C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another hood clearance question.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Another hood clearance question.......

Anybody out there running a Performer intake, Holley 4150 style carb, 1" spacer, 1 1/4" dropped base 3" element air cleaner, under a '80-'82 hood? I'm getting ready to make some measurements, just wondering if anybody else is running it successfully before I bother. Thanks,

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM
77vetteluva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how the clearance compares 80-82 to my 77 L-48 but I had the same set up and it fit.....barely. I originally did not have the drop base and it didn't fit. I think the drop base I have now is either 1 or 1.25" and I am pleased with the fit. Hope this helps.

-Rick
Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be tight. You may have to go to a thinner spacer and/or a 2" high flow filter instead of the 3". I'm using a Weiand 8004 intake which is .6" lower in the back than the Edelbrock. A 1/4" spacer and 2" filter and dropped base air cleaner. I have 1" of hood clearence. This is on a 80.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Measure carefully and don't make the same mistake many others do-
Shorten the height of the air filter to accommodate a spacer under the carb and thereby choking the airflow into the engine.

You'll always be better off having a taller air filter element vs choking the carb for a spacer under it. A spacer doesn't do much good if you can't get air into the engine.

Rule of thumb is that you need at least 3/4" above the carb's vent tubes to the bottom of the air cleaner lid for proper operation. If you have a 1 1/4" drop base air cleaner and a 2" filter, you most likely won't have enough air flow to the carb if you plan on using all the flow that new carb and intake have to offer.
Just my 2 cents.
Elm
Old 10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
pawpaws toy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ezobens
Shorten the height of the air filter to accommodate a spacer under the carb and thereby choking the airflow into the engine.

You'll always be better off having a taller air filter element vs choking the carb for a spacer under it. A spacer doesn't do much good if you can't get air into the engine.

Rule of thumb is that you need at least 3/4" above the carb's vent tubes to the bottom of the air cleaner lid for proper operation. If you have a 1 1/4" drop base air cleaner and a 2" filter, you most likely won't have enough air flow to the carb if you plan on using all the flow that new carb and intake have to offer.
Just my 2 cents.
Elm
That is all correct. On my setup I can now use a 3" filter.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

I think it'll work, but it's gonna be tight. And I mean tighter than a frog's butt, and that's water-tight! I am running an Edelbrock Performer 2101, Holley 1850 carb, a 1/16" steel adapter that I fabricated myself (spreadbore intake, squarebore carb), with two .030" gaskets. 1 1/4" dropped base air cleaner with a 3" element. Play-do on the air cleaner, shut the hood, open the hood and measuring the Play-do with a caliper shows 1 3/16" of clearance at the tightest spot. So, with a 1" spacer, that should leave me with 3/16" of clearance between the air cleaner and the hood. I'm going to try it, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think that combo will fit.

I have a Holley 4150 style carb on a GM Performance 12486571 dual plane intake with a 1 1/2" dropped base 3" element air cleaner under an '80 stock hood, WITHOUT any space. I think the Performer intake is hair taller than the GMPP 12486571 intake. Maybe someone can verify or correct that comparison.

The air cleaner lid is so close to the underside of the hood that I can't use a standard lid lug and wing nut. Instead, I use a 1/2" flat head bolt to hold the air cleaner lid down.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I don't think that combo will fit.

I have a Holley 4150 style carb on a GM Performance 12486571 dual plane intake with a 1 1/2" dropped base 3" element air cleaner under an '80 stock hood, WITHOUT any space. I think the Performer intake is hair taller than the GMPP 12486571 intake. Maybe someone can verify or correct that comparison.

The air cleaner lid is so close to the underside of the hood that I can't use a standard lid lug and wing nut. Instead, I use a 1/2" flat head bolt to hold the air cleaner lid down.
Well, I measured it, and those were the numbers I got. I don't know what else to say.

I'm going to try it, and I will let you guys know how it works out, one way or another.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Just my 2 cents.
Elm
Here is a quick and easy way to see how much clearance you have between the air cleaner lid and the bowl vents: Take the wing nut off of the stud, and mark the stud where it meets the air cleaner lid with a Sharpie or something. Then remove the air cleaner. Set the air cleaner base and the air filter aside, and put the air cleaner lid back on. The distance from the air cleaner lid to the mark on the stud is the clearance. Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

1975 Corvette with a 77 hood - Performer manifold, vortec heads, Holley HP830 carb, drop base, K&N air filter with a K&N air filter lid... I clear the hood by maybe 3/8". It's so close that if I forget the hold down nut, the lid won't come off at speed.

oh yeah, and no hood insulation
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Code Blu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 77 I am using a performer RPM intake with a 670 Holley Street Avenger with a drop base Moroso air cleaner and a 3" KN Air Filter. This is under a stock hood with no underhood insulation. I want to use a smaller air cleaner to show off the carb but, nothing has worked so far except for this set up. The thing I like about the Moroso air cleaner is the lid has a recess for the wing nut. I am using a low profile wing nut to keep everything as low as possible. Works for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:06 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Neither one of you guys mentioned how much the air cleaner base drops. That's important information. All the rest of it doesn't mean much if you don't know how much the drop is. It's an unknown variable in the equation, if you see what I mean.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

sorry, that is... 2" drop, 3" filter, the lid peaks about 1"

also, my body mounts are probably as old as the car - so figure it dropped 1/4-1/2 inch
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Here is a quick and easy way to see how much clearance you have between the air cleaner lid and the bowl vents: Take the wing nut off of the stud, and mark the stud where it meets the air cleaner lid with a Sharpie or something. Then remove the air cleaner. Set the air cleaner base and the air filter aside, and put the air cleaner lid back on. The distance from the air cleaner lid to the mark on the stud is the clearance. Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy!
I just measure the height of the vent tube from the air cleaner flange on the carb and then measure the distance from the air cleaner's mounting flange to the bottom of the lid with the air filter installed and subtract the difference.
Remember, most lids are higher in the middle than at the edge so if you are measuring the center height at the stud, it will be taller than where the vent tubes are actually located.

I have a 69' with a 73' hood and a 409 SBC running a Professional Products 'Air Gap' knock-off (slightly shorter than the Edelbrock, I believe) and a Quick Fuel SS830 carb. With a 1/4" insulator gasket and a 3 3/4" tall filter, I have about 1/4" gap between the center of the air filter to the hood. I am using the stock 69' open element, drop base air cleaner.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

I just measure the height of the vent tube from the air cleaner flange on the carb and then measure the distance from the air cleaner's mounting flange to the bottom of the lid with the air filter installed and subtract the difference.
Remember, most lids are higher in the middle than at the edge so if you are measuring the center height at the stud, it will be taller than where the vent tubes are actually located.

I have a 69' with a 73' hood and a 409 SBC running a Professional Products 'Air Gap' knock-off (slightly shorter than the Edelbrock, I believe) and a Quick Fuel SS830 carb. With a 1/4" insulator gasket and a 3 3/4" tall filter, I have about 1/4" gap between the center of the air filter to the hood. I am using the stock 69' open element, drop base air cleaner.
In my method, you are not measuring the height of the center of the air cleaner lid, you're just using the stud to measure the distance between the bowl vents and the air cleaner lid when it is installed. Think about it: Air cleaner installed normally. Now lower the lid till it's touching the bowl vents. See how much more of the stud is sticking up? That's how far away from the bowl vents the lid was before you moved it. And you didn't even have to make any measurements or do any math.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
sorry, that is... 2" drop, 3" filter, the lid peaks about 1"

also, my body mounts are probably as old as the car - so figure it dropped 1/4-1/2 inch
2" seems like an awful lot of drop. How are we supposed to measure air cleaner drop, anyway? From the top of the base to the bottom of the base? Or from the carb sealing flange to the bottom of the base? If we are going to share info, we all need to be on the same sheet of music.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 PM
ezobens
Drifting

In my method, you are not measuring the height of the center of the air cleaner lid, you're just using the stud to measure the distance between the bowl vents and the air cleaner lid when it is installed. Think about it: Air cleaner installed normally. Now lower the lid till it's touching the bowl vents. See how much more of the stud is sticking up? That's how far away from the bowl vents the lid was before you moved it. And you didn't even have to make any measurements or do any math.
Ahh.. Makes sense!
I didn't follow that from your description, my bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Another hood clearance question.......

Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
ezobens
Drifting

2" seems like an awful lot of drop. How are we supposed to measure air cleaner drop, anyway? From the top of the base to the bottom of the base? Or from the carb sealing flange to the bottom of the base? If we are going to share info, we all need to be on the same sheet of music.
The way I measure drop is the distance the lower edge of the filter element is below the air cleaner flange on the carb (or the level of the air cleaner's mounting surface to the carb) without the gasket.
Basically, place the base on a flat surface and measure the distance from the flat surface to the carb opening mounting 'lip' on the base.
That's your drop.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

The way I measure drop is the distance the lower edge of the filter element is below the air cleaner flange on the carb (or the level of the air cleaner's mounting surface to the carb) without the gasket.
Basically, place the base on a flat surface and measure the distance from the flat surface to the carb opening mounting 'lip' on the base.
That's your drop.
That's how I've always thought of it, too. So, if you have a true 2" drop with a 3" element, you've only got an inch of filter above the air cleaner flange. The air cleaner lid goes up some, but still, I'd be worried about the lid being too close to the bowl vents. The thing about that is that if the lid is too close to the vents, the air rushing past can make a venturi effect, lessening the air pressure that is on the fuel in the fuel bowl, causing problems, especially at high rpm.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
actually, they make even more of a drop; and side filters.... but I digress.
2" drop is from where the filter rests to the flat part that rests on the carb). That said, a 2" drop requires kick-outs on the base to clear the carb and allow your linkage to move without hitting the air filter base)....
I'll see about pictures tonight.

Quick Reply: Another hood clearance question.......