C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
jamesbtaylorjt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch

Trying to get the bugs out of my head lights they turn on but won't go up n down. Checked a replaced any bad hoses new actuators and new relays. There is a hiss noise at the switch when I turn on the lights is this normal? Or should I replace the switch also. Also my brakes aren't working properly. Could this have anything to do with the vaccum on the lights?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Lets see.. No.. Maybe and possible...

You should not hear a hiss from the headlamp switch when you turn the lights on. Would I just replace the switch.. not until I checked it to see if you possibly have a hose off or the hoses on the correct way.

You didn't say what year the car is so go to my site and look for the vacuum schematic in the tech picture section.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...eywords=vacuum

Could this cause a brake issue.. could be. The small hose is small but if it were off then yes it could affect the brakes.

Nick on problem in the rear and figure out the issue with the vacuum leaking at the switch and then you'll find your answer out for sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi J,
First Post!!!!!! WELCOME!
The headlights can be quite a mystery.
There are 2 vacuum hoses on the headlight switch The one with the blue stripe should be on the front, (towards the front of the car,) nipple, and the plain black hose should be on the rear nipple.
If they're reversed I believe you'll hear the hiss.
I'm surprised you had to replace ALL the components. It's very rare that EVERYTHING fails. Did you check the original switches, relays and actuators? Also, did you check the new parts before installing them.... there are lots of reports of faulty replacement parts?
Regards,
Alan

If you fill in your profile with the year of your car it will help people answer your questions.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
jamesbtaylorjt
Intermediate

Default Headlight switch

Got them working early am this morning think around 2am. Good thing I'm on vacation. Lol. The to hoses in the switch were backwards. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jamesbtaylorjt
Got them working early am this morning think around 2am. Good thing I'm on vacation. Lol. The to hoses in the switch were backwards. Thanks for the help.
Did you solve the brake issue? There is another hose that goes to the check valve on the master cylinder. If the check valve is bad the brake booster will never build up pressure. Its plastic, in front of the booster with rubber hose going to it. You should only be able to blow through it one way...in. This is all provided you have power brakes.

Jim
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
jamesbtaylorjt
Intermediate

Found part of brake problem. MC was bone dry so I'm guna have to bleed brakes. It a 77 by the way but lights fixed.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good deal.. now my next advice.. find someone with a pressure bleeder for you brakes.... it will save you a ton of time.

James.. we have a ton of info on the site for you. Just search by year and look under the repair and install help section.. or the tech picture section for pics like this... Oh.. welcome to the forum too..

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 12-03-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch

Quick Reply: Headlight switch