C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM
setty7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Hey guys im new here. My dad just picked up a white '72 today. man its nice! I was wondering what exhaust sounds good on these model vettes? its a stock 350 from what I can tell. I believe it may have headers but not sure. If yall dont mind posting videos/responses that would be great!! thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
setty7
Cruising

Bump anyone?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I think the stock exhaust sounds pretty good, but wouldn't this decision be up to your dad?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
setty7
Cruising

Haha he said I get to do the exhaust so what sounds the best on these corvettes?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you use the search feature here on the forum, you will find alot of threads have been posted for exhaust sound.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

In my opinion I find hooker headers with side pipes and STS baffles quite nice. That's what is on my 77 L-48 with sbc 350.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhxjCs9msq4
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like chambered exhaust. I have it. You can buy lengths of chambered pipe with the 2.5 inch diameter inlet and outlet ends from www.classicchambered.com. Reasonably priced. You can have the sections welded in. If you choose side pipes STS baffles are good.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 PM
setty7
Cruising

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
In my opinion I find hooker headers with side pipes and STS baffles quite nice. That's what is on my 77 L-48 with sbc 350.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhxjCs9msq4

Sounds good!

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
I like chambered exhaust. I have it. You can buy lengths of chambered pipe with the 2.5 inch diameter inlet and outlet ends from www.classicchambered.com. Reasonably priced. You can have the sections welded in. If you choose side pipes STS baffles are good.
If its just stock exhaust is it not normal to just throw in a muffler?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
When you're picking out what muffler "to throw in there" be careful that the mufflers you choose have the outlets in the proper location so that the exhaust tips will be able to be remounted.
72 Corvettes have right and left mufflers.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
setty7
Cruising

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi s,
When you're picking out what muffler "to throw in there" be careful that the mufflers you choose have the outlets in the proper location so that the exhaust tips will be able to be remounted.
72 Corvettes have right and left mufflers.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan! Are both mufflers center in/out? Also do yall use like flowmaster or magnaflow or dynomax mufflers? Im mainly a truck guy so im use to just putting in a muffler or two. I havent figured out how corvette exhaust should be ran. Thanks so much for yalls help!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by setty7
...I havent figured out how corvette exhaust should be ran...
You and your dad should purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the GM chassis service manual. Order an owner's manual if you don't have one.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

OBX stainless side pipes with inserts
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
setty7
Cruising

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You and your dad should purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the GM chassis service manual. Order an owner's manual if you don't have one.

your probably right! Is it basically headers/piping/cats/piping/mufflers/piping/tips? Or is there resonators and whatever else? I am thinking about doing 2 maybe super 44s with an x pipe? Idk what sounds good on these engines???

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
OBX stainless side pipes with inserts
what are inserts?? ha, I like tips out back not the side pipes. and OBX is that an x pipe? Sorry guys
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

OBX is a sidepipe system.

Personally, I like the "sound" gained by not having a X/H pipe and keeping the "left/right tracks" seperated.

I don't think there is a resonator or anything else.

I'd run some type of header if I was going through the effort.

Many different muffler choices. I'd listen to the multitude of YouTube videos on different muffler combinations. Bear in mind that some of the sounds may be "amplified" by a big cam...don't think that you'll get that particular car's sound just by replicating their muffler choice...there are lots of other things that go into the overall sound of the car.

Last edited by keithinspace; 11-05-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

IMO, the best option [assuming that you are not trying to heavily modify the car] is to take it to a good local muffler place (NOT one of the chain outfits like Midas, etc.) and have them install a stock system back on the car with aluminized pipe. They will weld it in place so that it fits well and stays up where it needs to be. If you want louder mufflers than stock (stock ones have a nice, mild rumble to them), get some Magnaflow units that are made for your car so that they will fit properly.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
setty7
Cruising

Originally Posted by keithinspace
OBX is a sidepipe system.

Personally, I like the "sound" gained by not having a X/H pipe and keeping the "left/right tracks" seperated.

I don't think there is a resonator or anything else.

I'd run some type of header if I was going through the effort.

Many different muffler choices. I'd listen to the multitude of YouTube videos on different muffler combinations. Bear in mind that some of the sounds may be "amplified" by a big cam...don't think that you'll get that particular car's sound just by replicating their muffler choice...there are lots of other things that go into the overall sound of the car.
thanks man! how much do headers for these vettes run? any links? and shorties or longtubes? Are there "cats" on these older vettes? im sure there are.

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
IMO, the best option [assuming that you are not trying to heavily modify the car] is to take it to a good local muffler place (NOT one of the chain outfits like Midas, etc.) and have them install a stock system back on the car with aluminized pipe. They will weld it in place so that it fits well and stays up where it needs to be. If you want louder mufflers than stock (stock ones have a nice, mild rumble to them), get some Magnaflow units that are made for your car so that they will fit properly.
thanks man, what is yalls take between, flowmaster, magnaflow, dynomax, borla??
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Absolutely stock mufflers would be the only way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie question

Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 PM
setty7
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tim H
Absolutely stock mufflers would be the only way to go.
why is that? Im looking for a deep, loud, smooth sound
Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
frankfz
Cruising

Youtube is a good source to check out different exhaust sounds and options. Good speakers help here. I browsed around the site and got hooked on the Magnaflow sound. I'm getting my '70 restored and that's the way I'm going to lean when it gets to that point
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by setty7
why is that? Im looking for a deep, loud, smooth sound
With a stock engine and after market mufflers all your going to get is a raspy, tinny, truck like sound and just driving a vette thru town will get you attention enough without an exhaust tone of a hilljack wagon.

Quick Reply: Newbie question