubrication or service required. This was revised in later years to a 30-40,000 mile interval.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel bearing seized

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing seized