C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric window problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric window problems

hello everyone, I am having issues with the driver side power window on my 1975 coupe. here is the issue. the window goes up and down pretty smoothly, there is some play fore and aft but i don't have the door panels on and i suspect they help hold the window secure.

the real issue is when the window gets all the way to the top (or very close) the motor does not stop and the window keeps trying to go up and thumps rapidly as if the gears are pushing the window up a tooth and then it falls.

has anyone had the same problem? any guidance would be great. also how do i get to the motor and internal window workings so i can better diagnose.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight,

~Corey
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyt
hello everyone, I am having issues with the driver side power window on my 1975 coupe. here is the issue. the window goes up and down pretty smoothly, there is some play fore and aft but i don't have the door panels on and i suspect they help hold the window secure.

the real issue is when the window gets all the way to the top (or very close) the motor does not stop and the window keeps trying to go up and thumps rapidly as if the gears are pushing the window up a tooth and then it falls.

has anyone had the same problem? any guidance would be great. also how do i get to the motor and internal window workings so i can better diagnose.

Thanks in advance for your valuable insight,

~Corey
Worn teeth on the regulator, and posibility the motor drive gear. Kits available for repairs.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wombvette
Worn teeth on the regulator, and posibility the motor drive gear. Kits available for repairs.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by coreyt
...i don't have the door panels on and i suspect they help hold the window secure...
Not really. There is a window wipe on the panel, but the door trim panels do not do much for holding the door glasses.

...any guidance would be great...
Have you ordered the assembly instruction manual (AIM)? Do you have an owner's manual?

...how do i get to the motor and internal window workings so i can better diagnose...
Remove the motor cover on the door.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

I should have added that mayber its not the teeth. YOu may find its the rivits that hold the motor and regulator to the door. if the come loose everything will flex and the grear will not make proper contact with the motor. Off chance but worth the look.

Get notified of new replies

To electric window problems

Quick Reply: electric window problems