C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 cold air intake--on LS3!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default You could use an L88 hood and adapt it to Kaos idea...

You could then use the cowl induction to supply air to the intake...kinda-sorta like my contraption for cold air intake but a lot less work.....you could probably modify an L88 hood to supply air to this intake quite easily.

Google this "Camaro LT1 SS intake" and you may save yourself some fabrication.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettegineer

On your walk around video Riggs (my wife has confirmed I'm nuts now that I'm watching cars run on YouTube), the Kooks look low. How low is your ride compared to stock? Wheels/tires dropped some, springs lowered some--maybe 2"? Do you ever scrape--or is it in that sweet spot just above scraping?

I checked out the link in Riggs build thread for power steering reservoir. I did the hydroboost, SS lines, Willwood calipers and rotors all around about three months ago. I like the looks of it, and it seems like you have three connections. First, does it have two for the return, and second, do they sell just the reservoir? Seemed like full kits only--I haven't called yet though. I can run a Y, but think two returns might look cleaner(?)

You need a new under-hood insulation blanket Riggs--something with two black stripes down it maybe! Maybe I'll wear out the new Firestones sooner than anticipated!

The car is at a sweet spot for its ride height, It's lowered about 1.5 to 2 inches, it scrapes in only some server step drive and large speed bumps, but over all does very well. The exhaust right off the header could be a little higher but its what I fabed together to get the car back out for the end on the driving season.

The return lines on the power steering reservoire are Y'ed together and then run to the reservoire as one line, I do believe they offer a canister with two returns. And yes they offer it separately, that's how I bought mine.

Funny, that hood insulation does need to go. I am doing some body mods to the car this winter, a new hood will be on the list, thats why I haven't bothered with the insulation

As far as black Stripes, That's actually one the names of the car, but not because it sports any stripes, LOL

Riggs
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted on this forum a few times for help, and gotten it, but never as much as this time. I've decided to mount the LS3 with Dirty Dingo mounts--they can put me at stock, +3/4, and +1.75. I'm betting the 3/4 is good. I'll be using a corvette front accessory kit, so will be an inch or a little shorter than Riggs's truck accessories, so worst case, the 1.75 will fit.

I asked about cold air intake, and learned more than I thought I could. Seems I'll have plenty of hp even sucking hot air, but if I want to--the best way is probably the LT1 style using the L88 hood. That will be a second, fun project after the motor is leaving black stripes.

The headers answer is best of all--I can get the Kooks, not settle for Melrose, and they can fit. As I do my build, I'll take pics, and create a build thread. I come back and post a link to it here for you guys to check it out.

Guys--get out and vote for Freedom in America over the next few days. Lets vote for the American candidate!

Thanks MUCH for your help. Les
Old 02-01-2013, 01:58 AM
DEEPSEA70
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hood Hinges

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Gary, Yes I have heard that also and would rather do the setup in front of the rad. The probelm is wit hthe current hood design the hood will not be able to open fully. I have tried this. My brother in law in his 67 modified the hood hinges so the hood picks up like the newer Vettes. This works very well and looks really cool but requires mods. Also the rad. support has to be modded in order to get it over the support and under the hood. Like I said I have more work to do once I get back to the project. Definitley a better setup though the one yo usuggest. I was just throwing out options

Here yo ucan see on Jeffs car the hood opening up differently and the cold air over the radiator. He dropped the support down some and modded it. Obviously everything on this car is custom

Gordon,

I'm working on making this set up work and I think I can. Still need to do some fabrimodification and was wondering if you knew which hinges your brother-in-law used. I'm looking at the C6 hinges, but need to figure out what works best. Hope all is well. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Pretty sure he used C5 hinges on his car. They were modified somewhat to make them fit obviously. I do know he is working with another vendor on this type of hinge for C3 cars. Nothing that will be available right away but I do know there will be some good things coming for C3 cars. This vendor does some very cool and trick pieces.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

The C6 hinges look a lot like trunk hinges. Might be a lot easier to find trunk hinges at the local pull-a-part. Or something like these universal trunk hinges from Speedway.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any new ideas on cold air. Hopefully installing my LS next week and don't currently have a plan for cold air. Maybe a different core support to make some room over the top.

Last edited by donnie1956; 03-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Awesome job on the radiator support. That should help to stiffen the front up some.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 AM
DEEPSEA70
Racer

Default LS3 intake

I was going to try and use the C6 and modified hinges, but decided after cramming the dry sump oil tank, and accessories; I was done with advanced geometry. Time to get it on the road.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Where did you get the elbow from? Are you using MAF or speed density?
Originally Posted by DEEPSEA70
I was going to try and use the C6 and modified hinges, but decided after cramming the dry sump oil tank, and accessories; I was done with advanced geometry. Time to get it on the road.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Awesome job on the radiator support. That should help to stiffen the front up some.
Not my design but you get the idea.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
DEEPSEA70
Racer

Originally Posted by donnie1956
Where did you get the elbow from? Are you using MAF or speed density?
Using the MAF once the harness comes back. Elbow is from Street and Performance.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Vettegineer
Advanced

I'm still not there. I'd like to try a trick way of getting cold air, but just getting the LS3 in is quite a time eater. In fact, it seems like the more I take out the more that needs to be fixed! I just ordered a bunch of front suspension stuff--while I'm in there. The motor looks real nice in the garage though!

I'm betting I buy an elbow and live with warm air until I get the itch for the next project. I'm with DeepSea ----time to get it on the road!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 AM
vettestu
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Dont think youll ever see a measurable difference but personally I like the idea of cooler intake air also

Think cooling the fuel would help more.
If you can find a XJS jaguar in a wrecking yard, the V12 has a AC fed
fuel cooler.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Garys 68
On my LS swap, I didnt have room to run the air intake right or left due to the AC compressor and alternator. And I was using a mechanical fan, so strait ahead was out of the question. So with the L88 hood, I wrapped around the intake tube, and put the filter on top of manifold. It draws air from the back of the hood.

Another pic.
In progress, the metal hold down box was intended as a temprary fix, but I never swapped it out. I also mounted the TAC module to the back.
Garry,

Due to space constraints I need to solve the CAI on my itb's as well. Do you have dimensions on this as I could use a similar setup and I have a problem measuring the distance of the hood to the enginevalve covers.

There are a couple of other questions though : what airfilter do you use and how do you prevent hot air creeps in there ? Did you make some sort of enclosure in the hood so that it can only draw air from the rear ?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep in mind this is on a 6.0 LSx swap with the standard adapter plates that move the engine/trans forward about 1". What measirements do you need? The 3 piece coil cover section? The air box?
Since the 6.0 LQ9 came from an 02 escalade, I used an 02 escalade filter (easy to remember).
I was planning on sealing it better, but when monitiring intake air temps, I found they would only rise at low speed or idling. Although I still might fabricate something to make the inside of the hood look better.

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
Garry,

Due to space constraints I need to solve the CAI on my itb's as well. Do you have dimensions on this as I could use a similar setup and I have a problem measuring the distance of the hood to the enginevalve covers.

There are a couple of other questions though : what airfilter do you use and how do you prevent hot air creeps in there ? Did you make some sort of enclosure in the hood so that it can only draw air from the rear ?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Keep in mind this is on a 6.0 LSx swap with the standard adapter plates that move the engine/trans forward about 1". What measirements do you need? The 3 piece coil cover section? The air box?
Since the 6.0 LQ9 came from an 02 escalade, I used an 02 escalade filter (easy to remember).
I was planning on sealing it better, but when monitiring intake air temps, I found they would only rise at low speed or idling. Although I still might fabricate something to make the inside of the hood look better.
You're right. Dimensions between an ls and an gen I sbc will not be the same I guess.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Vettegineer
Advanced

I love the idea about the fuel cooling with the XJS system. I wonder if I can buy that as a package deal somewhere. I'll try to find it--thanks for the suggestion. Truth is that cold fuel has more thermodynamic heat holding capacity than the air anyway--at least I'd guess it without doing the math.

I'll check into it.

Quick Reply: C3 cold air intake--on LS3!