C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission?

This is actually going to be for my truck, but it's a TH350. I figured maybe someone here has done it before..?
Old 06-04-2002, 05:21 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (Ken73)

I was curious about this as well. I am wondering how big of a job it is.
thanks
-terry
Old 06-04-2002, 05:29 PM
76greg
Racer

I have. Get a rebuild manual and a video specific to the TH-350. Got them both from J.C. Whitney. Some special tools needed, but I improvised and still got it right. I also put in a shift kit while I was into it. Clean work area is a must as well as plenty work space to lay out the parts. The video is very helpfull as you can watch it several times before you get into your trans. Keep everything CLEAN on reassembly! Good Luck!

Greg :seeya

[Modified by 76greg, 3:30 PM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-04-2002, 05:31 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (76greg)

No bootleg available? Come on, help a brother out! :jester

BTW I don't need it, staying manual.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:37 PM
robzr
Burning Brakes

I just did my first rebuild last saturday, it was a th350. It's a job, takes a long time - although I hear people who are used to doing it can get it done very quickly. Took us many hours. It's not really that hard, you do have to have a lot of area to work in and to lay parts out in the same order in which they came out. I highly recommend the book by Ron Sessions on the TH350, well worth it. I put in an Art Carr shift kit, new clutches, and a hardened intermediate sprag race and new sprag, new adjustable vacuum modulator and new chrome pan.

I got the rebuild kit from eBay a while ago for around $60 (the same kit phoenix hard parts is selling it on ebay for $89, the Natpro kit), it had Borg Warner clutches, seals, o rings and gaskets. A much better deal than the $100+ TCI kits from summit it looks like. I also got the hardened intermediate sprag outer race and sprag for $35 from a guy who sells on ebay, nice pieces and again a much better deal than the summit stuff.

Things that I wish I had gotten in the rebuild kit were thrust washers, bands, some bushings and steel plates that go between the clutches.

I have a couple pics on my digital cam I can upload if anyone is interesting, how it looked with everything laying out. We layed down mylar on a garage floor to give ourselves enough room and a clean working environment. It was fun.

Rob

Old 06-04-2002, 06:19 PM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (robzr)

Try http://www.northernautoparts.com for rebuild kits and shift kits. Fast and friendly service. My rebuild kit had clutch discs, steel plates, gaskets, seals, bushings, etc. The only thing missing for a good rebuild was thrust washers. Get some special assembly lube also and soak the clutch plates in clean trans. fluid before installing. They carry a rebuild manual as well.

Greg :yesnod:
Old 06-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to school on auto trans's years ago. I have done several including 700R4's. A few tips... NO rags anywhere around the work area.. Absolutetly clean is essential. You can not do this in a dirt driveway. Use mineral spirits to clean everything. Blow everything dry. Get a good book like the factory manual that shows all of the thrust washers and which way they go. Do not skip any seals.. This means that you have to take all of the pistons out. Use "trans gel" or vaseline to hold things in place. Turn the input shaft after every step so if it won't turn you can fix it then. soak all clutch disks and the band(s) in fliud for a few hours. You can do it!!! :cool:
Old 06-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (76greg)

I already have a pretty good manual (have to go find it now.. d'oh!) that shows the TH350 in specific. I just need a basic rebuild on the trans, it's not going to be in a Vette, just in my truck. I found the rebuild kit on Ebay for $41, appears to come with everything?

I think all that's really hosed is my clutches - and there's already a shift kit in it.. it should be re-useable?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (silvervetteman)

I went to school on auto trans's years ago. I have done several including 700R4's. A few tips... NO rags anywhere around the work area.. Absolutetly clean is essential. You can not do this in a dirt driveway. Use mineral spirits to clean everything. Blow everything dry. Get a good book like the factory manual that shows all of the thrust washers and which way they go. Do not skip any seals.. This means that you have to take all of the pistons out. Use "trans gel" or vaseline to hold things in place. Turn the input shaft after every step so if it won't turn you can fix it then. soak all clutch disks and the band(s) in fliud for a few hours. You can do it!!! :cool:
Cool! Thanks for the encouragement. Between Aaron and I, we've tackled some pretty hefty stuff. I think this is just one of those "new" things that niether of us has done before, but I'm willing to tackle it.

I have a 2 car garage (no cars) to rebuild it in, so dirt shouldn't be a problem. The only real difficulty is going to be getting it off of the engine and off of the big heavy transfer case! (4x4)
Old 06-04-2002, 08:48 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a TH350 and a TH400 - all the above is good advice, the best of which is keep it clean - think like a surgeon - I did mine wearing latex gloves on top of a steel work table.

Vaseline is usefull, be very patient and test fit parts as often as possible.

It can be done - I wont do it again - I hate ATF :lol:
Old 06-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Stevo81
Pro

Not the type of job for lots of volunteers, beer, dirt or haste. Maybe you could pick up a junker for cheap and just tear into it as practice. If you drop the slippery devil and crack the case....oh poopie.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Chucks76
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (Stevo)

The most time consuming part of it is spent over the solvent tank cleaning parts :D
Old 06-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done a bunch and all the above is good advice. Be advised that automatics have LOTS of razor sharp edges inside and out. Just be aware of it and you'll be fine. The part about no beer is good advice as well! THM 350's are a good one to start with. Only the powerglides are simpler.

Hans
Old 06-05-2002, 02:48 PM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission? (Wrencher)

I rebuilt quite a few 700R-4s while working for a Chevy dealer in the mid-80s. Those transmissions had not been out for long and there were a lot of bugs in the design at the time. It was a pretty complex process but with the right tools and good organization, not that hard. I agree with the above post regarding a good book and video. They will walk you step by step through the process. Although, for the price of the book, video, and tools, you can probably get it rebuilt by a good shop.

dl

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission?

Quick Reply: Has anyone here actually rebuilt an automatic transmission?