C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped soft top attachment bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Stripped soft top attachment bolts

Since I've owned it, my soft top has never sealed very well against the window on the drivers side. I finally decided to try and look at adjusting the top. What I found was that both bolts on the drivers side were stripped.

Does anyone know how to remove the plate that the bolts attach to? I want to put in some helicoils, and think it would be a lot easier to do if I can remove the plate.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-26-2012, 04:51 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. Those plates were never meant to be removed. The are held in place in the bird cage by two bent tabs of steel. If you removed them, you would have no way to reinstall them, short of taking the bird cage apart. If you figure out a solution, I would like to know.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sometimes I have them come into the shop where the backing plate is gone. Fell out or something. It happens. Without major surgery getting one back in is probably impossible. When I get one like that, I get some of those rivnuts, like the racers use on everything, and seat them where the plate was. Works well.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

What bolts are you speaking of (pics)?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
What bolts are you speaking of (pics)?
Sorry I don't have a picture right now, I can get one in the morning.

The bolts I'm talking about are the two bolts that hold the soft top on the car. On each side, there are 2 bolts that screw into a plate that can slide around, which allows for adjustments.

My problem is that the threads in that plate are gone, because someone in the past overtightened the bolts.

I was hoping to be able to remove the plate, and put in a couple of helicoils. Sounds like that is not possible.

Can I install the helicoils with that plate still in the bird cage?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Same deal, not so long ago I cut an access hole in the door jamb, as I recall I cut through the glass, and had some steel behind it, so cut that too, and got to the plate in question, redid it as necessary, and reinstalled, and put a patch panel over the glass, painted and hardly noticed....not the largest operation in the world, just about 2-3 hours if that.....

what is more of a PIA is getting the window to seal to the top rubber.....

THAT is the killer.....
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Mashman;1582423915]Sorry I don't have a picture right now, I can get one in the morning.

The bolts I'm talking about are the two bolts that hold the soft top on the car. On each side, there are 2 bolts that screw into a plate that can slide around, which allows for adjustments.

/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought you meant the front latch bolts.

On the side plates, I think it is possible to bend the retainers and drop the plate. Then fish it out with a magnet. You should then be able to replace the nut plate. You might not be able to secure it with the retainer, but you can get the bolts back in.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those plates were not designed to come out. You will have to Helicoil them right where they are. Did it myself years ago. Fasten the top bolt with a nut behind it to hold the plate in place, and drill the bottom bolt hole first. Then screw in the bottom bolt, and drill the top hole.
I'm trying to remember the thread. 3/8" National Fine? Not sure. Pull one of the bolts and check. A good industrial hardware store, one that caters to machine shops and such, should be able to sell you the kit.
You should completely remove the folding top to do it.
It's a PITA, but doable.

Last edited by gcusmano74; 11-27-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
shineysideup
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on the drivers side. My solution was to tap the holes out to 7/16-14 they were originally 3/8-24 the only other alteration was I had to open up the slots slightly so the 7/16 bolts could adjust up or down. That was a lot easier than trying to change out the threaded inserts.

Get notified of new replies

To Stripped soft top attachment bolts

Quick Reply: Stripped soft top attachment bolts