C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Mick71
K&N for me
me too.
I don't care that they are $10 for the one time a year it gets changed. Still trying to break a 1000 miles in a summer..........
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

i have used fram filters for as long i can remember,i only leave them in for a max 4 months and run synthetic in all the cars i service,i have never had an engine failure in 40 years of servicing all mine and the family's cars.i do not work for or sell fram filters.on my intrigue the fram filter is an exposed media style with no shell.never saw any decomposition.i removed my valve covers to do a valve adjustment and could not believe how clean my engine was.here are shots of the head and valve cover as removed.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used my share of Frams over the years, without any problems. Some rag on them, because of some internal cardboard gasketing, but really not in a place that matters. Honestly don't use them anymore, as for a few more bucks, can get something better. Watch the major parts store ad's, as last year got a 5 quart jug of Castol Edge and K&N filter for $30 bucks from Advance. More recently, 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum and K&N filter for $33 bucks from Autozone. A $10 Shell gas card too.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I use the Fram HP4 filter there high performance version
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim H
What is the difference in the Napa Gold 1794 and the 1061?
i had that same question...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Wix. I got sold on them after I cut one apart and looked at the construction.

For the people who use Fram: Cut one apart and then tell me you will continue using Fram.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich's'78
For the Vette I use a gm PF35L. It is the truck length filter but also has a 12 micron ABSOLUTE rating - the best you are gonna get. Not cheap and not every place carries it. It was developed for racing the sbc so you can bet it flows a lot too.
BTW, I have long tube headers and the easiest way to remove the filter is to punch a hole in the bottom, let it drain and then run your punch through the bottom end of the filter, sideways. Comes off no sweat.
For my DD P/Up I use a NAPA Pro Select, which the parts guy swears is the same as the Gold, packed at half the price.
The regular Baldwin B6 cellulose has a 12 micron absolute.
The Baldwin B6-HPG is the same except with spun glass media like the PF35L but with a micron rating of 6.
Both the Baldwins are full size and hold a quart of oil. 2 quart are available.

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I use the Fram HP4 filter there high performance version
That filter has the same specs as the Baldwin B279

There is always a controversy between flow and micron rating, the finer the filtering the lower the flow.
My concern is that with too fine a rating, the oil gets bypassed by the filter adapter which is rated at 7 to 10psi differential.
Consensus is that it bypasses the filter altogether a lot of the time.
No easy way to test for that.
That's why I opted for the higher micron rating, but with the 20psi differential bypass. At least the oil will hopefully be filtered all the time. Ferrari and Porsche spec that filter.
I also switched to Mobil1 0w-40 recently to help the flow situation a bit.

Here is part of the newer standard for filter testing the manufactures supposedly have switched to. It's sort of confusing, but at least it's a standard guide.

Beta Ratio is a formula used to calculate the filtration efficiency of a particular filter using the data from multi-pass testing. Part of the ISO 4572 standard says the maximum reliable filtration ratio is Beta(x)= 75. This is commonly known as the "absolute" rating for the filter. Anything above Beta(x) = 75 cannot be statistically verified. The Beta(x) = 2 is commonly known as the "nominal" rating. To convert a Beta ratio to efficiency is simple: Beta Ratio-1/Beta Ratio= Filter Efficiency. The Beta (x)=2 efficiency is (2-1)/2 = 1/2, the efficiency is 50%. The Beta(x)= 75 efficiency is (75-1)/75 = 74/75 = .98666 or 98.67%. The (x) after the word Beta denotes the size particle that is being considered. Therefore, Beta(10)=4 means that the filter in question is 75% efficient at removing 10 micron size contaminants and larger from the hydraulic system
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM
billcarson
Drifting

i will cut mine open after the usual 4 month service and check it out.very curious to see how it holds up internally.i may be getting by due to my quick oil changes or use of synthetic oil.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Spocc
i had that same question...
The 1794 is quite long and holds two US quarts; the 1061 only one US quart.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
What is the difference in the Napa Gold 1794 and the 1061?
The 1794 is long enough to be even with the bottom of the stock oil pan. It was used on medium (school bus sized) trucks, C60 and the like. The 1061 is somewhat shorter. It was used on one ton pickups.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Wix is my preference. Good quality and easy to find at most auto parts stores.

I have to ask - are the ones who said they choose a filter based on the color being serious?

Adam
Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
billcarson
Drifting

i can only speak for myself and say ,"no".orange and black do look nice together though.if that filter looks degraded when i cut it i will switch and consider myself lucky.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default filters

amsoil makes a good filter
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flyeri
You are about to get a bunch of answers. I use Wix or NAPA Gold. Same filter, less than $10.

Try this site. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
Your first answer is the ONE.. Wix is the best filter you can get, no doubt. In all the cranes I run and the skytraks, we use Wix. The cranes cost millions of dollars a piece and they don't take chances.GO w/ Wix.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul 74
The 1794 is quite long and holds two US quarts; the 1061 only one US quart.
thank-you Paul & the rest of the crew here

this has made me realize , all the care, polishing & frequent oil/filter changes etc don't mean nothing if the oil filter fails

sometimes a cheap part from a far-off land is a good deal - not so for oil filters

Pete.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich's'78
For the Vette I use a gm PF35L. It is the truck length filter but also has a 12 micron ABSOLUTE rating - the best you are gonna get. Not cheap and not every place carries it. It was developed for racing the sbc so you can bet it flows a lot too.
BTW, I have long tube headers and the easiest way to remove the filter is to punch a hole in the bottom, let it drain and then run your punch through the bottom end of the filter, sideways. Comes off no sweat.
For my DD P/Up I use a NAPA Pro Select, which the parts guy swears is the same as the Gold, packed at half the price.
This might be a silly question...but if I was going to use one of these filters, would I also use a bit more oil than normal because the filter holds more? I think the answer might be yes, but I ask dumb questions all the time so I see no need to stop now. I'd like to try this filter if I can find a couple at the local GM dealer...they seem to have lots of older stock around.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Rich's'78
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil filter

Yes, the truck-length filter is a bit longer and holds more oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Filter ?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Much more important than any extra oil volume is the fact that the larger filters have more filtering area. So the pressure drop across the filter is always less than the smaller filters. As I said before, the NAPA 1794 (made by Wix) is so large that it probably will never go into bypass mode, and you will get 100% of your oil filtered, 100% of the time.
Part B of that is, when you are changing your oil, fill the new filter almost to the top BEFORE you install it. That way, you don't run on zero oil pressure for any length of time on initial startup, while the filter is filling up.
Use the markings on your dipstick to adjust your oil level.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
1BAD80
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run AC # PF-932 2 qt. and can order from any good part's shop.
Cost around $12.00

There are a few others that cross reference to it.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Much more important than any extra oil volume is the fact that the larger filters have more filtering area. So the pressure drop across the filter is always less than the smaller filters. As I said before, the NAPA 1794 (made by Wix) is so large that it probably will never go into bypass mode, and you will get 100% of your oil filtered, 100% of the time.
Part B of that is, when you are changing your oil, fill the new filter almost to the top BEFORE you install it. That way, you don't run on zero oil pressure for any length of time on initial startup, while the filter is filling up.
Use the markings on your dipstick to adjust your oil level.

Nice tech, thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter ?