C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering ride height...what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering ride height...what would you do?

Hi Folks,

I posted this question in the C-2 section with not much response.

I have a '64 fastback with donor disk brakes from a '69. I am looking for more ride height adjustability (lower) in the front. Can anyone here tell me if the QA-1 coil overs or an R&P setup (steeroids) would be the best choice? Both manufacturers claim height adjustability but I want to hear from someone who has installed them and what are the results. I've already cut down the front coils but don't want to lower the car that way anymore.

TIA
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

You're not getting much response here either. I don't understand how a rack and pinion can lower the ride height so I'm lost on that one. As far as coil overs go why not call Van Steel and ask for their expertise? I'm sure there is some adjustment in their coil over system. You can also consider VB&P mono spring as the height as well as the rate are adjustable. I am by no means a suspension guru but keep in mind the lower the ride height the more spring rate you need to keep from bottoming out. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in soon.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to ask, Why??
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

if you're not tracking the car, the ones made by pro-shocks and sold by summit do the same thing at 1/2 the price.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pf...m300/overview/
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
You're not getting much response here either. I don't understand how a rack and pinion can lower the ride height so I'm lost on that one. As far as coil overs go why not call Van Steel and ask for their expertise? I'm sure there is some adjustment in their coil over system. You can also consider VB&P mono spring as the height as well as the rate are adjustable. I am by no means a suspension guru but keep in mind the lower the ride height the more spring rate you need to keep from bottoming out. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in soon.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking for those owners that have installed one of these systems. The manufacturers claim ride height adjustability, including the R&P systems for corvettes. I want to confirm their claims before plunking down my hard earned coin. I'm taking my mid year in a different direction.....more of a street cruiser and entering some local car shows.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Originally Posted by alswagg
I would have to ask, Why??
Because I want to

I'm sure many of you C-3 owners have lowered the front without excessive coil cutting. I'm trying to find out if they used either of these systems in accomplishing that.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes Sir' I installed a new rear 330 # composite spring with 8 " bolts, & a set of 460 # front spring which is already 3/4 " shorter form V. B. & P. I. it is low now. But when I take off ( Jack rabbet starts, ) It does not squat, it just goes. I love it, but it is a little rougher on the rough roads. Gene
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

you threw me on your question.

The steeroids doesn't change ride height, but bumpsteer can be adjusted when you change the ride height with the steeroids system. clear as mud? Specifically, there are spacers that change where heim joint intersects the bolt that ties to the steering arm. Thus, it's adjustable FOR any given ride height.

QA1s, I've not used them on Corvette, but on several other vehicles and I like them. From my experience, they are well-engineered, and robust coil overs. With that said, I'll normally keep my spring and my shock separate because there are more options in both spring rates and shock rates than QA1 has available. It is nice to have adjust-ability, but in all honesty, I've might have changed them once after I set the initial ride height.... so have the ability to change is valueless to me.... and it does cost money.

If you're looking to constantly adjust the height, air ride is the only choice because it's so much easier, the parts cost the same, and you don't get dirty (or lose the tool) when you want to change the height.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering ride height...what would you do?

Quick Reply: Lowering ride height...what would you do?